Sign in to follow this  
blave

I want to learn instrument approaches!

Astro dave,we can do dual in FSX. But you need to have an IFR understanding first. There is a ground school part and then there is the art of flying an IFR approaches. You need the ground school part first. Those links that Mitch provided is that ground school. It does not teach you the procedure of "How to" but it does tell you the "What" component of it.http://www.navfltsm.addr.com/ils.htm You need to know what is an outer marker... what does "no PT" mean? You need to read and interpret the ILS approach plates. What is the difference between DA and MDA?You need to understand what is what...before the "How to" part.:)Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

something else you might find useful - there are numerous short videos on YouTube, for e.g.:

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks all. I know there is a ton of info out there, but digesting it all is the hard part. That's why seeing it done in person would be the easiest thing for me. It's hard to take all this book info and associate it with a visual representation of what the author is trying to convey.________________________________________________________________________________________________Intel D975XBX2 'Bad Axe 2' | Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.20Ghz | 2 GB Super Talent DDR2 800 | Big Typhoon VX | eVGA 8800GTS @ 565/900 | Seagate 2x320GB SATA RAID-0 | OCZ GameXStream 700W | Creative X-Fi | Silverstone TJ-09BW | Matrox Triplehead Setup

There are a lot of great suggestions here, some of which I need to go follow up on myself.But my reason for posting is - I've been watching this thread for the last few days, and I can't imagine that what you want/need can't be done using FS-X's multiplayer mode, preferably with a rated real life/simulator pilot on the other side of the "cockpit".There's no magic involved in flying IFR, and if you truly want to do it "right" then you should digest some of the FAA/etc. links provided in previous posts. IFR flying is, up to a point, very procedural and only a lot of reading (and digesting that reading) will make you a capable IFR pilot in FS.Right after I got my instrument rating in, um, I think it was 2002, I came aross an excellent narrative book by an experienced pilot that I found to be fascinating reading. I wouldn't normally recommend it for a casual sim pilot, but it might be just the ticket for you:http://www.mypilotstore.com/MyPilotStore/sep/2206It is only a little bit outdated now, since WAAS GPS has come out since it was published, and it will get you quite a ways down the path of understanding the (again) procedure of flying IFR - and interestingly, most of the screen shots in the book were taken using a flight simulator (Elite)! Good luck in your quest; it's an admirable one, and I have to say that getting my real life ratings (private and instrument) have really made me appreciate just how DEEP FS (-9 or -X) is. The boys in Redmond have done a helluva job.Dave Blevins

System: Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 mobo *** i7 2700K @ 5gHz w/ Corsair H80 cooler

NVidia GTX 570 OC *** 8 GB 1600 Corsair Vengeance DRAM *** CoolerMaster HAF X case

System overclocked and tuned for FSX by fs-gs.com

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog stick/throttle & CH Products Pro Pedals

Various GoFlight panels *** PFC avionics stack