Sign in to follow this  
vcaptmattsmith

FSX and Vista question?

Guest Mark L.

Given a set up (CPU) thats able to run Vista would the same system with Vista added run FSX any better than with XP Pro as the OS.Thanks.Mark.

No, due to the amount of overhead in Vista versus Windows XP.Regards,Jim Karn

Guest roddymod

Not true. This is a myth mainly put about by people that don't use Vista.Rod.

Guest apollothethird

Vista is slower than FSX in many critical ways, such as copying, moving and deleting files. But for the two favorite programs on my computer, FSX and Premiere Pro, they run noticeable faster.-- L. James--L. D. Jamesljames@apollo3.comwww.apollo3.com/~ljames

Sorry but this is neither untrue nor a myth. Every hardware site that has tested Vista gaming performance has found that the current driver situation in both AMD/ATI and nVidia camps causes slowdowns in Vista compared to similar hardware running under Windows XP. That coupled with the added overhead inherent in Vista will not allow gaming performance in Vista to exceed or even equal the performance attained in Windows XP.The plain, simple truth. And I've used 2 betas of Vista and currently run Vista Ultimate x32. Regards,Jim Karn

Guest apollothethird

I don't know about other games as far as how they perform on XP or Vista. But I noticed a significant difference in the performance of the two programs I use most, five times. The first was when I changed from a GeForce 7300 GS to a GeForce 7600 GT. The second time was when I went from 1 Gig to 2 Gigs of Ram. The third time was when I went from Windows XP to Windows Vista, and the last time was when I did a clean uninstall of FSX and reinstalled FSX/SP1.I retained a dual boot system for a while, but I eventually removed the XP boot partition because of the improvement.I didn't keep a scientific log, but might create a dual boot sometime in the future to test the same hardware and document the difference.I asked a few people on two other forums did they notice a difference, and so far they all had experienced the same.My observance for everything else is that it's slower. Maybe if I had the games the other people were testing, I'd see them as slower also.I will mention also, that the Premier Pro that I use is an update. I never ran the same version on Windows XP, so that might be a case of a better design in the program. I thought it was because it was designed for Vista. I do know Adobe was hard at work for Vista support in their editor.-- L. James--L. D. Jamesljames@apollo3.comwww.apollo3.com/~ljames

My experience was that FSX performance is slightly better on XP than on Vista. This is due partially, I think, to the lower OS overhead in XP, but also partially to the fact that I'm able to turn off VSync in XP but am unable to do so in Vista, due to a quirk of the nVidia drivers. Turning off VSync seems to net me much smoother performance in return for some image tearing.Best Regards,Matt SmithPentium D 930 3.2 GhznVidia GeForce 8800GTS 320MB2GB RAM

Matthew Smith | Priority Left Consulting
www.priorityleft.com