Sign in to follow this  
Guest SuperFortress

MSVCR80.DLL and constant CTD

Yes, it is possible.Remember that ATI Catalyst AI had an issue with SP1 that cleared up by disabling it. From reports more recent versions of Catalyst have fixed this.So this isnt unprecedented.

Guest SuperFortress

>Yes, it is possible.>>Remember that ATI Catalyst AI had an issue with SP1 that>cleared up by disabling it. From reports more recent versions>of Catalyst have fixed this.>>So this isnt unprecedented.>>I wish there was a simple workaround like that for Nvidia users as well.The only question now is whether or not Nvidia is aware of this issue and whether or not it is being worked on. Thank you very much Phil for your personal attention to this problem.

In this context does 'Beta' mean that the drivers are still in the Beta testing stage and have not been finally released?

Guest Seadog

Hi - I'm so far from being an expert on this it hurts, but I just checked the nVidia drivers, and looked at what cards they support, and I don't believe the 100 + series of drivers supports your card. I believe the highest released version for your card under Win XP is 94.24, so you might want to give that a shot. The 100 + series of drivers is almost exclusively for the 8000 series of cards, according to what I read. The driver selection page ishttp://www.nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.aspHTH, Seadog

The 162.18 version drivers for XP2 32bit claim to be for all Geforce chips, 7800GS and GTX included.Vox

Guest SuperFortress

>In this context does 'Beta' mean that the drivers are still>in the Beta testing stage and have not been finally released?I would have to say yes to your question but you can judge for yourself by going to the following link for the 162.18 drivers:http://www.nzone.com/object/nzone_download...betadriver.html

Guest Seadog

Thanks. You're absolutely right. Hence my admission of lack of expertise. I just never look at Beta stuff as a matter of habit. In this case, I should have looked further before speaking, but my recommendation would have been the same, regardless, to stick with a final release version rather than this 6 day old experimental version. -Seadog

Guest SuperFortress

Ok I'm not entirely sure if this really works but so far IT'S WORKING! Phil actually made me think about something when he mentioned the problem with ATI's CCC. So I thought to myself perhaps Nvidia's Control Panel is causing problems as well. I went ahead and disabled the Nvidia Control Panel tray icon. Then I went into my registry and deleted a program called NWIZ which can be found in the following key:HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionRunI then used Nhancer to set my AA and AF settings. I ran FSX and so far I've been testing with various aircraft (default and add-ons) with absolutely no more of those horrible CTD's. I could be wrong and maybe the CTD will return but so far it's working like a charm. Perhaps someone else with this problem can try this out and let me know if it works for you. Once again thank you very much Phil.

Well I've tried what you've suggested and there's no change for me. I've disabled all of the nVidia CPL tasks using MSConfig and still getting CTD's. But if it's worked for you, that's great news. Hope it stays stable! :)Edit: If anyone is potentially looking into this problem at MS or nVidia, after some more exhaustive testing, I believe here's the skinny on my particular problem with 'msvcr80.dll':With AA turned on in either nHancer/nVidia control panel OR just in FSX itself, if I load any aircraft that is an FS9 aircraft that has been made to be 'FSX-compatible' just after the flight loads I CTD. However, default aircraft and any add-on aircraft built from the ground up for FSX (e.g. RealAir's aircraft) don't seem to cause a CTD.Conclusion: - With AA on, FSX 'compatible' aircraft CTD. - Switching off AA solves the issue across all aircraft. - VS 2005 SP1 Distributable IS installed. - Problem never occured before FSX SP1 was installed. - Issue remains using a wide variety of nVidia drivers.Others may have similar or different issues to the above.Vox

Guest SuperFortress

>Well I've tried what you've suggested and there's no change>for me. I've disabled all of the nVidia CPL tasks using>MSConfig and still getting CTD's. But if it's worked for you,>that's great news. Hope it stays stable! :)>>Vox

Yep, I'm running those drivers already and I disabled just NWIZ first of all. When that didn't work, I then disabled the other nVidia control panel stuff - no go. Using pure FSX-only aircraft is the only way I can fly with AA on (that's asn long as I don't task switch).Vox

Guest SuperFortress

>Yep, I'm running those drivers already and I disabled just>NWIZ first of all. When that didn't work, I then disabled the>other nVidia control panel stuff - no go. Using pure FSX-only>aircraft is the only way I can fly with AA on (that's asn long>as I don't task switch).>>Vox