Sign in to follow this  
turnandbank

FEX anticipation

>Well, Ryan; I think Andre was referring to the nice, pillow,>slightly hard-edged cumulus which you can see building in the>center of the cloud mass: it's out of place; Sorry, but I find this comment very ill-informed (referring to Andre's original observation). Anybody who did some flying among the clouds would tell you there is nothing out of place here, the real atmospherics can even be more startling and surprising by having hard and soft-edges clouds in not too distant proximity, specially at different altitudes. Also depending on the distance at which you look at the clouds the same cloud may appear more or less wispy - the closer you are the more wispy it may look and we are looking in this picture at clouds at vastly different distances. I think it is very unfair to anyone who is trying to model weather inside FS which is not easy to adhere to some kind of 'standards' that even don't exist in nature. I think these are very fine looking clouds.Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

>Sorry, but I find this comment ridiculous and nonsensical>(referring to Andre's original observation). Anybody who did>some flying among the clouds would tell you there is nothing>out of place here, the real atmospherics can even be moreIt's hard nowadays to have an opinion which is different to get flamed by :-lolHave fun Michael it's still my observation and opinion and you are the first in a long time to call that ridiculous and nonsensical...If you dis agree fine by me it's all in the eye of the beholder...Have fun in whatever clouds you fly man it's just a little game ;-)Cheers,Andr

André

>are the first in a long time to call that ridiculous and>nonsensical...I apologize for using too harsh words. I have since edited my statement.Michael J.

Yes, I agree and remember that thread as well. I thought it was in very bad taste although I don't beleive it started out that way on purpose. As a user of the ASv6.5 and GE-Pro2 intgrated-addons in FS9, I was quite bummed to learn of their separation. Now here we are, this or that addon... Can't all the addons just get along? LOL... :-samurai

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE

"Flight Environment blew Active Sky's clouds out of the running in FS9, but this may have been due to the fact Active Sky didn't put a ton of effort into their clouds in FS9."You must be joking!! I very much doubt Chris Willis will be impressed by that statement, nor am I.Mike

Guest Hocking

As far as my comment:"Flight Environment blew Active Sky's clouds out of the running in FS9, but this may have been due to the fact Active Sky didn't put a ton of effort into their clouds in FS9."What I was trying to say was that the major focus of the Active Sky software for FS9 was the weather program itself, not the sky graphics. They sky graphics just came with the program as a very nice touch. The clouds were fine, but they are not what made that software program what it was. The weather generator itself was the focus. I was not trying to put the clouds down, or anybodies work on them. In fact, I used them regularly for several months. They were nice clouds.However, I must add, when "Flight Environment" was released, the Active Sky clouds were completely forgotten about. Everybody wanted Flight Environment skies and clouds instead. Many people, like myself, were willing to spend an additional $30 bucks or more to buy the Flight Environment clouds/skies software to run with our Active Sky software that we already owned. We were willing to do this even though the Active Sky program already had a cloud texture package built in. It became very important, at the time, for the Active Sky people to make Flight Environment clouds/skies compatible with their software. Many of us ran the Active Sky software with the built-in Active Sky clouds disabled and the Flight Environment clouds running in all their glory. It was what many preferred. And then when Ground Environment came out, it was all over at that point.My personal opinion about Flight Environment vs. Active Sky Clouds in FS9 was that Flight Environment was off the charts as far as realism is concerned. There were times I just couldn't believe what I was seeing. Very realistic. I never got that feeling with the Active Sky clouds. That is a personal opinion.But, I admit that my chosen words could easily be interpreted as if I was putting down the clouds in Active Sky. For this I do apologize. That was not my intentions at all. I can see now that the Active Sky people are putting quite a bit more effort into their cloud textures because they are even offering it as a separate product which says alot. We will see what happens when FEX/GEX get released in the near future.

Guest danny68

The cloud sheets you mention are due to the cumulus overcast03.bmp which serves two purposes in FSX.First it's the haze layer (the sheets). This haze layer also serves to help fill the hole in the clouds as you climb through them. On the down side the way it meets mountains and even taller buildings look terrible. You can fix this by making the overcast03.bmp layer transparent or with a smaller less dense cloud on it. However, there is a major down side.The second purpose of the overcast03.bmp is to make the cirrus overcast look really overcast and it's the most dense and truly overcast cirrus you'll ever seen in either FS9 or FSX. Microsoft probably made a mistake using this one tile do both jobs. Fix one and you'll break the other as a result.So yes, you can remove the sheets but then when it's overcast it won't look overcast.There were various fixes in FS9 and the net result was a lot of people were complaining about the hole in clouds in FS9. They did this fix because they and the people making the fixes did not appreciate what the fix broke......Be careful what you ask for,

"However, I must add, when "Flight Environment" was released, the Active Sky clouds were completely forgotten about. Everybody wanted Flight Environment skies and clouds instead.""And then when Ground Environment came out, it was all over at that point."Are these quotes based on fact or your opinion?Would you be surprised that some prefer AS clouds over FE clouds?Would you be surprised to know that some purchase ASv6 based on the environmental textures, even after FE was released?Jimhttp://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpghttp://www.hifisim.com/

Jim - Jim - Jim!! Most of us know you have just as many loyal supporters as Peter and his friends. . . you don't have to get suckered into a pointless discussion vis-a-vis the merits of one set of clouds against another. Your product and it's reputation, and your personal devotion in the support of Active Sky in these forums is at the peak of "professional excellence". You don't need to defend it. My friend - sit back down, grab a beer and just smile . . .:-beerchug

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

>"However, I must add, when "Flight Environment" was released,>the Active Sky clouds were completely forgotten about.>Everybody wanted Flight Environment skies and clouds>instead.">>"And then when Ground Environment came out, it was all over at>that point.">>Are these quotes based on fact or your opinion?>>Would you be surprised that some prefer AS clouds over FE>clouds?>>Would you be surprised to know that some purchase ASv6 based>on the environmental textures, even after FE was released?>>Jim>>http://www.hifisim.com/banners/hifi-community-sigbanner.jpg>http://www.hifisim.com/Jim, I think both teams do such a good job I always buy BOTH Active Sky AND Flight Environment to keep you all happy ;)

Right on, Nick!. . an' I'm NOT biased in favor of AS. I will support any GOOD QUALITY addon software developer. It's a great, interesting, educational, very personal - hobby. for FS9:-FSG NA Mesh +LC, with UT_USA / Canada/Alaska, with the sandwich patch:ASv6.5 using FE cloudsGE ProFlyTampa all West Coast + Boston v2Cloud9 LAX & DCA. . .and - a hundred years from now it just won't matter. . :-bigangel

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

. . . Ready for another beer?:-beerchug:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol :-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol