Sign in to follow this  
turnandbank

FEX anticipation

I'm swear I'm about to crawl out of my skin :)We had a lot of storms in the area and so I decided to unplug my FS computerand I figured I would just wait until FE X came out before I tookanother flight.When the delay was announced on friday I went ahead and did some flyingbut now I'm back to that waiting is good thing where if you deprive yourself of something, it just makes it all the more enjoyable (if you ever do that )but the waiting is killing me.I will continue to wait. (but I cant go more than a few days without a flight):-jumpy

|   Dave   |    I've been around for most of my life.

There's always a sunset happening somewhere in the world that somebody is enjoying.

Guest Hocking

I know I saw some water screenshots yesterday and was completely amazed about what they are doing with water. I guess the water will be more in tune with the GEX portion of their product. I really don't know how they are going to their products really. I think they are going to offer FEX + Weather package as one product, and GEX as another product. In addition to this, you will have a choice to buy FEX+Weather Package+GEX in one bundle, and they will all be integrated.I really wish they would get up a website and inform people what their intentions are as far as their product line is concerned. It really looks like a promising product when you do see bits and pieces of it scattered throughout the internet at various sites.

Guest dwaohio

I have seen a preview and it FEX is great!!! The clouds are so realistic you think you are flying in a real aircraft. The water looks so good you want to jump into it. It puts all other cloud and water program to shame. If you are thinking about buying a program that includes clouds and water wait for FEX. I have flown it and I love it. DaveFEX Beta tester

Appreciate the obvious enthusiasm, Dave!I imagine the interface and greater functionality will be somewhat different from HiFi's ASX/ASG - but how much more "realistic" could the FEX clouds be when comparing with ASX clouds? With all due respect to Chris Norris, Peter Wilding and the FEX team - the team of Chris, Damian, Jim Skorna, of HiFi Sim are "not exactly amateurs" when it comes to producing and supporting realistic clouds. Their products and their unwavering devotion to the sim world - both in the early days of free addons - and more recently with their FS9 ActiveSky and ASX addons - are certainly nothing to be ashamed of, and only time will tell whether, or even IF there's a difference. It will be pretty subjective at best. I'm looking forward to the new FE/GEX release, and will buy it, sight unseen, as I know it will do for FSX what it did for FS9. One thing's for sure - there will be lots of opinion and discussion! :-)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

>Appreciate the obvious enthusiasm, Dave!>>>>I imagine the interface and greater functionality will be>somewhat different from HiFi's ASX/ASG - but how much more>"realistic" could the FEX clouds be when comparing with ASX>clouds? >2nd shot down...http://www.simforums.com/forums/forum_posts.asp?TID=21285;)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yep, very impatient for FEX over here. Those water shots are amazing. Going to get it for sure. Been using it in FS9 since last year and it's fantastic.But GEX is the one I'm really looking forward to. That's going to be the foundation of my FSX Silver Bullet.

I said it was subjective, didn't I? :-lol

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

lolwow, ok, even my wife said it looked very realistic...got your glasses on?;)to each his own I spose...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Well, Ryan; I think Andre was referring to the nice, pillow, slightly hard-edged cumulus which you can see building in the center of the cloud mass: it's out of place; it doesn't belong with the smudgy, very wind-blown darker clouds around it: also the perspective looks wrong - it's as if there's three separate wind-masses blowing out of a central spot somewhere behind the (I think) Twin Comanche. For me - it's not an issue - all the shots look great - but no better or no worse than ActiveSky X. Where this one scores, I think, is with the water. FSX's water texture is either exactly as in FS9, or you need to be at water level next to a floatplane to get an appreciation of "realness". At 1200ft this same (2X and above) is exactly the same texture on the lake, on the shore, in the estuary, up the river - or up the creek! AND anything over a "one" is a frame killer - so any improvement here from GE will be a bonus.These GE water shots speak for themselves: they look pretty darned good, don't they, and Chris Norris's article has sold me on their ability to create a top-notch product. I'm looking forward to it. . . . with my new glasses, of course. . . but they're not rose-colored. . . :-beerchug

Guest Hocking

Better give everyone a heads up about people criticizing FEX screenshots. This is payback for when Peter Wilding jumped in on a thread shortly after ASX was released and started criticizing some of their cloud textures. This made many people angry, and AVSIM actually deleted the thread a few days into it. I know about this thread because I am the one who started it. Many people thought that Peter Wilding was trying to take the steam out of ASX's newly released software, and they didn't like it.Anyway, there are going to be people jumping in and saying that FEX clouds don't look good in order to pay him back. Yeah, right. Everyone knows the clouds that have been shown so far look absolutely incredible. I am not going to say which is better (ASX or FEX) because I don't know. I have not seen many cloud screenshots from FEX yet. I have also only seen a couple from ASX. The screenshots I have seen look great. I will say this though, Flight Environment blew Active Sky's clouds out of the running in FS9, but this may have been due to the fact Active Sky didn't put a ton of effort into their clouds in FS9. Only time will tell.As far as the water, there were some screenshots released a few days ago that I found in a Google search. I couldn't believe what I was seeing. It looked as real as it could be. In the same thread I was reading, they were talking about how you are going to be able to adjust nearly anything and everything you want. Water color, wave height, tint of the color, inland water can be adjusted seperately from ocean water, ect..... It really sounds like an interesting program.

Been so busy moving house I completely missed this until now, it does look good.Any word on a release date and price?

Question: Will FEX take care of the cloud "sheets" that intermittently appear in FSX default scenery/clouds. These are the ones that are the 1st layer you see that look flat and have the lower mountain peaks going in and out. Do you know what I'm referring to here? Stan

>Anyway, there are going to be people jumping in and saying>that FEX clouds don't look good in order to pay him back. I won't be one of them - I think their clouds look phenomenal, their water also looks exceptionally good. And, btw, I was one of those 'angry' people in the thread that got deleted - but I think the criticism was warranted. It is unethical and in bad taste for someone with a financial stake in a product to criticize competition in this forum. Not even that - outright promotion should not happen here either. And these rules have been pretty much obeyed, they should be obeyed.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

>These GE water shots speak for themselves: they look pretty>darned good, don't they, and Chris Norris's article has sold>me on their ability to create a top-notch product.>> I'm looking forward to it. . . . with my new glasses, of>course. . . but they're not rose-colored. . . >>:-beerchug>Thank you Paul that's exactly what I'm seeing an unatural photo graphical cloud amongst a lot of other stuff..It must look realistic and blend in to the rest that's all But I have high standards for myself and it's my opinion the water is another story just great stuff ;-)Peter did great work with the FS9 version which I have from the start :-)But if you think that looks real fine by me but then again you don't have seen anything yet what can be done :-) (DX10 :9 ) nothing to do with another program :-bla just default FSX with DX10 hehehe...Just another opinion with graphical glasses and just with an unbiased objective view at things :-lolHave fun guys curious how this one will turn out and maybe I end up with the second version too...Cheers,Andr

André