Sign in to follow this  
Guest bertvankampen

NL2000 Download Joke?

I hope you have weeks (yes weeks) to download this 5-part beast. They've chosen peer-to-peer techniques for the download. It took me more than a day just to get the download started on part 1. Time to complete - 193 hours - and I have a broadband cable connection.If you have a dial-up connection - you can't get there from here.I sure hope this package is worth waiting for (you will be waiting).fb

SInce this is the FSX forum... I hope you know this package is FS9 only?!?Its indeed a weird way of releasing things... AFAIK it's 21 Gb all in all, that's why they chose this Bittorent-method. Even if I did still fly in FS9 I'd pass on this one (the screenshots didn't get me excited too... but hey, it's free, so...! ;) )

Oooops! I thought I saw FSX someplace there but no, you're correct, this is FS9. Sorry about that. However, the download times are still relevant - way too long.fb

I will say the peer to peer method can work, however, most users will disconnect after getting it downloaded, thus causing a drop in speeds over the peer to peer network. They say to leave the connection open for a week after downloading, so others can benefit, but human nature takes over.. "Well, I can disconnect, because I'm sure others will stay on" or some users don't want to have the system on all the time. The problem here is, most will think this way, and before you know it, the peer to peer dwindles down to a handfull of users to get the files from. I guess it all depends too at what time of day you do connect. Maybe one day there will be a better way as technology improves.

Photorealistic Chile has been uploading for months and still comes. Why not do it that way? eg 200 x 100mb ?

Regards,

Max    

(YSSY)

i7-12700K | Corsair PC4-28700 DDR4 32Gb | Gigabyte RTX4090 24Gb | Gigabyte Z690 AORUS ELITE DDR4 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

IMHO when a gift is offered to you for free you have a choice of enjoying the gift, or not partaking, but providing negative feedback on the manner the gift was offered is not one of the options.

1 Its free2 Its for FS93 downloading 200 chunks from the (at the present not so fast) AVSIM filelibrary is also no joyYou can:1 Start the download of all 5 DVD's and look back after a week and they will be on your PC. (it takes some time to get up to speed and if you share the files for a while you do get better download times)2 Get several local FS club members to each download a DVD burn and share3 Get the DVD's at your full connection speed using the news server from your provider and a news leacher (its being posted there as we speak).The current distribution methods are free of charge. The freeware authors don't have to pay for bandwith and hosting servers. They are working for free already its not fair to make them pay for our pleasure to.It also helps if you setup your torrent client the right way. Some people have their firewalls blocking the TCP ports that enable the faster download speeds.http://compnetworking.about.com/od/bittorr...orrentports.htm

simcheck_sig_banner_retro.jpg

>The current distribution methods are free of charge. The>freeware authors don't have to pay for bandwith and hosting>servers. They are working for free already its not fair to>make them pay for our pleasure to.Indeed good points :-)You never can win it's always wrong just offer them then help for this great freeware gift and true labor of love for aviation still downloading lol :-)Cheers,Andr

André

>Photorealistic Chile has been uploading for months and still>comes. Why not do it that way? eg 200 x 100mb ? eeeeeew!No way..I prefer bittorrant to too many individual files.Maybe some addon vendor could provide a service to ship this on DVD charging only for shipping and packaging with the clear link on their website for a bittorrant free download.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

On my crapy 3000/512 Kbit/s ADSL connection I took 1,5 to 2 days to download all 5 DVD's. I can't be more precies because the first night my wireless card lost its connection most of the time.I'm installing now. This is just to say that with a reasonable internet connection you can download the full set in 2 days time.

I started my download last Friday and its still going on. I am almost done with the disks 2-5. Its the first disk thats giving me grief. Its so slow 5Mbits/sec? But I am patient. I had to restart my PC and it restarted pretty good. So I feel better.I plan to leave my spare PC (the one I am downloading) on for a month or two. No problem with that.But there is a way out. Some payware vendor could work with them to package this and sell it in addition to keeping the peer to peer (Bittorrant) stuff online. So the payment is for the disks, the packaging and shipping. It is value added. It does not take anything away from FREE WARE. And I would like to thank the NL Freeware scenery guys for doing this. Bless their hearts. I only wish others would do something like what this for other geography. I know that the Finland team did something like this for Helsinki and a few other airports... But nothing this size.The Netherlands 2000 Scenery Design TeamJohan Calj

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Guest bertvankampen

I have been started this download on 110707 at 21:00 and hopefully it has been fisnished today the 16...Now it's still waiting if there no errors...and then the installment itself.My connection is a DSL with 30-120Kb/s downloadWhen it all works i let you FS9-fans know what the results are....regards.Bert

The install itself also takes quite a while.The endresult is impressive. The only thing I miss from commercial packages is the recolouring. In some parts of the scenery you notice color differences between to different source photos. The resolution of this scenery is unsurpassed. Be carefull and leave your extended texture unchecked. That way the scenery loads much quicker. Itys a standard trick used with photo sceneries but after days of downloading and almost 1 hour installing you want things to go quick ;-)

Guest bertvankampen

Now more than 5 days later i have all the 5 dvd's "torrented" and after some 75 min. of installing at last NL2000V3 is running on FS9....But the first impressions are not completely satisfying.....but i will give it some days to get familiar with the interface and the whole add-on...Ill come back later with more results about this hugest add-on ever uploaded.RegardsBert

Guest bertvankampen

NL2000V3 is not a joke, but... After all the installment worked out well, but overall i am not very satisfied with the product itself.If you compare these 30Gb (GIGAbyte) with the 500Mb of VOZ...then i am slightly disappointed...Specially in my hometownarea Twente the only thing that scores a 7 out of 10 score is Twente AB, but still the aircraft are floating 2 meters above the ground...but the surrounding area is very poor (a 4 out of 10)No i don't think i keep this addon on my HD, even not just because it's Freeware, but also i cann't run my own designed parts anylonger because of the way NL2000V has been designed.Thanks and sorry NL2000-TEAM for all the hard work done over the years.Kind regards.Bert