Sign in to follow this  
Alpine Scenery

PMDG (again)

4 minutes ago, MDFlier said:

For me, 99% of the time it happens, it is on the runway immediately after landing. Occasionally after turning off. It happens most often after stopping hard trying to make a turn off.

FWIW watched a video yesterday (737NG Driver) where this happened, it was caused by the aircraft thinking it had burst a tire and he fixed it in the maintenance menu. That wouldn't have occurred to me.

I have failures off, so unless PMDG ignores MSFS failure settings.
I do need to slowly get back to flying full "sim" realism mode, but right now I even have crashes off.

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

6 minutes ago, macky42 said:

FWIW watched a video yesterday (737NG Driver) where this happened, it was caused by the aircraft thinking it had burst a tire and he fixed it in the maintenance menu. That wouldn't have occurred to me.

I didn't mention that in my post, but this happens without any failure. In the blown tire event it is working as designed. Getting stuck without the failure is the one you can break free from. 

Overheated brakes can (and has for me) also cause this.

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

30 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

I don't really care that much, there are plenty of planes to fly, I just find it odd that the only real issues I've had with any plane happen to be a PMDG.

Have you submitted any tickets for these perceived issues to PMDG? 

PMDG has to be the most complicated desktop situation aircraft ever created.  I think slewing around with it would cause a lot of problems because the plane has to restore all of its systems rapidly in another location.  And if they programmed the FMC to be as close to real life then I can tell you from real-world avionics experience that moving a jet while the system is being aligned will introduce countless errors.  The FMS needs to know where it is at all times and fortunately we don't have the ability to slew a real jet, if we did I know the FMS would get "confused" and throw out all kinds of errors.  Sorry to break in this thread.

• Like 2

Jack Sawyer

1 hour ago, Alpine Scenery said:

I have failures off, so unless PMDG ignores MSFS failure settings.
I do need to slowly get back to flying full "sim" realism mode, but right now I even have crashes off.

it does ignore the MSFS failure settings. The PMDG aircraft has its own failure settings accessible via the CDU.

all the best

Jane

• Like 1

- Jane Whittaker

34 minutes ago, JaneRachel said:

it does ignore the MSFS failure settings. The PMDG aircraft has its own failure settings accessible via the CDU.

I think they are OFF by default. I have the PMDG failure settings turned off I believe. 
I think most of the PMDG failure settings were in addition to rather than in replacement of, because there are a lot more additional settings than MSFS has.

yibxMJu.jpg

Edited by Alpine Scenery

5 hours ago, MDFlier said:

I have seen this issue every once in a while going back to the first NG forP3Dv4. I have seen it once or twice in MSFS but I do not recall if it was in the 700 or 800. I do not have the 600.

For me, 99% of the time it happens, it is on the runway immediately after landing. Occasionally after turning off. It happens most often after stopping hard trying to make a turn off. Once it happens, it is like the parking brake is stuck on and the plane will not move. I have always been able to break it free by firewalling the the throttle and waiting. The airplane will start to creep forward, and eventually it will just (quickly) start moving normally. If I'm lucky enough to stop it in a reasonable position, I just continue on with the flight.

So, don't stress that issue Alpine (unless you are seeing this frequently?) because it's been around forever. It only happens to me once in several hundred flights, so I can live with it. Other things mess up flights more often than that.

You blew the tires.

It's logic PMDG has had in the NGXu in P3D since release. If you jam the brakes or land hard, it will blow the tires. Try resetting the brakes and tires in the FMC and report back.

23 minutes ago, mspencer said:

You blew the tires.

It's logic PMDG has had in the NGXu in P3D since release. If you jam the brakes or land hard, it will blow the tires. Try resetting the brakes and tires in the FMC and report back.

This is a bug that PMDG needs to fix. I can tell you from direct experience that you can stand on the brakes after landing and it won't blow a tire. 

Ohh I didn't even think about that; yes the PMDG will simulate not exactly a blown tire (you need to turn their failures on for that) but overheated brakes melting the fuse plugs and deflating your tire. I wonder if it simulates fused brakes as well? 

These things are only really realistic in the event of a heavy reject though; you're not going to see them on landing unless you land well overweight and stand on the brakes.  I've never tried to make it happen in the PMDG, never seen it. But I see folks mention it sometimes.  It's another of those realism touches that is probably overdone, given the wide range of hardware simmers are using.  Pretty tough to modulate brake pressure if you're using a button...

Edited by Stearmandriver
  • Like 1

Andrew Crowley

1 minute ago, Stearmandriver said:

Ohh I didn't even think about that; yes the PMDG will simulate not exactly a blown tire (you need to turn their failures on for that) but overheated brakes melting the fuse plugs and deflating your tire. I wonder if it simulates fused brakes as well? 

These things are only really realistic in the event of a heavy reject though; you're not going to see them on landing unless you land well overweight and stand on the brakes.  I've never tried to make it happen in the PMDG, never seen it. But I see folks mention it sometimes.  It's another of those realism touches that is probably overdone, given the wide range of hardware simmers are using.  Pretty tough to modulate brake pressure if you're using a button...

As a test after landing and while taxing I kept braking hard and soon had deflated tires. I use VirtualFly’s Ruddo pedals as they simulate real pedals.  In order to move I had to go to the maintenance screen and replace the tires and brakes and this was with failures set to off.

Jack Sawyer

The first thing I did (which is what anyone would do) was check the failure and maintenance screens to see if any reported issues, and there were none. I have seen that issue before though and was aware of it, but it's not the same issue as when things become unresponsive and the FMC also won't accept input. 

Edited by Alpine Scenery

18 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

The first thing I did (which is what anyone would do) was check the failure and maintenance screens to see if any reported issues, and there were none. I have seen that issue before though and was aware of it, but it's not the same issue as when things become unresponsive and the FMC also won't accept input. 

Do you use custom panel states? Sometimes panel states get messy and things go haywire from there. Solution in this case would be to load a default panel state.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

On 11/4/2022 at 3:14 PM, mspencer said:

You blew the tires.

No. It is the same symptom that you get when you blow a tire, but there is no failure shown in the FMS. When you actually blow the tire, you can fix it in the menus. What Alpine is referring to can happen even if you don't hit the breaks hard enough to blow the tires or overheat the brakes. I have never been able to make the airplane break free and start working normally again after causing either of those failures until after fixing them in the maintenance menu. Taxiing normally after fixing the failure in the FMS does not require full throttle to get moving again. 

For me, it happens like that only once about every 200 flights or so I didn't bother opening an incident with PMDG (this was back in P3D). I've only seen it 2 or 3 times in MSFS and one of those times the sim started up with the brakes locked and the plane sitting at the gate cold and dark. I couldn't get push back to work, so I slewed back. I then found that I could not taxi forward. Checked for failures. There were none. Used maintenance options to fix tires and breaks. No luck. I hit full throttle. After 20 or 30 seconds, the plane started creeping forward, and then let loose shortly thereafter. I taxied out and completed the flight. No issues at all on landing and taxi in.

So to be clear, Alpine is talking about when the "lockup" associated with a blown tires happens with no blown tire. It's real, and it is a very intermittent, long standing bug. I've seen too many reports of it over the years from people that should know enough to check for failures before posting it as an issue to believe otherwise.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440