Sign in to follow this  
Reset XPDR

How to solve major stuttering from clouds?

Guest davidvoogd

Hello,I just picked up a new system for FSX. It's an Intel Core2 Quattro Q6600 / 2GB Ram / ATI X1650 256mb / on board sound (Acer ASE770 if you want the specifics).I know from the start the video card isn't anything too special, but I figured I still should be able to run FSX reasonbly well, and I can.I have fps locked at 20, and I can get that with scenery dense, autogen normal, water high 1.0, even flying around downtown Seattle in the Jet City mission. However once I throw some clouds at the system it starts stuttering like made, with framerates jumping 13/20/13/20, esp if there are any big clouds.Asside from using the pathetic simple clouds, is there anything I can do? I haven't done any FSX.cfg tweaks yet, or any tweaks at all actually.Why does MS have to overdo the clouds every time? I wish there was some in between, even FS2002 style clouds so you can get performance while still getting IFR.Anyhow if anyone has suggestions they would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you.

Guest davidvoogd

Thanks Jim. I have my draw distance at the min (I think it's 60 for FSX). I have AF completely cranked though, perhaps that's the culprit, I'll have to play around with it a bit.

Guest CyberSimmer

Another thing you may want to try is to let the application (FSX) control the AF. I've noticed a slight performance boost doing this with my Nvidia card. I imagine it should work the same with your ATI card.Chris

There is also a reduced size cloud texture file on avsim somewhere might help, dosnt look to bad.

David,We meet again :-) Firstly, with a quad core CPU, I recommend removing the FPS lock - it only cages the beast. Secondly, since your new system has onboard sound, try reducing sound hardware acceleration using DXDIAG by one notch - it SIGNIFICANTLY reduced stutters due to cloud coverage for me. I found that AA/AF levels made no difference with this issue for me.Gary

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC 24GB | 32GB 3200MHz RAM | 2TB + 1TB NVME SSD | 2GB SSD | 2GB HDD | Corsair RM850 PSU | 240mm AIO | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | Thrustmaster T.16000M Flight Pack | 75" 4K60 TV | 40" 4K60 TV | Quest 3 | DOF Reality H3 Motion Platform

MSFS @ 4K Ultra DLSS Performance with 2.0x Secondary Scaling |  VR VDXR Godlike 80Hz SSW OXRTK @ 4500x4500 Custom FFR CAS 50% | MSFS VR Ultra DLSS Performance - Windows 11