Sign in to follow this  

Dornier Do-27: problems with approach

I don't know what it is, but I can't get the approach right with the Digital Aviation Dornier D0-27...Descending goed well, throttle not less than 0,5 ata and prop at 2600. But then begins the trouble. The checklist says I have to set the prop at 3000 during approach, but says nothing about the throttle. When I am still too far away for final, I'm having problems keeping the plane level: I guess prop shouldn't go beyond 3000 so I have to open the throttle again to keep a speed of about 100 kts. But somehow I can't find the right settings: or the prop goes too fast or too slow, I can't keep the speed at 100, whatever I do I seem to go too fast or lose too much speed. Before I know it I am flying at less than 50 kts while I'm still 2 miles away from the airfield... not good. Keeping the prop at 3000 is almost impossible btw because in the end you have to set throttle lower and lower and then the prop goes slower too of course.I tried descending later so that I would arrive at the airfield exactly on time, but in that case I am always WAY too fast and I can't reach flapspeeds until I've passed the airfield...I also tried to get back to cruise speeds and settings when I was too low too soon, but than it became impossible to get back to landing speeds (for flaps and all) in time.When I DO get a nice speed of 100 at approach and try to adjust it by lowering throttle (which should still NOT get under 0,5 ata... although the lists say it should be idle...?) I usually drop speed to fast too. And as soon as I pull back the trim (as said in the checklist) and set flaps it becomes almost impossible to land the plane, even at low speeds because it seems to keep on flying.Add to that the bad view outside the window at low speeds and there you have it: bad landings.Could someone please tell me how he or she does it...? Some sort of landing-the-Do-27-for-newbies? I never had problems like this in oher planes (I recently bought the SF260 and I can put her down, after flying a perfect circuit, with no problems at all), but somehow this Do-27 is almost TOO real as it gets for me... ;)It's getting a bit frustrating having to end flights with bad landings...BTW I usually manage to land anyway, but without flaps at high speeds and from daredevils steep angles... Awfull. Still, nothing really gets damaged, which surprises me everytime (since the Do-27 can get damaged in lots of ways and since I have the difficulty at hard!).

4.15 Before LandingNormal Descent:-1.Fuel Selector Valve Handle --FULLEST TANK2.Propeller Control Lever --3000 RPM3.Airspeed --100 KIAS--Downwind Leg:-1.Auxiliary Fuel Pump C/B --IN2.Carburetor Heat Control --CLIMATIC3.Parking Brake Handle --CHECK IN4.Brake Pressure --CHECK5.Shoulder Harness --LOCKKey Point:-1.Throttle --IDLE <<<<<<<<<<<<<----HERE2.Airspeed --75 KIAS3.Wing Flap Lever --SET TO 15

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

I don't have the FSX version (do have the FS9); but don't worry about maintaining the prop at 3000 rpm. All that means, is that the prop is now set to a low pitch setting, which is like low gear. This will provide the most power for a go-around as well as some braking action (at least they do on real planes, but I don't know how well the Do-27 does with this). With power getting pulled back to idle, there is no way the prop is going to stay close to 3000 rpm....... as you've noticed.L.Adamsonedit: this is why, as a student pilot, you'll do landings hundreds of times! :-hah

. . .just did a five or six landings, and was able to fly it down at less than 75 without problem, although I found with full flaps it needs a whack of down trim and a chunk of power. Yes - with pitch fully fine and power back she won't do 3 grand:One thing I think you're having a problem with: I believe they are referring to the approach to the airfield when they say "approach". It seems that you may be interpreting this as synonymous with "finals". The approach can start (in THIS slowboat) maybe four or five miles away: slow it down, go to fine pitch, power back and trim up 'till you are level at cct height and holding 100kts - then join the downwind leg, then slowly power back 'till she hits 75 or so, and pop 15 degrees - holding forward stick to stay level - and TRIM off the upward push from the flaps. You might need to add some power here. You should now be somewhere at the end of the downwind leg, about the turn to base, so gently peel into it (rudder, too) with your eyes glued on the airspeed: don't let the nose drop too much, as she will go past the 75kt mark and the flaps will "suffer damage". When you turn finals you can then ease on the last 20 degrees, hold the nose down and trim, and maybe add some power: this is going to depend on your distance to the threshold. Throttle manipulation coupled with pitch control are the two major keys in managing this aeroplane. I hope this will help you: I'm no expert, by any means, it's not an easy aircraft to fly initially: only with practice will it become so.. . . and the SF260 will spoil you. If you can drive a car you can fly one of these. . . . . . ;)

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Thanks for the detailed help! :) I didn't really mistake the approach for finals (although I am having troubles with both): it is indeed the approach phase, right after the descend, that's giving me problems. And due to the problems during approach, finals goes wrong too.I think I am too fixed on keeping the prop at 3000 and also holding the throttle just above 0,5 ata, as the checklists states (although the ata is left out in some parts of the checklist). In other words: I try to fly too much according to the checklist (which I have printed and at hand while I am flying ;) ). But I guess I just have to focus on keeping the altitude at 100 kts, while having the prop at fine pitch, no matter what throttle that may take. Do you try to maintain an rpm of 3000 or do you just set the prop full forward (fine pitch), regardless the rpm that produces? In all other planes that's the way I always did it (prop full forward), but well, the Do-27 is fragile and I don't want to hurt her... ;) It would be easier if I could just set it at full fine and deal the rest with throttle and pitch. ;)Also, the checklist (not the Normal procedure pdf) says to trim all the way backwards (!) at finals, but that's almost impossible... That way you have to fight and push the stick completely down in order to land at an angle of 40 degrees pointing downwards... I now see that the Normal procedures says to set trim ar required: a whole different story...! As you say you need a whack of down trim: that's a whole different story than full back trim!Anyway, I've already printed the post and I think I should be able to approach and land well now... ;) I think I'll have to make my own perfect checklist. ;)

>>Do you try to maintain an rpm of 3000 or do you just set the>prop full forward (fine pitch), regardless the rpm that>produces? In all other planes that's the way I always did it>(prop full forward), but well, the Do-27 is fragile and I>don't want to hurt her... ;) It would be easier if I could>just set it at full fine and deal the rest with throttle and>pitch. ;)>Yes, just set the prop full forward. That's the intention, as it's impossible to maintain 3000 rpm when pulling the throttle back. If you don't pull the throttle back, you don't land, unless you fly it onto the runway at high airspeeds! :D I made numerous landings last evening with my FS9 Do-27. It's a cinch, as I can land at very steep approach angles, at low airspeeds, thanks to it's STOL capabilities. I can come down steep, trim for a steep approach, and still loose airspeed all the way down. L.Adamson

Okay, so I'll just fly the way I am used too. ;) Pity the checklist is a bit off here and there. But apart from that the Do-27 is awesome. ;) Even the manual! I really liked the Operation-Manual_Chapter-7_Operation.pdf: usually you don't get all that info and you have to get it from other sources. So these minor misakes in the checklist are forgiven and forgotten. ;)

Well, I just had a perfect landing. So thanks again for helping out. ;) My main problem clearly was trying to keep the prop at a certain RPM. But now after descending I simply set if full forward, didn't look at it again, and with just having to control the throttle and watch the pitch I did a nice pattern and landing at just the right speed. Just as I was used to. ;) Very nice! Although the Do-27 does take some more effort to get her down nicely. So, thanks again! :)BTW Before I landed safe and sound I had to restart FSX and completely repair the plane because... I paused FSX... This is so annyoing... Even a simple pause (or using slew or going to the menu) can bring FSX completely to it's knees. Those are the times I wish I still had XP... After unpausing (which took ages) the Do-27 went into a spin, my controller didn't work (USB connection lost somehow) and the plane was overstressed. End of story. And all that just by pressing the Pause button because one of the kids called me... Very annoying. (The crashing, not the calling :( ).

. . . glad you got it under control, vanE.To fix the other "problem" - try this:-http://www.bose.ca/controller?event=VIEW_P...dset_index&ck=0:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol:-lol. . and the "pausing" issue - try "Alt-Enter" to go to a windowed mode first. I don't have Vista, so I'm not sure here. Anyway - good luck!:-beerchug

>To fix the other "problem" - try this:->>http://www.bose.ca/controller?event=VIEW_P...dset_index&ck=0;) :(I often use alt-enter, but just as often forget it... I press the pause button before thinking about it! I also do it quite often when I want to save a flight or load another plane or whatever, because indeed in windowed mode I have less problems. But as I said, too often I press the buttons too quick. Also because sometimes (really sometimes...!) it does work as it should...