Sign in to follow this  
Pod562

SQL Server 2014 and Windows 11

Hi,

Download the 10 day trial to see how Pilot2ATC would work on my Win 11 computer and I am having problems with SQL Server error messages and flashing black screens. I have tried to uninstall and reinstall both pilot2atc and SQL Server 2014 and tried stopping and starting SQL Server using the command prompt but to no avail. I should be grateful for any advice as to whether this is a comptability problem with Win 11. For the record, I bought a Win 11 computer, I didn't upgrade from Win10.

Thanks

Renzo

Bill Miller

Usually it's the update from Win10 to Win11 that causes the problem with SQLLocalDB.  The issue is related to hardware security support or disk management.  

There is a version of Windows 11 I have seen on laptops using the Snapdragon or other non-standard chipsets that cannot run Microsoft SQLLocalDB.  I have a Samsung Galaxy Book Go with this issue.

Otherwise, Windows 11 may be managing the disk differently.  Here's a Microsoft document discussing this issue and possible fixes:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/sql/admin/troubleshoot-os-4kb-disk-sector-size

A user in Germany fixed this issue by "cleaning his registry" using CCleaner.  Here's a link:
https://www.ccleaner.com/ccleaner

Windows 11 may require a higher level of SQLServer.
You can try downloading the most current version of SQL Server Express from Microsoft.  It’s free.
Download Microsoft® SQL Server® 2019 Express from Official Microsoft Download Center

Then start the installer and on the first or second screen, there is an option to install SQLLocalDB.
Select that option and it should install the latest version of SQLLocalDB.

Dave

Thanks for taking the time to reply comprehensively to my problem. I tried each of the solutions but none of them worked. I guess I'll have to choose a different ATC program for MFS 2020.

Regards

Renzo

Bill Miller

Check back.  I'm working on converting to SQLite which should eliminate the problem of Microsoft's OS not being able to run Microsoft's Database.

Dave

• Like 2

just out of curiosity did you install the beta only 

dave may correct me on this but i believe you need the main program for it to install the sql the beta only updates it

only reason i ask is i have done a clean install of windows 11 today and p2a is working fine 

I installed the full version. I guess I could try updating it to the beta version to see if that changes anything but I doubt it.

Renzo 

Bill Miller

I was able to resolve this with one if not all of the following:

1. Download SQL Express 2019, choose 3rd option to extract LocalDB. 

2. Run installer to install localDB 2019

3. Add the following registry key using Powershell

New-Item -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15E.LOCALDB\MSSQLServer\Parameters' -Force
New-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15E.LOCALDB\MSSQLServer\Parameters' -Name 'SQLArg0' -Value "-T1800" -PropertyType String -Force

You'll need to restart localDb afterwards:

sqllocaldb stop MSSQLLocalDB
sqllocaldb start MSSQLLocalDB

3. Download Full non beta of Pilot2atc and install. Cancel install of LocalDB 2014 and continue

Let me know if this doesn't work as there was one other step but i don't think it's needed. 

• Like 1

On 10/30/2022 at 10:50 PM, tylenolwithwings said:

I was able to resolve this with one if not all of the following:

1. Download SQL Express 2019, choose 3rd option to extract LocalDB. 

2. Run installer to install localDB 2019

3. Add the following registry key using Powershell

New-Item -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15E.LOCALDB\MSSQLServer\Parameters' -Force
New-ItemProperty -Path 'HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL15E.LOCALDB\MSSQLServer\Parameters' -Name 'SQLArg0' -Value "-T1800" -PropertyType String -Force

You'll need to restart localDb afterwards:

3. Download Full non beta of Pilot2atc and install. Cancel install of LocalDB 2014 and continue

Let me know if this doesn't work as there was one other step but i don't think it's needed. 

Thank you for your efforts.

I was able to follow your procedure till 'sqllocaldb stop MSSQLLocalDB', but failed in restarting it. Failure message: "sqllocaldb start MSSQLLocalDB
Start of LocalDB instance "MSSQLLocalDB" failed because of the following error:
Cannot create an automatic instance. See the Windows Application event log for error details"

Did I miss something?

Werner

2 hours ago, wergla said:

Thank you for your efforts.

I was able to follow your procedure till 'sqllocaldb stop MSSQLLocalDB', but failed in restarting it. Failure message: "sqllocaldb start MSSQLLocalDB
Start of LocalDB instance "MSSQLLocalDB" failed because of the following error:
Cannot create an automatic instance. See the Windows Application event log for error details"

Did I miss something?

Werner

I have the same failure message with this procedure.

OK, I have found a way for this to work.

Before starting mssqllocaldb, i've entered "sqllocaldb delete mssqllocaldb" and then start. So the correct stop start should be:

sqllocaldb delete MSSQLLocalDB

P2ATC works now without sql error.

Edited by SkylaneT

23 hours ago, SkylaneT said:

OK, I have found a way for this to work.

Before starting mssqllocaldb, i've entered "sqllocaldb delete mssqllocaldb" and then start. So the correct stop start should be:

sqllocaldb delete MSSQLLocalDB

P2ATC works now without sql error.

Great! Thanks! Works without errors again 👏

Werner

Dave,

Are your planned changes to the SQL programming going to be released any time soon? I would wait if it is pretty soon. Otherwise, I'll have to play around with the above fix....

On 11/20/2022 at 10:58 PM, Quijote said:

Dave,

Are your planned changes to the SQL programming going to be released any time soon? I would wait if it is pretty soon. Otherwise, I'll have to play around with the above fix....

FIXED! I did the above and it now works....

Just make sure that when you are updating P2ATC public beta versions, that you dont install Microsoft SQL Server 2014 Express LocalDB, when it asks. I just cancel it every time.