Sign in to follow this  
Matchstick

Cowansim MD500 to come to MSFS

Spotted a little snippet of news that Cowan Sim, the XP helicopter dev is looking to bring their excellent MD500E over to MSFS.

The project will be starting this winter though I suspect will take some time to deliver anything, but it's nice to know we should be getting the 500E at some point.

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/273711-x-plane-12-updates/&do=findComment&comment=2430873

• Like 1

Cool I didn't realize they were that close to release!

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

I'm all tied up with the 206, I may grab this one later.

Edited by blueshark747

Asus Maximus X Hero Z370/ Windows 10
MSI Gaming X 1080Ti (2100 mhz OC Watercooled)
8700k (4.7ghz OC Watercooled)
32GB DDR4 3000 Ram
500GB SAMSUNG 860 EVO SERIES SSD M.2

She's a lively one!   And definitely rewards a smooth hand on the cyclic.

Comes with an absolutely redonkulous amount of liveries.  I must have spent 45 minutes scrolling through them one by one in the hangar and drooling - they just keep coming!  If you're a fan of the MD500 you might find yourself whistling at some of them or having your jaw wide open, literally.   

The sounds seem OK (the wife is currently drowning me out while she watches her Andor Space Wars-thing on the big screen) and I mean to tell ya she is twitchy and jumpy (the helicopter not my wife) compared to the Bell 206 and others but a lot of fun once you reign her in!

Edited by Stoopy
  • Like 2

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

48 liveries included.... gotta be some kind of record?

"That's what" - She

For a good time, download my repaints for the RealAir Scout/Citabria/Decathlon in the AvSim library by clicking here!

I actually wish they'd include a few and have an option for more.  I need like 3 haha.  

I'm hoping for TDS GTNxi integration at some point - so much nicer to operate especially in VR.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

I went ahead and bought this as I quite enjoy his B206.

Just had time for a quick flight through the Swiss Alps, LOIJ - LOWI.  

First impressions:

- Flies nicely, very nimble and fast.  Requires a steady handy but great to fly.  Gains and sheds airspeed very quickly.

- Trims out nicely for cruising.

- You can easily exceed VNE and I was guilty of flying along at 145knots today.

- I found it relatively easy to land, my first touchdown was probably one of the best I've had in a MSFS helicopter so far.

- I could not get it started manually, tried three times following the checklist but the starter button for me was not responsive.  Not sure if I screwed something up but I'd be interested to hear from others if the starter button is working for you.

Overall  a nice addition to my growing chopper fleet.  I can see myself spending more time in this one than the 206.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

1 hour ago, regis9 said:

I went ahead and bought this as I quite enjoy his B206.

Just had time for a quick flight through the Swiss Alps, LOIJ - LOWI.  

First impressions:

- Flies nicely, very nimble and fast.  Requires a steady handy but great to fly.  Gains and sheds airspeed very quickly.

- Trims out nicely for cruising.

- You can easily exceed VNE and I was guilty of flying along at 145knots today.

- I found it relatively easy to land, my first touchdown was probably one of the best I've had in a MSFS helicopter so far.

- I could not get it started manually, tried three times following the checklist but the starter button for me was not responsive.  Not sure if I screwed something up but I'd be interested to hear from others if the starter button is working for you.

Overall  a nice addition to my growing chopper fleet.  I can see myself spending more time in this one than the 206.

Be sure to flick the ignition key down on the side of the pedestal, just to the left of the BATT switch.  

Agree on your impressions of how she flies.  I just did a nice flight down the California coast from KSBA to Long Beach (my usual shakedown route) and was able to trim her up pretty well for gentle fingertip flying.  Also yes, the speed can creep up on you in this one but it's also easy to bring the nose up a scooch and modulate it.   Was able to set down nicely on the Queen Mary helipad. 

A keeper for sure!!!

• Like 1

"That's what" - She

30 minutes ago, Stoopy said:

sure to flick the ignition key down on the side of the pedestal, just to the left of the BATT switch.  

Thanks, I’m thinking that’s what I missed. Will try shortly.

Dave

I too enjoyed the 206 so I got the 500E.

Now it is my favorite heli in MSFS.

It feels right, I did tune my curves a bit to make her a bit less twitchy, and now she flies like a dream. Just pay attention and don't loose concentration, she is very quick reacting. But still the easiest to t/o hover and taxi of all my helis in FS2020, I have about all of them.

I have never piloted a 500 IRL so I can't say if it is true to life. 

I highly recommend this one. FPS is very good on par with fixed wing planes about 7-10 fps better than FI 206 and a bit better than Covansim's 206 for me at least.

• Like 1

Pit.jpg

Com GA Pilot, Retired • MSFS 2020 • Gigabyte 8th gen lga1151 motherboard z2370 hd3, i5 8600 8th gen 4.3ghz, Thermaltake 750w power supply, 4 x 8gb ddr4 dimm, MSI force GTO 1070 8gb ddr5, 4 SSD's • 4K main display with 3 HD displays, one is a touch screen. Often used as 3 1080P NVIDEA surround screens and one HD touchscreen for AirManager

2 hours ago, 177B said:

I too enjoyed the 206 so I got the 500E.

Now it is my favorite heli in MSFS.

It feels right, I did tune my curves a bit to make her a bit less twitchy, and now she flies like a dream. Just pay attention and don't loose concentration, she is very quick reacting. But still the easiest to t/o hover and taxi of all my helis in FS2020, I have about all of them.

I have never piloted a 500 IRL so I can't say if it is true to life. 

I highly recommend this one. FPS is very good on par with fixed wing planes about 7-10 fps better than FI 206 and a bit better than Covansim's 206 for me at least.

Whats your curves? I think thats what is missing for me, otherwise feels oh so twitchy

TBH during my first flight last night I was kinda wondering if I would ever get to fly this thing smoothly but after some more time it is settling down - of course I also backed off my sensitivity curves to -40% for the cyclic axes.  

The only other thing I wasn't crazy about was the default pilot's eye viewpoint which is offset toward the center of the cockpit and too low and far back.  Fixed it:

https://flightsim.to/file/48949/improved-pilot-s-eyepoint-for-cowan-md500e

• Like 1

"That's what" - She

Its subjective but I find this heli just beautiful. Cries out 'must buy' even if I haven't had the time to devote to other helicopters in my hangar.