Sign in to follow this  
ctalpas

Experience with Behringer Xtouch Mini as a controller

Hi Folks,

I see that it is possible to use the Behringer X-touch mini as an input device when coupled with Axis & ohs.

I'm considering purchasing one and am interested in hearing people's feedback who have used it.

Use case would typically be for G1000 in C172  and use with the WTmod CJ4

Any experience specifically with those uses would ideal but also interested in general happiness with the setup.

Thanks,

Chris

• Like 1

I found it extremely time consuming to get going, lots of programming lingo, and the manual not very intuitive, software developers should hire someone else for the manuals. but on the pro side it seems extremely versatile if you are prepared to spend less time flying and more time setting things up, after a while I managed to at least use the dials to zoom GPS maps, and even that varies from GPS model to the next. I think they should at least include templates for the default and additionally the most popular 3rd party aircraft instead of letting the user find out how it might work. best to find some prec-configured templates:

https://flightsim.to/file/38162/x-touch-mini-gauge-for-use-with-aao-axis-and-ohs

https://flightsim.to/file/9080/axis-and-ohs-template-for-x-touch-mini-a320-wip

https://www.youtube.com/c/FlightSimandOtherStuff/featured

Edited by turbomax

AMD 7800X3D, Windows 11, Gigabyte X670 AORUS Elite AX Motherboard, 64GB DDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z5 NEO RGB (AMD Expo), RTX 4090,  Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 2 TB PCIe 4.0, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe SSD 1 TB PCIe 4.0, 4K resolution 50" TV @60Hz, HP Reverb G2 VR headset @ 90 Hz, Honeycomb Aeronautical Bravo Throttle Quadrant, be quiet 1000W PSU, Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black air cooler.

60-130 fps. no CPU overclocking.

very nice.

very steep learning curve. Tutorials are few and put you through a lot of steps. Not friendly. On the positive side, you can program practically anything with a&o and for all the aircrafts.

What I've done is focus only on autopilot functions for various aircrafts.

With Xtouch I am able to create 3d printed buttons and create aircraft specific autopilots. It makes flying a pleasure.

• Like 1

Thanks turbomax and flyforever for your responses!

Sounds like a steep learning curve to get setup but once you overcome those hurdles, it works well.

I've found these two setup videos -the Flightsim & Other Stuff one doesn't go through the same level of assigning specific numbering to all the keys as does TOGATech.

Which is the preferred route in your experience?

Also has anyone had experience with this add on found flightsim.to?

https://flightsim.to/file/38162/x-touch-mini-gauge-for-use-with-aao-axis-and-ohs

Chris

On 11/4/2022 at 3:30 PM, ctalpas said:

I see that it is possible to use the Behringer X-touch mini as an input device when coupled with Axis & ohs.

I'm considering purchasing one and am interested in hearing people's feedback who have used it.

Use case would typically be for G1000 in C172  and use with the WTmod CJ4

Any experience specifically with those uses would ideal but also interested in general happiness with the setup.

Thanks,

Chris

I have the mini ($128 Cdn) with the basic Spad neXT that came out to ($33.55 Cdn) which includes one year of updates. Considering all that it still comes out to about 1/3 of the price of a Loopdeck.

Spad is by far not as complicated as the A&O once you get the hang of it it's fairly (un-complicated). When it comes to assigning either PMDG or MSFS events like for example pushing a button/toggle for landing gear it's incredibly easy to set up. If you are going to set it up for the default C172 or CJ4 and the G1000 it's not going to be that complicated. When you have payware aircraft it can get a tad more demanding because they "can" implement their own variables, the only thing I can't assign right now is how to dimm/increase the inside red night light. For example I have a 310R and I was able to assign the fuel levers to rotating knobs. Keep in mind though that I have all the buttons assigned on my honeycomb yoke like lights, battery, alt, mags, ect.. but on the Mini I was able to assign knobs to the HDG, buttons to landing lights and gear, knobs to radios, and all AP functions. For ex on the AP the one I like the most, two knobs to set the altitude and then I simply press it to arm it and the two buttons below knob it for VS up/down, it makes it incredibly less frustrated.

Honestly when I see YT's now when they try to wiggle their way to turn radio knobs or use the AP buttons I just facepalm and keep telling myself that's how it used to be. It just fits nice and flat right on top of the honeycomb yoke and I highly recommend the Mini with Spad and for me not having it now would be a nightmare.

4CVnXfi.jpg

Edited by FPStewy
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

17 hours ago, darshonaut said:

I use for flying the FBWA32X

HttjfGx.jpg

Nice one, what did you use to make those labels ?

Ryzen 5 5600X - Noctua U12A, 32Gb Vengence, Sapphire Pulse 5700xt, WD Black SN750 NVMe SSD

The X-Touch is an excellent piece of add-on hardware.  I've tried setting it up in both AAO and Spad.  Spad is definitely the better and easier choice.  I've got a cheap plastic mount screwed in to the Bravo that the X-Touch is sitting on (with a spot of Velcro to keep it in place).  The overlay is from taktility, but I did the design myself.

spacer.png

Edited by Iadbound
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Iadbound said:

The X-Touch is an excellent piece of add-on hardware.  I've tried setting it up in both AAO and Spad.  Spad is definitely the better and easier choice.  I've got a cheap plastic mount screwed in to the Bravo that the X-Touch is sitting on (with a spot of Velcro to keep it in place).  The overlay is from taktility, but I did the design myself.

spacer.png

That looks awesome. How do you differentiate between "push and pull / managed and selected" for one single button?

Edit: I think I just realize that the rotaries are also push buttons. That would explain your labeling.

Edit 2: That thing costs only 75€? I will order one right away! 

Edited by NovemberUniform
  • Upvote 1

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px

Has anyone used the x-touch mini to pass keystrokes or buttons to DCS? I have it working with A&O with MSFS and was curious. Haven't been able to find a lot of info on it with anything other than MSFS. Not familiar with spad.next but would defintaly give it a shot if I could integrate with DCS.

On 11/7/2022 at 3:18 PM, NovemberUniform said:

Edit: I think I just realize that the rotaries are also push buttons. That would explain your labeling.

Edit 2: That thing costs only 75€? I will order one right away! 

I use AxisAndOhs with it, and you can set each button of the X-Touch mini (the backlighted buttons plus the push function of the rotaries) with a "short push" and a "long push" action. For the Airbus FCU for example, I use a "long push" to simulate a "pull".

About the price : I paid 46€ for it two years ago ... I hesitated to buy a backup one, it was so cheap and useful. I should have !

38 minutes ago, Haddock69 said:

I use AxisAndOhs with it, and you can set each button of the X-Touch mini (the backlighted buttons plus the push function of the rotaries) with a "short push" and a "long push" action.

Thanks for the info. I got mine on Christmas and have already set it up to my liking with FSUIPC. 46€ is a steal. The only thing I don't like is the really thick and stiff usb cable, which is always in the way, somehow. 

cheers,
NiIs U.

AMD 5800X3D | 32GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200MHz | RTX 4070 12GB @ 1920x1050px