Sign in to follow this  
TravelRunner404

Oh man, DLSS 3.0 frame gen Isn’t going to be liked..

I don’t think simmers are going to be happy. If you were looking forward to this in 2D it’s not good.

Yes, I got 179.2 FPS Ultra 200/200 over a big photogrammetry city. Which really felt no different than 45-60 FPS but yeah panning around creates a hot mess. See video and photo.

https://ibb.co/ws54Vg5

You will notice every flicker and distortion of this photo  

https://www.veed.io/view/cc609805-66af-4990-bbf0-d0b97436a511/showcase?sharingWidget=true

If you only look straight ahead you won’t notice much but if you only look straight ahead you don’t really notice 20 FPS either.

Just a heads up for anyone thinking the 4090 and this frame generation were going to be next level. It’s way more noticeable than any micro stutter. On another note for higher resolution VR the 4090 delivers quite well.   

Per request: 5800x3D, 4090, 32GB RAM, 55” OLED

Edited by TravelRunner404
System specs added
  • Like 7

No system specs?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Can u name your oled model?  55 oled is pretty vague. 

Edited by Gelrd

1 hour ago, TravelRunner404 said:

I don’t think simmers are going to be happy. If you were looking forward to this in 2D it’s not good.

Yes, I got 179.2 FPS Ultra 200/200 over a big photogrammetry city. Which really felt no different than 45-60 FPS but yeah panning around creates a hot mess. See video and photo.

https://ibb.co/ws54Vg5

https://www.veed.io/view/cc609805-66af-4990-bbf0-d0b97436a511/showcase?sharingWidget=true

If you only look straight ahead you won’t notice much but if you only look straight ahead you don’t really notice 20 FPS either.

Just a heads up for anyone thinking the 4090 and this frame generation were going to be next level. It’s way more noticeable than any micro stutter. On another note for higher resolution VR the 4090 delivers quite well.   

Did you try Fast Sync? It may fix the tearing, since you have more FPS than your screen's refresh rate.

• Like 4

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

It’s not a Vsync tear if that’s what you are getting at. It doesn’t do it across the screen. It’s a weird scramble of certain objects. I tried it on my work monitor. It’s an ultra wide 144hz LG 3840x1600. Same scramble but on the smaller screen it was a little less noticeable. I capped at 60 FPS externally and that made no difference. 

• Like 1

Thanks.  It may get better as the tech matures, but this shouldn't surprise anyone. DLSS, whether it's v2 upscaling or v3 frame prediction, it's all about creating something from nothing... and it's unlikely to be as good as the full something.

Did you upgrade from a 3080? If so, what's the FPS improvement with TAA with the 4090?

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, TravelRunner404 said:

It’s not a Vsync tear if that’s what you are getting at. It doesn’t do it across the screen. It’s a weird scramble of certain objects. I tried it on my work monitor. It’s an ultra wide 144hz LG 3840x1600. Same scramble but on the smaller screen it was a little less noticeable. I capped at 60 FPS externally and that made no difference. 

Yes, that's what it looks like by looking at the photo and video.

• Like 1

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I know what you mean but it’s definitely different. It’s hard to explain. But that’s a good analogy. It’s like one object (the frame in this instance) goes Vsync crazy as you move across it.  I think digital foundry did a good video and showed it happening with the vertical stabilizer in external view. It’s certainly very pronounced with the c172 frame. I didn’t try other aircraft though. 

Learning that you never get FPS "for free" the hard way? Not even a little bit surprised. The only relevant thing of the 4090 is the huge raw performance without DLSS 3.0, which will be sufficient in most cases anyway...

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

I don't know. The Digital Foundry video also showed that Spiderman game using DLSS 3.0 and he was swinging all over the place with the camera moving super fast (much faster than panning the camera in the above video), and I didn't notice any weird artifacts or flickering. Could it be something else at play causing these issues?

4 hours ago, TravelRunner404 said:

Thanks for making the video. To be honest, when I watched your video, the distortion of the white plastic/metal cockpit bar (whatever that white bar that separates the windows is called) doesn't seem so bad.  It seems bad in your photo, but for me, it doesn't look so bad or distracting in the video at all.

That's for my own tastes though. If what I see in the video is how it works, I can definitely tolerate that as I didn't really notice the distortion in the video, I had to look very carefully at the video to even notice it (and I only knew what to look for after I saw your photo - I saw your video first, and your photo second).  I know other people may mind it, but from what I saw in the video, I don't really mind it at all.

Edited by abrams_tank
  • Like 5

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

1 minute ago, abrams_tank said:

It seems bad in your photo, but for me, it doesn't look so bad or distracting in the video at all.

I agree, but think about what is behind this: he gets 179 (!!!) FPS using DLSS 3.0, yet he has such artefacts. Even if small, it is totally ridiculous that you have to get along something like this, especially because of the fact that if you turn DLSS 3.0 just off, the remaining 90 (!!!) FPS will still be waaaay sufficient. In contrast, when FPS go down below 30 or even lower, I guess the artefacts will be so prominent and visible that they are almost unbearable. And exactly those scenarios would be the reason why you would use DLSS 3.0, no? 

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

3 hours ago, TravelRunner404 said:

To rule it out try it with v-sync on or your fps capped.

• Like 2

P3Dv4 + XP11

MFS

5 hours ago, TravelRunner404 said:

On another note for higher resolution VR the 4090 delivers quite well.   

What VR headset you have? What was you previus GPU? I have same CPU and Reveerb G2 headset, so i am intressed to hear prosentual increase of performance with upgrading to 4090 with 5800x3d.

This one doesn't look too bad:

• Like 7

Cheers, Søren Dissing

CPU: Intel i9-13900K @5.6-5.8 Ghz | Cooler: ASUS ROG RYUJIN III | GPU: ASUS Strix RTX4090 OC | MoBo: ASUS ROG Maximus Z790 Hero | RAM: 64Gb DDR5 @5600 | SSDs: 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (Win11), 1Tb Samsung M.2 980 PRO (MSFS), | Case: ASUS ROG Helios 601 | Monitors: HP Reverb G2, 28" ASUS PB287Q 4K | Additional Hardware: TM TCA Captain's Edition, Tobii 5 | OS: Win 11 Pro 64 | Sim: MSFS | BA Virtual | PSXT, RealTraffic w/ AIG models