Sign in to follow this  
mihalich

Vector off star is missing crossing of the diverging point

Hey Dave,

First I've attached the full log for this issue.  This has happened to me more than once, but it's not consistent.

Versions of Software:

Xplane: XP 11 (11.5 Latest)

P2ATC: Latest Beta 8B

I was doing a flight in XP-11 from KMCO - KEWR.  The flight plan was setup as: FATHE3 VIYAP Q87 JROSS DCT FLO DCT TUBAS DCT FOZZY DCT FAK PHLBO3, with the approach as ILS 22L.

At or around MARRT in the STAR, it vectored me off the STAR, which was fine.  Given that it gives you the vectors right at the point where you need to turn, it takes like 10-ish seconds to get the flight into HDG mode and the heading modified to turn in the right direction towards the vector path.  As such, by the time i got the plane turned and headed towards the path i was a tiny bit beyond the diverging point (initial vector waypoint) off the star.  Still all good.  It gave me a heading update to get me back to the vector path.  However, it did not update the active waypoint to be the next waypoint in the vector.  It must have not thought that i passed the initial waypoint.  Cuz shortly after i was back on course, it told me to turn in the opposite direction to head back to the initial waypoint of the vector path.

In the log, the vectoring starts on line 1484.  The sending me in the opposite direction happens at line 1595.

Log: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xmnZKKmAF0_5sABUbFYA3KTESVFG4XEF/view?usp=sharing

Thanks,

Joe

Edited by mihalich

The same thing has happened to me twice in the last day or so since updating to Beta 8B, although I would have struggled to explain it as clearly as that. These were flights into LFML and LFPG with Prepar3d V5.3.  I think I'll revert to my previous version for the time being. 

Dave - i had a similar issue with vectors on a 19 DME arc going into KEAT. The vectors started about 5 minutes into entering the arc and got me lined up to intercept the ILS localizer. I tried picking up the localizer manually (since no "join the approach..." message came from ATC), but ATC  decided I was off course. The vectors then sent me north over 40 miles from KEAT. I disconnected at that point.

Log file was sent to your email, along with a screenshot of the approach.

Pete

P.S. sent an email to you with more details.

Dave, also on this subject, i have a feature request that would be really nice.

If the app knows it's going to vector you off the flight plan path, it would be nice it this could be indicated ahead of time somehow so we can adjust our descent profile accordingly. A lot of times, since we don't know if a vector is really going to happen, and then it does and cuts off significant distance, i wind up being way too high at the initial vector point.

I was thinking one of two ways would work:

1) Have the approach button show what the currently anticipated vector path will be at least by TOD.  I thought i read in a previous beta release notes that the APPR button was supposed to do this now.  Maybe i misread it though.

2) Sometime at or shortly after TOD, it could give a verbal indication of the vectors like, "expect vectors at <fix/waypoint>, descend to cross <fix/waypoint> at <required-altitude-at-initial-vector-waypoint>"

...or however it would be done irl.

Thanks,

Joe

Yeah, the one to the right of the map is the one i was talking about.  The only thing it shows for me ever, is the final approach line.  It does not show any vector path, until it actually vectors me.

Joe

You have to have the approach in the flight plan for it to show you what kind of approach you will be getting.  And, until it starts giving vectors, it only approximates the start point.  

If you don't have an approach in your plan and are waiting for ATC to assign it, then you won't get the depiction until after it is selected and you are getting vectors.

Dave

Hmm, ok.  

Does having an approach selected include me select "Vectors to <iaf>" as the approach?  That's what i usually chose and it only shows me the "on final path".  Or do i actually have to specify a actual iaf in the approach to get it to show?

Joe