Sign in to follow this  
Noel

How much 'stuttering' do you experience in MSFS?

In a typical 1-2 hour flight how many instances of stuttering can you detect?  

112 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. In a typical 1-2 hour flight how many instances of stuttering can you detect?

• 0-3
    • 4-6
    • 7-10
    • Greater than 10
  2. 2. Do you lock frames?

• Yes, thru RTSS
    • Yes, thru NCP
    • Yes, thru in-sim Vsync
    • Yes, thru Gsync
    • Yes, thru Freesync
    • No, I don't lock frames
  3. 3. What display resolution?

• 1080p
    • 1440p
    • Not listed here

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/31/2022 at 08:35 PM

9 hours ago, Noel said:

Here is a summary of my findings after a new Win install plus MSFS and its addons.

Noel, you should consider putting this excellent advice in the Tips and Tricks subforum so that it is widely available. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6200 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

dYn55y0_d.jpg?maxwidth=520&shape=thumb&f

1 hour ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Noel, you should consider putting this excellent advice in the Tips and Tricks subforum so that it is widely available. 

I'm doing MLSP to KHOU in the B78X HD in NVCP's Adaptive 1/2 rate Vsync and so far looking possibly as good as RTSS Frame Lock but w/o the tearline.  I think it's the complete lack of hesitation that equates to this type of smooth animation. I will do a few more in more demanding scenarios and see if it holds up but so far so good!  I will play around with a few more things then condense this story down to a reasonable length and post it if it still seems worth posting!

• Like 1

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

I am pretty happy currently, the only thing I can not get rid off (so far) is the CPU spikes when panning around. Certain tricks like using a proper Radeon chill setting reduces them quiet significantly, but they are still there, both visible als red lines in the FPS window using dev mode but also recognizable on screen. If I just do no panning, there is almost no stutter visible at all. 

And yes, the precaching option is already on ultra and it does not really matter if I set it on low, medium or high instead. Seems that my sim simply does not like fast view changes...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Here is RTSS Framerate Limit w/ Front Edge Sync in the CRJ700.  Note the virtual complete absence of frametime variability in the OSD on the bottom center of the screen.  This persists thru the whole flight including the night landing.  I have to think this absence of variability is equates to smoothest possible flight at that frame rate and why I am so struck by it.  Also note the relatively low load on the Main Thread, Core8 in the upper left.

I will do the same flight tomorrow w/ NVCP's Adaptive Vsync at 1/2 refresh which looks to be visually free of stutters as well, and w/o the tear-line that comes w/ RTSS Framerate Limit w/ Front Edge Sync.  It seemed less fluid but was still very good.  We will see what the frametime variability shows and compare.  Run in HD of course!  

https://youtu.be/znEgRDLD8EE

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Watched the video, i still see quite some stuttering from 4:20 in de video (might be videorelated).
No headtracking?
Where do you get the stuttering info from on the bottom of your video?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base & hegykc MFG Crosswind modded pedals, TrackIR4, no more VR

9 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Watched the video, i still see quite some stuttering from 4:20 in de video (might be videorelated).
No headtracking?
Where do you get the stuttering info from on the bottom of your video?

There is zero perceptable stuttering--the real focus was is on the remarkable unwavering frametime.  You're seeing stuttering secondary to high def video capture WHILE FLYING.

I am making another video now on the runner up for smoothness, which is NVCP's Adaptive Vsync at 1/2 refresh.  Watch the Frametime indicator when I post it and while it's decent it is nowhere near as stable as in RTSS Framerate Limit with Front Edge Sync, not to be confused Scanline Sync.

Edited by Noel

Noel

9 minutes ago, Noel said:

Front Edge Sync

Is this the "default" option? I don't see front edge sync being mentioned in RTSS?

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | MSI Gaming Trio X RTX 4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5-6200 32-38-38-30 32GB | Gigabyte X670 AORUS ELITE AX | WD Black SN850 2TB SSD

39 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Is this the "default" option? I don't see front edge sync being mentioned in RTSS?

Did you watch the video and check out the amazing lack of variance in frametime?   I'm uploading a video from NVCP Adaptive Vsync now and it's pretty good but you will see variances of up to 20% on occasion.  I think this total frametime consistency is where this perception of ultimate smoothness comes from.

No default is Async.

Noel

What do you recommend for Vsync setting while using this RTSS method??

Tapani Österberg

3 minutes ago, Virtpilot said:

What do you recommend for Vsync setting while using this RTSS method??

The smoothest animation is RTSS Framerate Limit at 30 w/ Front Edge Sync and with your monitor at 60hz.  It has remarkably low variability in frametime I am not able to try other configurations of frame rate nor monitor vertical refresh rate.

• Turn off Vsync in MSFS, and in NVCP as well
  • DO NOT use scanline sync in RTSS
  • DO set framerate to 30 on the front page of RTSS
  • Setup, Enable framerate limiter
    • Set to Front Edge Sync
  • The method also lowers load on the main thread in MSFS
  • As mentioned above this method also entails a migrating 'tear line' which is visible as a linear distortion.  Because it migrates vertically with each pan you very often will not notice it because your own vision is aimed away from where it is at that moment. 

The next best smoothest animation but without the tear line is NVCP's Adapative Vsync at 1/2 refresh rate (set screen to 60hz)

• Use it exclusively, i.e. turn of Vsync in-sim and  in RTSS's framerate limiter
  • This method increases load on the main thread and has modest variability in frametime

Other methods have not been included because they caused obvious stutters at some level over and above these two methods both of which rarely produce any visible stutter.  This is with Process Lasso optimized as well, see above post.

• Like 1

Noel

1 hour ago, Noel said:

Did you watch the video and check out the amazing lack of variance in frametime?

I did. It's silky smooth. 

7 minutes ago, Cpt_Piett said:

I did. It's silky smooth. 

Even more so live.  This being said NVCP's Adaptive Vsync 1/2 refresh is a close second.  I haven't done enough in it to decide if loss of the tearline is worth the slight decrease in smoothness.  It really solves the stuttering and is very smooth as well but I think I can reliably tell the diff.

Noel

I'm getting smooth animation most of the time. Flying airliners at the moment - A32NX, 737-700, Fenix. I'm getting decent performance with the FBW and the PMDG. But the Fenix is very hard on the main thread. Just did a benchmark flying into KMDW Chicago Midway in very heavy clouds. FPS dipped below 30 on several occasions, and the x% lows were quite low, hence stuttering. That was with FSLTL AI traffic at high settings (IFR85). 

This is the last 30 mins of the flight until vacating the runway. Notice the fps progressively falls as I get closer to the destination. My CPU cannot deal with the scenery, Fenix and the AI traffic. 

KL9V0Md.jpg

I did another benchmarking session of an RNAV approach in the PMDG 737-700 into KRNT Renton. Just to show there are situations in MSFS where it's difficult to get smooth performance with decent hardware. 

Settings: SU10 4K DX12 DLSS_Q Ultra TLOD150. Live weather (heavy clouds), Drzewiecki's KRNT, Orbx landmarks Seattle, global AI ship traffic v2, FSLTL AI traffic (IFR85), REX AccuSeason. 

The video and benchmark start at TOD FL380. Approaching KRNT the fps falls below 25 and there are some hard stutters / pauses. Other than tuning the graphics settings (reduce TLOD) and reduce the amount of AI traffic (AI ship, AI aircraft), I don't think there's much to do to improve the situation. 

1fUR6jJ.jpg

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1