Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

FSX Flight Planner - why it frustrates me!

No - but 25 different people have posted on this thread - and I would be very surprised if the full-time FS team was that large.

Er, yes it has. Did you miss my first point about searching for a waypoint?:-rollAnd others have requested a SID/STAR database which Phil has kindly put on the list.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

With the ability to enter SIDS and STARS, it's not so much the realism as it is just the safety of flying the published IFR procedures in areas where there is dangerous rising terrain, during poor visibilty in IMC, and at night. Anyone who uses FlightSimulator to fly IFR could use that feature.http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Hi Mick,Well that's a completely diferent animal ;-) I didn't even suggest that because my problems lie with planning, not seeing where I am.If you have a second PC I can recommend FSEarth. It uses the free satellite images of Google Earth together with a program written by Luciano Neopolitano to show the position of your aircraft overlaid on Google Earth.I'm looking forward to FSNav but purely for planning purposes.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Adding way point by name would be nice. A zoom / pan by mouse also, esp since you have to have a certain zoom level to get labels. Also use the 500 GPS to build a flight plan.scott s..

In the UK SIDs are also noise preferential routes and ATC won't accept a flight plan that doesn't use a published SID. They terminate at waypoints on airways so it's the initial airway leg that determines the filed SID.The initial waypoints of STARs are associated with a number of airways. This means that the filed STAR is determined by the last airway leg. UK STARS terminate in a holding pattern from which any runway can be accessed. The runway in use doesn't affect the choice of the STAR.I belive that this is a common practice in many countries.

Realizing it's not realistic, given that this is a flight simulator, there are times I'd like to call out the departure runway and destination runway, and have ATC honor those requests. Though, really, even if ATC didn't honor the request, the ability to choose runways for VFR flight plans would be great. That way, I'd be able to practice particular approaches and be able to get information from FS based on the flight plan for programming needs.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Guest tmilton

>3)more screen real-estate>>did I miss any important details?>>PhilI'm glad that enlarging the map window is being considered for FS11. It's something I've wished for a long time; since FS9 in fact.We saw a lot of great improvements in FSX over FS9, but unfortunately, the map wasn't one of them and remained essentially unchanged from FS9 - a small restrictive window and an awkward system of moving the map around. In FSX, the map window is way too small, and it's use is cumbersome, having to constantly click the arrows on the edges of the window to move around one click at a time, and clicking icons to zoom in and out.Making the map larger (hint: MUCH, MUCH larger ;) ), and replacing the "click arrow and move one bit at a time" with a map that we could move by dragging with the mouse, and zooming with the mouse scroll button will make it much more efficient and easier to use. For example, Google Maps has this system, and it's always a breeze and a pleasure to use.It would be fantastic if this type of system could be incorporated into FS11. :)

>Aha! Great news! So FS11 is coming! Any info on the release>date?Don't bother! It's only an eye-candy upgrade, and will kill your frame rates. :-lol

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

Guest danny68

I agree with what Michael J wrote...It's just not reasonable to expect a good flight planner for a package for only $70.I may have missed something but I think aerosoft have recently announced some kind of planning package for FSX. It's around $70 on it's own.Dan