Sign in to follow this  
Mace

Landing the King Air: Take 23

Do I win the prize for "closest to the water without actually falling in"? After floating a couple of feet above the ground for most of the length of the runway it took full brakes and reverse thrusters to get me stopped at the point shown here.Seriously though, is it just me or is the default King Air a complete b*tch to fly? I find it harder than any of the other default planes to maintain altitude/vertical speed, and I've never managed to execute a satisfactory landing in it. Any tips would be much appreciated. The attempt before this one I think I was coming in way too slow because I couldn't see the runway at all over the nose and when I stood up in my seat from time to time to check progress (thank you TrackIR!) I still kept finding that I was too low. The landing depicted here I tried to follow the instructions in the online help; approached at 140kts with approach flaps, then reduced power to idle and applied full flaps shortly before the runway threshold. Didn't do me much good as you can see... :(http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/175126.jpgBTW, thanks to John (flyingAtoB) for putting me onto the Wick to Sumburgh flight, I can definitely recommend it. The scenery is gorgeous, when you can actually see it.

I've never had a problem landing it, in fact I land it at meigs all the time, which is a fairly short runway. Then again I can land an empty 747 at meigs and come to a stop only half way down the runway. lol Try landing from an external view.

(CUT)That's an interesting aircraft reflection in the water! :)Marco

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is hard to verify their authenticity." [Abraham Lincoln]

Guest fsxmissionguy

Not sure what the book says ... but you can definitely reduce your approach speed.Try full flaps and about 120. Feather on rollout and you should be able to roll out to your taxiway with no brakes.

Guest Redvan

You using both power and pitch controls to maintain altitude?

What's your approach speed?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Guest Shalomar

To reduce your landing roll, after applying full reverse retract flaps and apply full up elevator on rollout. Works for me!!!Best Regards, Donald T.:-waveFLYing? It's cool. Trillions of birds and insects can't be wrong.

Guest n99wb

"BTW, thanks to John (flyingAtoB) for putting me onto the Wick to Sumburgh flight, I can definitely recommend it. The scenery is gorgeous, when you can actually see it."You have the ICAO designations? I'd like to give it a try.

Wick: EGPC, Sumburgh: EGPB.Once you've done that, try going on to EKVG (Vagar, on the Faroe islands), preferably in the evening as the sun is getting low on the horizon (about 10pm at this time of year). Really stunning, and an interesting approach from either direction.Thanks for the landing tips everyone, I'll try them this evening. Although I was hoping you'd all say "yeah it's really hard to fly, don't worry it's not just you"... :(

>Although I was hoping you'd all say "yeah it's really>hard to fly, don't worry it's not just you"... :(>It really isn't just you, powerful twin turboprops are challenging to say the least, but they can be mastered with knowledge and practice. My experience with THE Kingair (Aeroworx B200) has taught me that :) It may be of benefit prowling their forum. If MS has done any kind of decent job with reproducing the 350, I'm sure some principles are transferable.regards,Markhttp://www.dreamfleet2000.com/a320/custbanner2.jpgPC Power Silencer 470/3.2HT/2048mb/ATI X1950pro/SB Audigy

Regards,

Mark

The book may say approach at 140 kts but I do not approach that fast in the King Air unless I'm really loaded down. Well, I might approach that fast, but once over the thresh I will not be doing anywhere near 140.I have touched down at 100 kts or slightly less at a small field if memory serves...Full reverse and flaps up, too.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB