Sign in to follow this  
Twenty6

Kodiak 10-10-22 update throttles

5 minutes ago, BoneDaddy said:

Apologies if that seemed totally obvious - I was using the 'plus' icon to the right of the field and scrolling through the available variables, assuming that KodiakThrottle should be on it. Again, very much a newb at this.

I have now typed it in, and copy/pasted from earlier, mapped to an input, which I can see moving in the main A&O window but still no movement of the throttle.

Screenshots? Does it look EXACTLY like mine (inlcuding Axis Min and Max)? Did you follow the instructions to the letter?

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

6 minutes ago, BoneDaddy said:

I was using the 'plus' icon to the right of the field and scrolling through the available variables, assuming that KodiakThrottle should be on it.

Maybe it should be. I will put that on the list for the next version - I actually forgot about the "+", sorry.

LORBY-SI

24 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

inlcuding Axis Min and Max

I think I have followed everything to the letter except this - when I assign an axis - I am given values of -16838 to 16838.

I cannot type values into these fields, and I had assumed that these were the raw values of the (hall effect) sensors - or maybe what the firmware of the throttle (Virpil CM2) is reporting to windows after being calibrated. 

I then tried setting the axis to a potentiometer control running through a Leo Bodnar control board, but was presented with the same axes limits. I can adjust them by mouse hover/ scroll, but they decrement in blocks, and I cannot select 100 or -100

I'm hoping that this suggests something obvious to you...

28 minutes ago, BoneDaddy said:

I think I have followed everything to the letter except this - when I assign an axis - I am given values of -16838 to 16838.

I cannot type values into these fields, and I had assumed that these were the raw values of the (hall effect) sensors - or maybe what the firmware of the throttle (Virpil CM2) is reporting to windows after being calibrated. 

I then tried setting the axis to a potentiometer control running through a Leo Bodnar control board, but was presented with the same axes limits. I can adjust them by mouse hover/ scroll, but they decrement in blocks, and I cannot select 100 or -100

I'm hoping that this suggests something obvious to you...

Axis Min and Max define the value range of the axis that is sent to the sim. AAO is constantly mapping the raw value that is coming in over DirectX onto this range. That raw values themselves don't really matter here.

The fields can be altered either with the mouse wheel or by doubleclicking on them and then entering the number. (see AAO manual...)

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

57 minutes ago, Lorby_SI said:

Create two Axis assignments in AAO (to the same physical lever and the same LVar), one with Axis Min 0 to Axis Max 100 and another with Axis Min -100 to Axis Max 0, one of them "reversed" the other not.
Then you assign a Combo button to both, with one of them "suppressed" - "toggle" mode is probably best here.

Maybe play around a bit with the axis borders if you don't want full travel for the reverser)

This is getting better, currently throttle animation and bindings run Idle to Max Power   0% to 100% which is perfect. In order to enable reverse Button 23 gets toggled and this will set Beta to Reverse 0% to 25% which is also perfect. The only caveat is physically after reverse is toggled I must move the lever forward instead of back and to get back to forward throttle must toggle again. This is much improved, at least it is workable for now. I still may need to adjust limits and perhaps a small deadzone. I followed your directions to the tee so far, thank you!

1 minute ago, HardCat55 said:

This is getting better, currently throttle animation and bindings run Idle to Max Power   0% to 100% which is perfect. In order to enable reverse Button 23 gets toggled and this will set Beta to Reverse 0% to 25% which is also perfect. The only caveat is physically after reverse is toggled I must move the lever forward instead of back and to get back to forward throttle must toggle again. This is much improved, at least it is workable for now. I still may need to adjust limits and perhaps a small deadzone. I followed your directions to the tee so far, thank you!

Axis Min -100 to Axis Max 0 is Reverse
Axis Min 0 to Axis Max 100 is Throttle.

As mentioned above/on the previous page, you can create a second axis assignment for the same lever and use a Combo button to toggle between forward and reverse. Then you have full control over each of them separately.

LORBY-SI

Understood, this is what I have done. As I said above it's just the physical movement that is different but useable for now. Thank you...

27 minutes ago, HardCat55 said:

Understood, this is what I have done. As I said above it's just the physical movement that is different but useable for now. Thank you...

forward instead of back

You could pull the blue triangles into a position just so or use software detents, so that each assignment covers only a segment of the physical travel. Then the reverse action would be backwards too - ?

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI

1 hour ago, Lorby_SI said:

The fields can be altered either with the mouse wheel or by doubleclicking on them

Many thanks - 

So - I have done that, and using the 'observe variables in sim' function, I can confirm that the KodiakThrottle variable is successfully changing from -100 to 100 as I move my throttle lever. I have confirmed that the hooks are in place in my community folder, and that this entry is the only one in the xml file.

I apologise in advance if I am still doing something dumb, but the throttle is still not moving in sim. I fired up the engine just to make sure that it wasn't just that the lever wasn't being animated, but no. 

I will go through your manual again - clearly this is the first time I have gone into this depth, and I'm still hoping for a Eureka moment...

OK - so this is physically painful, it's so embarrassing... I went back through the manual, and it was pretty obvious - I was so concerned to copy everything to the letter, I had copied the titles of the get and set lines... so once I removed them, the throttle is moving as it should. 

Ie, I had copied and pasted all of "BVar get: (B:SWS_ENGINE_Lever_Power_1)" instead of "(B:SWS_ENGINE_Lever_Power_1)" to add to the BVar get: line..

Baby steps, but it's all learning....

Thanks for your patience, and now to split the axis as HardCat55 is doing...

5 hours ago, Lorby_SI said:

How to implement this:

Most excellent. Works perfectly and allows me to actually fly the Kodiak update. Thank you!

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

Made huge progress with A&O - but still somewhat stuck with the Kodiak.

I now cannot move the trim wheel with the K:Elev_Trim_DN or up action - I've tried to use the 'Key_Elev_Trim' but either I'm not doing that correctly or don't understand what 'key' means.. or looking in the flight behaviour xml there seems to be an autotrim function that may be engaged by default...

Any thoughts?

OK - so that's a total red herring - the trim wheel moves fine in the air, as long as the autopilot is not engaged, I think it *should* be movable on the ground, but that doesn't cause any issue flying the Kodiak at all...

18 minutes ago, BoneDaddy said:

I now cannot move the trim wheel with the K:Elev_Trim_DN or up action - I've tried to use the 'Key_Elev_Trim' but either I'm not doing that correctly or don't understand what 'key' means.. or looking in the flight behaviour xml there seems to be an autotrim function that may be engaged by default...

Any thoughts?

If it's any help I have Select Axis: Elevator Trim with -16383 axis min and 16383 axis max. And it works on ground as well as in air. Never needed a script for this.

-J

13700KF | RTX 4090 @ 4K | 32GB DDR5 | 2 x 1TB SSDs | 1TB M.2 NVMe

39 minutes ago, BoneDaddy said:

Any thoughts?

What are you trying to move it with? Lever/axis or buttons?

I just set it up with the trim buttons on my yoke, and the default events ELEV_TRIM_DN and ELEV_TRIM_UP are working just fine (simply selected from the treelist for the Down Event on the "Add Button" dialog, no scripting involved)

I have "repeat - fast - adaptive" activated for both.

Edited by Lorby_SI

LORBY-SI