Sign in to follow this  
lwt1971

New Asobo Feature Discovery Series episode: Gliders

1 minute ago, tweekz said:

V1 (real world Airbus captain and streamer) just recently spoke highly of MSFS in regards to handling in gusty conditions being "just as he experiences it in real life".

I always liked MSFS CFD approach. It feels totally alive - sometimes a bit too much. 😄 In the beginning it was plagued by default aircraft configs and some model-shortcomings. Fortunately ASOBO never stopped improving and we are now in a spot, where it really pays off. The interaction with moving air masses feels more alive than in other sim IMO.

With the new 20 KM CFD surrounding the plane in SU 11, the MSFS flight model is breaking new ground that has not been done by a home market flight simulator before.

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM

9 minutes ago, tweekz said:

V1 (real world Airbus captain and streamer) just recently spoke highly of MSFS in regards to handling in gusty conditions being "just as he experiences it in real life".

I always liked MSFS CFD approach. It feels totally alive - sometimes a bit too much. 😄 In the beginning it was plagued by default aircraft configs and some model-shortcomings. Fortunately ASOBO never stopped improving and we are now in a spot, where it really pays off. The interaction with moving air masses feels more alive than in other sim IMO.

Yes, lately it feels like flying a real aircraft. 

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

7 hours ago, Murmur said:

Visibility can't be set.

I understand why so many X-Plane users are now thrilled about their sim's ability to limit visibility of the default scenery.

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Hmmmmmm.... I've said this before, but...

In regards to our strong tendency to nit-pick, I think that even the kindest, most intelligent and most beautiful (not to mention the healthiest) woman in the world would inevitably reveal some less savory, and maybe even repulsive aspects if you grab a high power microscope and get down to the level of face-mites and bacteria.....

Tangentially, some of us will probably never be happy with any sim, simply because upon looking closely enough, one will always find that (at our current tech-level) a desktop replica of reality can never fully match the actual thing.

At least not until humanity starts creating Jupiter Brains, by which time any existing actual aircraft will undoubtedly be fully AI controlled anyway, so.....

Edited by HiFlyer
spelling
  • Like 2

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

5 hours ago, sd_flyer said:

I have two students right now using MSFS as training aid. I'm signing both of them for solo

I may misunderstand what you're saying here, but as an instructor myself I sincerely hope MSFS is not a rating factor in a decision to let a student go solo 😮

Cheers, Bert

AMD Ryzen 5900X, 32 GB RAM, RTX 3080 Ti, Windows 11 Home 64 bit, MSFS

UGH ..

Video gets released with an MSFS feature 

In comes the nitpicking ... and the pro and con arguments and now people questioning peoples judgements in their real life careers.  (Whatever he uses as his criteria is the business among him, his students and the governing body btw). If you feel there is some safety/legal issue that deserves questioning im sure there are other means to question whatever he is doing .. This forum should not be it though or at least do it in private. 

Can we get back to the glider stuff please?

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Viotek 3440x1440p Freesync / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

1 hour ago, Rimshot said:

I may misunderstand what you're saying here, but as an instructor myself I sincerely hope MSFS is not a rating factor in a decision to let a student go solo 😮

"Training aid"  is a key word here. I would never assume that other CFI could endorse student solely based on some kind of training platform or study method.  There are requirements, regulations and judgment in play. I mean would you do it? LOL

Both student used MSFS as training aid to address problems. They performed better and progressed faster in flight training than those who didn't. Therefore,  both of them got endorsed for solo.  Hope it make sense !

• Like 3

flight sim addict, airplane owner, CFI

3 minutes ago, Maxis said:

In comes the nitpicking ... and the pro and con arguments and now people questioning peoples judgements in their real life careers.  (Whatever he uses as his criteria is the business among him, his students and the governing body btw).

I "learned" flying on FSX. After a few hours on my PPL training, my instructor asked me if I had any prior experience as I was doing quite well. 😉

But I've also inherited the simming-illness (too much movement on the stick). 😄

So, to come back on topic - MSFS is a great training aid to practise VFR flights in unfamiliar areas in advance. It just looks very much like the real world. This especially applies to gliding, which has always been a real turn-off in default scenery. Whereas it almost feels real at certain points in MSFS.

• Like 5

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

has no one ever told them about text-to-speech?

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

1 hour ago, turbomax said:

has no one ever told them about text-to-speech?

What does that have to do with gliders?

7 minutes ago, Tuskin38 said:

What does that have to do with gliders?

nothing. I think it would help me to understand their frenglish.

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

40 minutes ago, turbomax said:

nothing. I think it would help me to understand their frenglish.

I could understand them fine.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Tuskin38 said:

I could understand them fine.

I'm by far not perfect in english, so I'm not going to judge that. But it is true that french have a very strong accent. Interestingly, my wife as a native french speaker does not have that at all. 😄

• Like 2

Happy with MSFS 🙂
home simming evolved

If this is implemented correctly it could well sound the death knell for Condor: Soaring Simulator.  For those that have never tried it, it is a gliding simulator that models thermal activity and ridge soaring brilliantly. The flight model is sublime, and pilots organise online races regularly. Unfortunately, it has a graphics engine that looks about 20 years old. If MSFS can replicate, or surpass, the quality of gliding that Condor offers then I can see that community being sorely tempted by the sheer beauty of the MSFS world, and migrating across en-masse.

Edited by Bilbosmeggins
Omission
  • Like 3

5950X, RTX3090, 32GB@3600, Samsung Evo NVME 1TB, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswinds, Reverb G2.

8 minutes ago, Bilbosmeggins said:

If this is implemented correctly it could well sound the death knell for Condor: Soaring Simulator.  For those that have never tried it, it is a gliding simulator that models thermal activity and ridge soaring brilliantly. The flight model is sublime, and pilots organise online races regularly. Unfortunately, it has a graphics engine that looks about 20 years old. If MSFS can replicate, or surpass, the quality of gliding that Condor offers then I can see that community being sorely tempted by the sheer beauty of the MSFS world, and migrating across en-masse.

Even if MSFS doesn't surpass Condor in SU 11, it's probably just a matter of time until MSFS surpasses it. You can see that the MSFS team's direction is to make the most advance flight simulator possible on a desktop computer, and the work on the flight model, plus the hiring they are doing, is all pointing that the MSFS team wants the most advanced flight model possible.

• Like 1

i5-12400, RTX 3060 Ti, 32 GB RAM