Sign in to follow this  
dave2013

ORBX openLC Asia Officially Dead

Well, ORBX finally admitted that their promised openLC for Asia is no longer in development.

The single developer apparently is located in Ukraine, so it is understandable that he is no longer able to continue work on the project.  Of course, I wish him all the best under the circumstances.

It is unfortunate that ORBX announced 2 years ago that they were working on the project and that it would be split into 3 phases, and they didn't even manage to complete the first phase.

They refused for many months to provide even a brief update on its progress, and when they finally did they stated that the developer had resumed work on it.  Then they again refused to provide any updates for several months, and now have finally admitted the truth that the project is dead.

They have locked all threads about openLC Asia as it is clear they want nothing further to do with it.

ORBX is clearly 100% devoted to MSFS now and couldn't care less about openLC, yet they continue to claim that they are indeed still interested in P3D.

How sad.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Upvote 3

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

It all went south when JV (John Venema) stepped down as CEO .

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Jack_Sawyer said:

I would love to comment on this but it's better not to.

I am reading your mind Jack😊

Greg

• Like 3

Greg Morin

Commercial ASMEL Instrument CFI

Beta Tester i Blue Yonder, Flightbeam and Milviz

Just now, gregmorin said:

I am reading your mind Jack😊

Greg

😀😃😄😆😅🤣😂

• Like 2

Jack Sawyer

Here is the quote:

Unfortunately, this is on hold indefinitely as our Ukrainian developer is unable to work. Difficult to predict when this may come back into our roadmap. Sad circumstances.

Source

"On hold indefinitely" admittedly doesn't sound good, but I wouldn't go so far to say it's "dead". At least not at the moment.

• Like 1

Best regards, Dimitrios

7950X - 32 GB - RX6800 - TrackIR - Power-LC M39 WQHD - Honeycomb Alpha yoke, Saitek pedals & throttles in a crummy home-cockpit - MSFS for Pilotedge, P3D for everything else

Yeah it's not "officially" dead.

I'd say perhaps it's unlikely to arrive though. The P3D market is small now and the amount of work creating the land classes would hardly be worth the ROI.

It sucks as I was still looking forward to it despite using MSFS. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, johnbow72 said:

It all went south when JV (John Venema) stepped down as CEO .

You are quite right - in that John handed over the reins of the operations as C.E.O. in Sept 2019

-- but you left out the fact that as at June 2021 - John still owns around 95% of the company's shares

and I doubt that he would allow any "Going South" as you call it😉

• Like 1

Shame to hear about the demise of LC Asia. I agree its unlikely to make it to market based on Anna's last comments.

In addition, its quite disappointing that out of Orbx's announcements on what's to come in 2022 regarding new releases for P3D, the only one that came to fruition was Prague.

Apart from that, KPBI and TE Eastern Alps also have not made it this year, thus far. And a number of conversions from P3Dv4 to v5 have also not occurred. I guess they have been busy making Orbs instead! 🙃

• Like 2

Spoiler

System specs: MFG Crosswind pedals| ACE B747 yoke |Honeycomb Bravo throttle
Now built: P3Dv5.3HF2: Intel i5-12600K @4.8Ghz | MSI Z690-A PRO | Asus TUF Gaming RTX3070 OC 8Gb| 32Gb Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200Mhz |Samsung 980Evo Pro PCIe 500Gb | WD Black SN850 PCIe 2Tb | beQuiet 802 Tower Case|Corsair RM850 PSU | Acer Predator 34p 3440x1440p

Mark Aldridge
P3D v5.3 HF2, P3Dv4.5 and sometimes FSX!

Unless P3D v6.x is a complete game changer I'm afraid that this version of flight-simming is dead in the water. I very much doubt LM will bother to take on the MS/Asobo team as far as the entertainment market is concerned and will probably continue development of P3D for their own specific purposes.

The choice now is between X-Plane and MSFS.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

...until the day Microsoft shuts down the MSFS servers, which could happen at any time (yeah, I know there's allegedly a 10-year commitment. I don't buy that).

• Like 3

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS

Sounds like there's enough of the project completed that, if they were to find another developer, or the current developer were to resume work, they would continue the project. I can imagine this as a lot of work for one developer given that Asia is a big chunk of land. 

• Upvote 2

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

5 hours ago, Juliet Alpha said:

...until the day Microsoft shuts down the MSFS servers, which could happen at any time (yeah, I know there's allegedly a 10-year commitment. I don't buy that).

Then Lockheed would acquire it and create the new true to life Land, Sea and Air training software platform named Deploy3d™ 2030 with backwards compatibility to MSFS addons. 

• Like 5

lol, who knows...

12400F - 32GB DDR4 - RTX4070 - 1440p G-Sync UltraWide - Sennheiser GSX 1000 - O11 Air Mini - 1TB NVMe + 2TB SSD - Windows 11 Pro - Prepar3D 5.4 and MSFS