Sign in to follow this  
Guest Douglas K

Cessna 172 Altitude Perforamce

Guest Hippaforalkus

I am having some trouble with my Cessna 172's performance when it comes to flying at an altitude above 5,000 feet. I have had trouble with other aircraft like the Beech Baron 58. With that aircraft I tweaked the cfg. file. I changed it to supercharged engines, set the max manifold pressure, and critical altitude. As a result I get better performance at high altitude. I can't do this with the Cessna 172 because its engine settings are in RPM not Manifold Pressure. Does anyone know how to get higher performance out of the C172? Thanks to whomever helps.

Guest Vilk

not sure what you expect... not exactly a thoroughbred that kite... usually i'm crossing lake simcoe when i finally get to five thousand:-)

Are you talking better performance or realistic performance?I had to fly my Baron at 10-11000 ft. today for tstorms avoidance-I assure you the performance was not that good compared to 5-6k....http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N7345R

Guest RonB49

Are you adjusting the mixture as you climb? Pull the mixture knob outward as you climb into thinner air to create a leaner (less fuel) fuel - air mixture. Watch the tachometer as you pull the knob outward and adjust for maximum RPM. If the RPM drops rapidly, you've gone too far. R-

Use the leaning procedure as described. It's really noticeable when above 6000' in MSFS. The power output is close to "dead on", so don't be adjusting any files. I always start at 4600' msl to start with, and have no problems. I also lean before takeoff, just like the real planes around here (at 4600').L.Adamsonedit: note--- with planes such as the Cessna 172, I just lean by sound as I climb. There is also the tach, using EGT and so on. Leaning rich of peak & lean of peak, are also discussions that can get complicated.

Guest Douglas K

>>>>I can't do this with the Cessna 172 because its engine settings are in RPM not Manifold Pressure.<<<

Guest SSmokin

>>>>>I can't do this with the Cessna 172 because its engine>settings are in RPM not Manifold Pressure.<<<<>>Sure you can

Guest Douglas K

>>>>Changing the code seems a bit extreme, unless you just don't want "realism". Even when I fly my real 172, I have to adjust my fuel to a "leaner" position to gain the performance of the engine above 5,000' MSL. If you don't like adjusting your mixture, just turn your "realism" options down on the aircraft. This isn't a flaw, it's just how you fly, even in turbocharged aircraft.:)Everyone else seemed concerned with lecturing him about how to use the red knob, along with assurances that Microsoft did a great job on the FSX 172