Sign in to follow this  
FSXCYYZEGLL

Converting Ray Smith's FSX scenery to P3D?

Hi all.

I was wondering as there is somewhat of a lack of freeware available for P3D, I thought I'd try to convert Ray Smith's excellent scenery for P3D V5 for private use only as I understand he doesn't want any such conversions being made public.

Now, I understand that the taxiways need to be converted via ADE and that is relatively easy, where I get stuck on is converting the library objects. I can't really see a way to go forward, and the various recommendations and discussions seem a bit confusing at best. Since when I convert the taxiways (and don't alter in any way the BGL outside of changing the taxiways) the custom objects don't appear in the new conversion.

I'd appreciate any help regarding the issue, and I hope I haven't done anything wrong, as this is strictly for private use only, and from what I understood several other people on this forum had done so but simply not published due to a lack of permission from the author.

Thanks all

Signed FSXCYYZEGLL

Robert Catherall converted a lot of Ray Smith's sceneries (with permission) to P3D (mainly v4) on the avsim library. Most of them work on v5 as well (You may just have to recompile the afcad using ADE).

AVSIM Library

Edited by pommy80

Daniel

GPU : Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 OC | CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 7900X3D  | Memory : Kingston Fury Beast 32GB 6000MHz DDR5 | Motherboard : Gigabyte X670 Aorus Elite AX | Win : 11.

53 minutes ago, pommy80 said:

Robert Catherall converted a lot of Ray Smith's sceneries (with permission) to P3D (mainly v4) on the avsim library. Most of them work on v5 as well (You may just have to recompile the afcad using ADE).

AVSIM Library

Thank you and I do appreciate it. But there's 2 issues. Robert's work doesn't to my knowledge cover CYYZ. And second if I want to convert other sceneries for quieter airports (Carribean and such) I'd wind up returning to the same question.

Signed Jon

Do you have a specific example of a scenery where the scenery objects do not appear after you convert the taxiways? I would simply like to try it. Meanwhile, have you tried to export the scenery objects using ADE for FSX, and import them using ADE for P3D? 

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

See the first stickied topic in this forum:

This may help a lot. In the case of Ray Smith's sceneries, he has some custom objects embedded in his AFCADs. What I do is to leave his original sceneries as-is in a scenery folder, and then save the recompiled AFCADs in another scenery folder, with higher priority. I've used this approach for the latest SAEZ and SBGR, successfully.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

The problem is that many of his AFCADS for FSX contain objects that are not in P3Dv5's library, so ADE doesn't recognize them and won't compile them.

I asked him for permission to convert some of his sceneries to P3Dv5, but he refused, giving several reasons and excuses, some a bit odd, as to why he won't allow anyone to convert his scenery any more.  His scenery is becoming quite dated anyhow, so no big deal, really.

There is a way to convert his scenery with the custom objects to P3Dv5, but I would prefer not to publicly discuss it as Ray made references to his "copyrights" and such, so he's pretty serious about folks not altering his scenery.  Neither he, nor any developer, can tell you what you can and can't do with their software on your own computer as long as you don't distribute it to others or profit from it in some way.  Nevertheless, it's better to be safe than sorry.

Dave

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

Why don't we make it a project to create the equivalent scenery in P3Dv5? I've done a couple of the same type of sceneries, would anybody else like to collaborate? 

• Upvote 1

dv

Win 10 Pro || i7-8700K ||  32GB || ASUS Z370-P MB || NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11Gb || 2 960 PRO 1TB, 840 EVO

My Files in the AVSIM Library

22 hours ago, dave2013 said:

The problem is that many of his AFCADS for FSX contain objects that are not in P3Dv5's library, so ADE doesn't recognize them and won't compile them

That's why I said this:

On 11/1/2022 at 9:37 AM, Luis Hernandez said:

In the case of Ray Smith's sceneries, he has some custom objects embedded in his AFCADs. What I do is to leave his original sceneries as-is in a scenery folder, and then save the recompiled AFCADs in another scenery folder, with higher priority. I've used this approach for the latest SAEZ and SBGR, successfully.

Just compile it anyway! I think there's an option in ADE to compile it without the missing objects.

Edited by Luis Hernandez
Spelling

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

16 hours ago, Luis Hernandez said:

That's why I said this:

Just compile it anyway! I think there's an option in ADE to compile it without the missing objects.

I tried compiling anyways, it unfortunately didn't work.

However your trick of 2 sceneries did work and was successful for YYZ, I think because when my NGX landed there P3D crashed shortly afterwards, but hopefully such is just a minor occasional crash then something more insidious.

Signed jon