Sign in to follow this  
blave

I want to learn instrument approaches!

I asked this question a while ago and got the usual responses but I was wondering if there is anyone in the DC area willing to show me how to do an instrument approach in fsx? I am about tapped out flying around VFR and want to start graduating up to more advanced flight but there are no videos or in depth detailed step by step guides on how to do it. If there are any real world pilots or skilled instrument simmers in my area that wouldn't mind loading up a flight and showing me how to do an ILS approach by gps/vor/etc I would be eternally grateful! I know it's a strange request but I don't see myself ever picking this up by watching the fsx tutorials ;)________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Sign up on Vatsim and then go to www.laartcc.org. There you will find a pilot certification program complete with detailed tutorials and full scripts for flying online with Vatsim. The course takes you from simple VFR patterns through full complex IFR procedures. Mark.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

>Dave, this will get you started!>>A very good read and understanding of your request....>>http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ils.htm>>Cheers,>>MitchThe site that Mitch suggested... is the best. Its the place to start.Infact.. Thats the web site.. that started me on the Journey of not only flight simming but also real world flying.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Hey, give a look to this also.http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=main/howto/ilstutor.htmHappy Landings!

Intel Core i7 2600K @ 4.60GHz | Corsair Vengeance Pro 16 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1600MHz (9-9-9-24) | ASUSTeK P8P67 DELUXE | EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6GB Superclocked ACX 2.0+ | Samsung SSD 860 EVO 2TB | Crucial CT1000MX500 1TB | 2 x Western Digital WDC WD40EZRX 4TB | Creative X-Fi Audio Processor | NEC 24WMGX3 MultiSync | Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks all. I have seen sites like this before but I work better when I see it live in person one time. It's hard to get the feel of anything when just reading about it. I would like to spend an hour or two with a real pilot and actually SEE it done if possible.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Dave - I can't take you up - but one of the best nav manuals comes with the US Air Force jet trainer - the T37 Tweet. You can download it here: the nav part begins somewhere around page 80.http://www.t37sim.com/

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

>Thanks all. I have seen sites like this before but I work>better when I see it live in person one time. It's hard to get>the feel of anything when just reading about it. I would like>to spend an hour or two with a real pilot and actually SEE it>done if possible.>________________________________________________________________________________________________>>Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz>| 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | >Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA>RAID-0 | >OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW |>Matrox Triplehead SetupDave, the real trouble, I've heard, with our area is being in the ADIZ. You could go down to Culpeper though. Even though there isn't full ILS there (just a localizer I believe), someone might be willing to fly a flight plan into Manassas or better yet, Stafford, which has ILS on runway 33.I'm not a pilot myself, but I've met some nice people out there.

I was talking about a pilot showing me in the sim, not actually taking me up. If they can do it in the real world then i assume that they can do it in the sim since the systems are modeled accurately. There are people that fly instrument approaches in cessnas all the time online i am sure. I just want to sit back and listen to them describe the procedure and do it in the sim as i watch ;)________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

>I was talking about a pilot showing me in the sim, not>actually taking me up. If they can do it in the real world>then i assume that they can do it in the sim since the systems>are modeled accurately. There are people that fly instrument>approaches in cessnas all the time online i am sure. I just>want to sit back and listen to them describe the procedure and>do it in the sim as i watch ;)I know what you mean about watching someone do it in the sim. That can be major helpful. The key is to ALWAYS DECLINE THE APPROACH THAT FS'S ATC GIVES YOU. Then you can manually select in the ATC menus, the exact approach you want to use.I could show you the ARC-DME approach to Rwy 9? at MGGT. :DThat would break you in right. :D :DRhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Now THAT's what i am talking about! I learn by visual cues and learn very quickly once i see it one time. Any DC pro simmers or pilots out there that can help a budding pilot out? ;)________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

Another thing AstroDave could do (and it's very cheap) is to buy an FAA Instrument groundschool/test course, like this one:http://www.dauntless-soft.com/PRODUCTS/GroundSchool/ifr.aspIt's very cheap, and it's certainly a good way to learn the regulatory side of IFR, which is just as important as the stick-and-rudder side.Just do the practice tests and study the answers.Cheers,Bryan

I did the fxs lessons on VOR and ILS approaches lastnight and those things are just plain terrible. They don't describe what frequencies you enter and when and don't explain why you are doing anything about why things are being done the way they are. If you don't follow instructions perfectly then the lesson ends. I assume that info might be in the approach plate but I never printed it out and would have to decipher it anyway since I have never used one before. I also managed to land the plane on the ILS lesson using the autopilot and when I landed i sat on the runway waiting for instructions only to have Rod tell me that I seem distracted? These lessons seem like they were about halfway completed and then abandoned. ________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup