Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

FSX Flight Planner - why it frustrates me!

Ray,On most issues, ACES==PTaylor. Everyone seems to think there is a huge team of people who do nothing but read the forums. That just isnt true. I just dont have time to cover each and every issue, I typically spend time on crashes or visual deficiencies; which is why this issue and the "saving undocked window state" one just havent gotten time from me. Sorry to disappoint you, but I have little to add here. I will certainly throw it into the hopper for FS11 discussions, but thats not a promise. I see 3 things to consider adding:1)SIDS2)STARS3)more screen real-estatedid I miss any important details?Phil

Guest SimDog

How about adding "more screen real-estate" to the DX10 SP2 update. How much trouble can it be to change the screen from fixed to scalable? SD

Phil #1 should be:1) NAT tracksThe most glaring issue with the Flight Planner is the inability to plan any flight across the North Atlantic except "Direct GPS".That is acceptable for the actual ocean crossing - but the lead to the departure and the route after the crossing are so far from reality as to be a planning nightmare.The issue appears to be that there are no airways across the North Atlantic. Which is true because they move daily based on weather.However, I'm sure the entire FS community would appreciate the effort if one day's NAT tracks were added, and a few other key routes as Airways.That would allow the flight planner to send me from Dallas to Paris (France not Texas) without going over Alaska.

HUGE - we're facing similar issues with POS systems at the company where I work and it's a really, really big deal to change.

Sure I can add that as 4th feature to the "future consideration for Flight Planner updates" list.

Here Dave,"Ray,On most issues, ACES==PTaylor. Everyone seems to think there is a huge team of people who do nothing but read the forums. That just isnt true. I just dont have time to cover each and every issue, I typically spend time on crashes or visual deficiencies; which is why this issue and the "saving undocked window state" one just havent gotten time from me."Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Hello Phil,Thanks for popping in when you're so busy. To have caught the ear and eye of one of the team is a first for me so I appreciate you making the effort.I know ACES is not a big team but I know you watch thse pages because we're the people who really care about FS. Not forgetting yourselves of course ;-)Did you miss anything? Well SIDs and STARs would be great but as a starter how about a search box so we can find and easily add additional waypoints to a plan? A SID/STAR database would be even better.And a larger screen would help enormously in helping me find those pesky intersections a lot easier. If that is doable for any upcoming service pack for DX10 that would be great.If not then, then hopefully it can be achieved for FS11.Cheers,

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

The only new feature in the DX10 patch is DX10. So a redesign of the Flight Planner by definition falls to FS11.I just dont have resources to marshal to look at this in the DX10 patch, much less to test it. And thats before trying to convince people that redesigning a feature on the fly is the right thing to do with those resources. Which is an argument I would not win. That is the reality of release planning.So a search box is number 5 and the SID/STAR feature needs a db. I'll write this down and send it to the designers.

They do say that if you don't ask you don't get ;-) It was worth a shot ;-)As a programmer myself I understand where you're coming from. Hastily written code when under pressure often leads to tears.I'll bide my time with FSX (not forgetting FS9) and look forward to the new super flight planner in FS11. :-hahThanks a lot Phil! :-wave

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

An option would be not to release an enhanced flight planner as part of a service pack, but as part of an enhancement package. This package could be marketted for the more serious users. In fact, it could be part of an "Ultimate" version for FSX. Dave Vega

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

>I will certainly throw it into the hopper for FS11>discussions>So a redesign of the Flight Planner by definition falls to>FS11.Aha! Great news! So FS11 is coming! Any info on the release date?JUST KIDDING!!! :( :( :( B) B)

Hi Ray,The really biggy for me would to be able to look at themap "on the fly". At the moment its like switching the sim off - observing where you are/finding out what frequenciesare required - then switching the sim on again !!!!!Thats why we are waiting for FSnavigator isn't it????H.A.N.D.

Just to add my 2c, one really simple thing that would make both the flight planner map and the regular map more usable would be to allow dragging of the map around the viewable area like you can in most online map services, including MS Live. Zooming in and out with the mouse wheel would be a nice bonus too.The increments for both scroll and zoom in the present map are kind of large, it makes it quite easy to lose your place when panning around it.

Here Jim,Is Aces a 'one man band' then?

Dave Taylor gb.png