Sign in to follow this  
altenae

Yes another question about the 5800X3D

I went from an i9-10900k OC @5,2 GHz to an 5800x3d using a MSI 3080 at 4k and I would say it makes a huge difference. With the i9 I was using vsync at 30 fps with a 60 Hz screen and now I can use RTSS with a limit of 40 fps without a problem. The temps are nearly the same between 35-40C at normal use and up to max 70C in MSFS, using an 360 Asus AIO.

Ciao Michael

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x3d, Palit RTX 4080 GameRock OC, 64GB Corsair DDR4 3600, MSI MAG X570S Tomahawk Max WiFi, LG C3 OLED 42" 4K Display, ViewSonic 16" Touchscreen.

Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog + Pendular Rudder, Stream Deck XL, Tobii Eyetracker, TrackIR 5.

Windows 11 Pro 24H2 Insider Build

So, for now, majority think that upgrading from 10700k to this cpu worth it if you have 3000 series card. 

Uygar

Best Regards

I have a MSI 3080 12GB and it was paired with a 3600x. I took the plunge and bought the 5800X3D and the difference blew me away. My FPS has easily doubled on high settings with clouds on ultra running at 2K. It runs like absolute butter even using track ir with the Fenix.  My CPU is under volted  and runs about 60/65 degrees with my GPU running about 70% load and 70/80 degrees depending on where you are and time of day etc.  I am absolutely delighted with the difference. 

Scott Griffiths

I posted a detailed breakdown in the other 5800x3d thread in hardware, but upgrading from a boosted and power limit raised 5600x, I still saw +25% or so performance gain going to the 5800x3d.

Aorus Master X570 / 5800x3d w/ Arctic Freezer ii 280 / Asus TUF 3090 w/ gigabyte BIOS / 2x16GB b-die @ 3600Mhz 

8 hours ago, F737MAX said:

That doesn't sound right. On the Win 10 balanced power plan, my CPU Tdie is registering between 36.5°C and 37.9°C while typing this post.

I'm running an air cooled setup with a Noctua NH-D15 cooler and 2x 140mm fans at the front of my case. My CPU usually sits between 67°C and 74°C in MSFS, typically reaching 74°C - 78°C in more demanding scenarios.
Rarely hit my max. temperature of 82°C. That only happens when I throw the kitchen sink at my CPU, i.e. overcast weather, lots of AI, payware airport, payware city scenery, payware airliner and even then, CPU temp above 80°C lasts for just a few seconds.

My MSFS settings:
https://i.imgur.com/FXdRRds.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/rxk1dfM.jpg

How demanding are your settings in MSFS?

Perhaps consider editing your fan curves to get the fans working sooner and make the polling time faster, so that they are more responsive to temp spikes.

Personally I think I got a bum chip/lost the silicon lottery. This is also probably the worst aio cooler one could get. That noctua is probably way better than this MSI crud aio. Although I can tell it’s working properly and that it’s the chip putting out some serious heat because when I touch the radiator, it is very hot even with fans ramped up all the way. When I said over 80C all core I meant in a cinebench benchmark. In msfs temps are between 60 and 80c. 

1 hour ago, shamrockflyer said:

Im in the market for a new CPU as my 10980xe is just awful. Its either a 12700K or the 5800X3D which would you go for?

I would recommend the newer 13600k. It’s actually slightly cheaper and matches or beats the 12700k as a whole. 5800x3d has more cache and might squeak by a little more performance in msfs but the 13600k has it beat by far for multi core performance.

2 hours ago, JasonPC said:

I would recommend the newer 13600k. It’s actually slightly cheaper and matches or beats the 12700k as a whole. 5800x3d has more cache and might squeak by a little more performance in msfs but the 13600k has it beat by far for multi core performance.

But multi-core performance means very little in this sim.  Cache and singe-threaded performance is king. I actually get better performance by turning off SMT (hyper-threading) as it just means less cores competing for the same precious cache.

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 11/6/2022 at 10:48 AM, zalox said:

And compared with a 5900x, how it performs?

This has been my question and hesitation to move from my 5900X as well.

Kyle Weber (Private Pilot, ASEL; Flight Test Engineer)
Check out my repaints and downloads, all right here on AVSIM

I have a 5900x and have wanted to pick up the 5800x3d for a few months but everytime I do the thought of the desktop performance declining stops me. There is a huge gap there between the 2 and if I was only using the PC for MSFS I would have switched. I decided to just wait 3 or 4 more months and see what the new 7xxx x3d chips perform vs 5900x and go from there. I refuse to switch to intel, been w Amd since ryzen launched and never looked back due to the platform longevity. 

Edited by wiler

7900x3d , 64gb 6200mhz 30CL Ram, RTX 3080

33 minutes ago, CaptKornDog said:

This has been my question and hesitation to move from my 5900X as well.

spacer.png

More insights in this thread… 

Edited by Virtual-Chris
  • Like 1

I'm thinking the best move for people with ryzen 5 parts is to wait for a good price on a used one soon. I never bought a CPU used before but here I think I might when the price is right.

On 4K, which I run, I gather it mostly improves minimum fps slightly, for which 300+ bucks is a bit steep imho. I have higher expectations in a GPU upgrade, looking to buy a 7900XTX soon. After that, I will be CPU limited all the time no matter what, so I will then have another opportunity to consider the CPU upgrade, at which point a nice cheap used one might be available, to make me a bit less CPU limited 😄

Edited by rka

Laminar Research customer -- Asobo/MS customer -- not an X-Aviation customer - or am I? 😉

7 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

But multi-core performance means very little in this sim.  Cache and singe-threaded performance is king. I actually get better performance by turning off SMT (hyper-threading) as it just means less cores competing for the same precious cache.

That’s why I said the 5800x3d may squeak by more performance here but many people use their PCs for more than just flight sim.

Edited by JasonPC

My question about the 3xd is whether it reveals something about the way that MSFS is coded, which could be optimised at the code level so that performance becomes less dependent on the extra cache in the 3xd (or whatever else is the magic ingredient). 

18 hours ago, JasonPC said:

That’s why I said the 5800x3d may squeak by more performance here but many people use their PCs for more than just flight sim.

Yeah, I guess if time is money on a heavily multi-threaded task, the added investment in a 12-16core CPU is worth it, but if it’s just a hobby PC, that does a variety of workloads, the 5800x3D will do pretty much any multi-threaded task and give you the best performance in MSFS - it’s good bang for the buck. 

16 hours ago, tfm said:

My question about the 3xd is whether it reveals something about the way that MSFS is coded, which could be optimised at the code level so that performance becomes less dependent on the extra cache in the 3xd (or whatever else is the magic ingredient). 

My guess is the sheer volume of data that MSFS has to process, even at low LOD to render the scene is why memory latency, and thus cache size, is so helpful. 

Edited by Virtual-Chris