Sign in to follow this  
solito

Removing offline mesh files

At performance boost tricks I read you can save almost 60Gbs deleting the offline mesh files at the ....CGL folder.- Is that true ? No bad consequences doing that ? So why does that files exist ?

Thanks 

• Like 1

I also read that thread and followed the advice. Removed. Nothing wrong was noticed.

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900K, GIGABYTE GAMING Z790, GeForce RTX4080, 32GB

I dit not notice any improvement once it was removed.

\Robert Hamlich/

Saving 60 Gb space is good enough for me even if it doesn't give a performance improvement.

• Like 1

System: I ASRock X670E | AMD 7800X3D | 32Gb DDR5 6000 | RTX 4090 | 2TB NVMe | LG Ultra Gear 34* UW |

How do you do this with steam?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Not come across that one before.  I would like to hear a little more about the rationale for this, where the mesh folders reside and what any disadvantages and consequences might be.  I could certainly make use of an extra 60 GB of space on my m2 drive.  

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

On 10/17/2022 at 5:49 AM, zorro747 said:

I also read that thread and followed the advice. Removed. Nothing wrong was noticed.

Does your world still look the same? 😉

Bert

30 minutes ago, RobJC said:

How do you do this with steam?

Go to your 'Official' folder location and find the CGL folder.
Mine is located at: Z:\AppData\Roaming\MSFS\Packages\Official\Steam\fs-base-cgl\CGL

Select all files EXCEPT the file called DB_Notices.txt, then delete / copy them to another location.

As a 'belt-and-braces' approach, I would not permanently delete these files from your recycle bin / elsewhere until you have tested various regions of the sim world. I have not noticed any problems from taking this delete action.

No performance improvements or losses, yet the extra 60 GB of drive space is useful.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

Those mesh files are there for a reason. Presumably they are there for when you are flying offline.  But if you could delete them, why did MS not say that we could delete them and does deleting them cause any slowdown in loading?  I still would like a bit more rationale, but may follow your advice to simply move the files to another location until I am satisfied that nothing adverse happens.

I wonder whether the next sim update is going to simply recreate them though.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

2 hours ago, cianpars said:

Those mesh files are there for a reason.

I would tend to agree... just leave them alone. 😉

• Like 1

Bert

13 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

Does your world still look the same? 😉

I did not notice anything wrong. The advantage for me was just to free up my hard dics space. The sim loading time did not change.

If you have any doubts, just make files backup  and remove them from the sim folder and test it. 

• Like 1

Intel i9-13900K, GIGABYTE GAMING Z790, GeForce RTX4080, 32GB

If you have the Xbox version, MSFS installation onto the console allows option to not DL the mesh files (saves tens of Gigabytes). 

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

Well, if 60GB hard disk space is relevant for you, I suggest considering getting a bigger drive. SSD storage was never cheaper, so I really wonder how 60GB can be an issue anyway nowadays...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS