Sign in to follow this  
jordanal

I ask for your aid and opinion on FSX

Hello to all. I am proprietor of a computer with the following characteristics: Intel Core 2 Duo 6700@ 2.66GNz Motherboard Asus Extreme Striker Graphical Card Asus with Chips Nvidia GeForce 8800GTX of 768MB. Operating system Windows XP Pro SP2. Please, you could indicate to me as it is the best configuration for FSX? Would be executed better FSX with an operating system Vista Windows? what version of Vista Windows would be the best one, considering my system? Would be better 32 or 64 bites? I have to say, that the computer is only and exclusively destined to FSX (FS9). A greeting and thanks for your attention.Israel Abril

Hi, welcome.Your system will run FS9 and FSX quite well I imagine. It's pretty high end so I wouldn't worry about performance.As for XP or Vista. I believe you won't see any advantage running on Vista at the moment (in the DX9 age). There is no reason to abandon XP for gaming right now.

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

At THIS moment XP would be the better choice. At this moment FSX runs better on XP (due to various reasons, like the drivers for the 8800GTX). However, at the end of this year the DirectX10 patch will be released. No one knows yet what that will mean for FSX but everyone hopes it will give better performance (besides enhancements that may COST performance). To benefit from DX10 you MUST have Vista.I think FSX will run better on Vista 64 bits IF you have more RAM (for instance 4 Gb). I do not really know if there is any real difference if you have 2 Gb RAM or less. I do know Vista 62 bits needs approved drivers of everything, so you will have to check if there are Vista 64 bits drivers for ALL your hardware. I chose Vista 32 bits because of that: it's a bit more relaxed as far as drivers is concerned. Maybe someone else can tell you if 64 bits is really better.

Then that is the problem, that I believe that I have a good equipment, and nevertheless the FSX benefits are not satisfactory (20 fpm in average configuration) Anybody with an equipment similar to mine me could pass their FS.CFG? Thank you very much by its aid.Israel Abril

I have a similar system (E6600 with an 8800GTX). My fsx.cfg is default, as far as performance tweaks are concerned. I wouldn't expect miracles just from the fsx.cfg, specially not from someone else's. It seems that very similar system need very dissimilar tweaks: it's all very personal and system dependent. Most gain can be won by simply lowering certain settings (water effects, autogen) in FSX itself. And by accepting that FSX just won't run supersmooth on current hardware. ;)

Guest jimcooper1

My System is an Asus P5N32-E, X6800, 2GB RAM, 2x 8800GTX.I've got a Dual-Boot so run both XP and Vista. At the moment XP is prefereable but I'm hoping DX10 will yield some benefits for Vista.Tried XP 64-bit but couldn't see any advantages even with 4GB RAM. Not sure anyone has written any 64-bit programs yet. FSX certainly didn't seem to make use of the extra 2GB memory.RegardsJim

Guest SkyDrift

Israel, If you have not done so already, I'd suggest reading Phil Taylor's blog (http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/default.aspx). He works on the MS ACES team that developed FSX and provides a great deal of information on how to improve FSX performance, as well as other good background information on the product.AVSIM's MS Flight Simulator Hardware Discussion (http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topics&forum=197) also has a lot of good real-world experience info from fellow flight simmers.My 2c:Since you have a DX10 compatible card & relatively high-end machine, I'd suggest that you upgrade to Vista so that you can take advantage of the DX10 compatibility that will be included in the FSX Acceleration pack that will be released towards the end of this year.(It remains to be seen what exactly DX10 will bring to FSX, but since you've paid for a DX10 card, & say that this machine will only be used for FSX, you might as well use the functionality you paid a lot of money for!).Vista does not provide significant performance gains over XP, but I think it would be better to upgrade now, before installing FSX, rather than install FSX on XP now, make lots of tweaks to get to run to your liking, only to have to do this all over again later when you do decide to upgrade to Vista.With regards to the flavor of Vista, All will run FSX equally well. I'd suggest either Basic or Home Premium: If you don't want the Aero functionality (which FSX does not use) or Windows Media, go with Basic. If you want Windows Media, & the new Aero Interface, go with Premium. Ultimate has features you are unlikely to use if only using the PC for FSX, so I'd not suggest that.See http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/...mg_id=10033WHb1for a quick feature comparison.I don't think 64-bit Vista will provide any significant FSX performance improvements for your machine, as FSX is a 32-bit application and, as has been mentioned by others, 64-bit Vista will not allow unsigned drivers to be loaded (potentially causing problems with loading 3rd paty or beta drivers) so I'd suggest you stick with 32-bit Vista, unless you know for sure that you will be installing other 64-bit games on the machine sometime in the future.Finally - don't forget to download & install FSX SP1 after installing FSX!Hope this helps. regards, Skydrift

Wow, you can't RDP (Remote Desktop) unless you have Business or Ultimate? If so, that is no good. You'd think Home Premium would allow that at least.RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Nope, the 'ol terminal-services components are only delivered with Ultimate.As for the OP (Jab), Hi and welcome.BTW, when you say that you are only averging 20FPS, I want make sure you're aware that there is a FPS slider in the display configuration which is defaulted to 20. There are plenty of dicussions throughout these boards regarding this setting or sliding it up to unlimited. Me personally, I find around 20 works best with all the extra addons I have laid over the default FSX installation.As for Vista or XP, I tried Vista for a month or so but in the end dropped back to XP. More stable with a bit more performance and much more mature drivers. I hope to try Vista again when it's required for DX10 patch in FSX and hopefully Vista SP1 will be on the streets.Searching this FSX forum and the previously mentioned Hardware forum should answer almost all your FSX questions. Unfortunitly, you have a bit of reading to do. Neverthless, post away if you have any questions.

Regards,
Al Jordan | KCAE