Sign in to follow this  
boris4356

Running Independant programs with FSX in Full Screen on secondary monitors

Does anyone know what makes FSX different in this regard from FS9. What I am trying to get at is, when you run FS9, if you don't have anything from FS9 undocked to secondary monitors, you can have a program like Flight Sim Moving Map run, or you can put a .jpg of a map, or a picture, etc...on the other monitors and still see them.When you run FSX, it doesn't matter if you have anything undocked to the secondary monitors or not, the screens will go black.Is there any way around this, or is it something in FSX that can't be changed?Thanks,Bill

I dont have any issues with FSX and dual scrren. I usually have the FMS on right screen as well as the Kneepad to keep track of messages etc. I dont have it in full scrren but that still only gives you the task bar at top which is a small price to pay. I have also run FSX commander on the other screen with no problems. Not sure whats causing your issue, NVida card. mines 8800 GTS.

Yes running windowed mode is the answer and, now that you can remove the menu bar by pressing alt for a few seconds, the window bar left isn't that obtrusive.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11

Don't you get a frame hit when in windowed mode?

John
My first SIM was a Link Trainer. My last was a T-6 II
AMD Ryzen 7 7800 X3D@ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB DDR5 RAM - 3 M2 Drives. 1 TB Boot, 2 TB Sim drive, 2 TB Add-on Drive, 6TB Backup data hard drive
RTX 3080 10GB VRAM, Meta Quest 3 VR Headset

Guest jshyluk

Some folks get a frame rate hit, others get a boost. Personally, on my system, I have noticed no difference. It's like locking your frame rates: some people get benefits, for others it's a liability. The bestthing to do is to experiment and try for yourself. The settings are easily reversed if you find you don't like them. Jeff ShylukSenior Staff Reviewer, Avsim

>I dont have any issues with FSX and dual scrren. I usually>have the FMS on right screen as well as the Kneepad to keep>track of messages etc. I dont have it in full scrren but that>still only gives you the task bar at top which is a small>price to pay. I have also run FSX commander on the other>screen with no problems. Not sure whats causing your issue,>NVida card. mines 8800 GTS.I think you may have misread my original post. I don't have any issues with FSX and dual screen either. My ATI video cards are running with no problems. As you have stated, I also can run any panels from within FSX on any additional monitors. FSX Commander must be able to interface directly with FSX. What I can't do is run an independant program like FSMM, or even just have a .jpg of a map on another screen like I was able to do with FS9. When you switch to full screen in FSX, all monitors go black.I would rather run FSX in full screen because it makes full use of your video card, and get a better quality. I don't know about your 8800 GTS, but ATI cards throttle down when not running in full screen.Bill