Sign in to follow this  
Guest UlfB

Trusted/gauge problem

Not what you want to do, but if I were in your situation.... I'd format...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

. . and so you need to re-activate FSX. This is the indicator that it has lost it's activation.

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Guest involution

I reinstalled FSX last week and it asked me to reactivate. I can only think that when you uninstalled some registry item remained and so maybe your new installation still carries your old activation code. What I did after uninstall, I ran searches with 'regedit' for anything from 'flight simulator' to 'fsx' and manually removed the host of leftover entries. Only after that I reinstalled, and it was like the first time.

Lets go back up the post list to where you posted the following >>I am trying the Microsoft resetsldl command >now-I used it to correct the activation error >that caused me to have to reinstall fsx a few >weeks ago only because the sim crashed on me >once, and I notice there is a switch that resets>the "trusted". I am hoping something works...>I also out of the clear blue sky had a BSOD (Vista Home Premium) with FSX not running. It destroyed my registry entry's for FSX activation, FS9 and AFCAD that looks at the FS9 registry entry.In order to get FSX to reintall I also had to run the error 1722 patch file (resetsldl.exe) to clear the trusted store.Since then I have not been able to install anything that needs a entry added to the FSX.cfg trusted menu section. What is fustrating is this also includes the SP1a SDK update for adding the dropdown menu for the Traffictoolbox.A Format of C:drive will surely correct the issue but if another BOD occurs then a current BU of the registry may be the only answer.

Guest UlfB

Geofa,As I mentioned in another thread, I also got the activation problem some time ago. When trying to run a repair of FSX, the installer had problems reading some file on the first DVD. I tried to uninstall FSX, but the installer failed. So I gave up, temporarily, on FSX and reinstalled FS2004.The other day I manually removed the traces of the FSX installer on my disk and in the Registry. Wow - what a task. I examined the folders in the WindowsInstaller folder (a hidden folder) and found a folder with a exe file (ARPPRODUCTICON.exe) with a FSX icon. I traced the folder name (some obscure number) in the Registry and removed all references to it. After a couple of hours work I finally managed to run a FSX install from my DVDs without any errors. I then installed SP1. But when I ran FSX I had no autogen. I tried a repair install, but this didn't help. I then uninstalled FSX and manually removed FSX folder left on the disk. I then installed FSX and SP1 once more, and this time everything seems allright with FSX. I now have reinstalled all FSX addons.All this trouble has cost me about four full days of work. And I'm suspecting that the MS installer structure and logig has become to smart. Yesterday a security patch for .NET Framework 2 failed to install when I ran Windows Update. After a couple of attempts to install the patch, I tried a repair install of Framework 2. Seemed to work, but the patch still failed to install. I then tried to uninstall Framework 2, but this failed. The installer refused to uninstall. So now I seem to be stuck with this problem and need to spend some day to manually remove .NET Framework 2 to be able to perform a reinstall. This is not good. I would be happy if somebody could give me a tip where to find a good .NET Framework Cleaner. And it seems that there is a market for a FSX Cleaner Utility as well. I would easily pay 30 bucks for a generic MS Installer Cleaner Utility like that, considering how much time I have to spend on those silly things. The fastest thing to do nowadays, when you run into trouble, is to reformat your harddisk. Pretty absurd, isn't it?Ulf BPS Before investing in Vista/DX10 I would like to have some utility on the market that makes it easy for me to configure Vista to a none fancy state with standard Windows GUI and only the essential services activated. I'd pay another 30 bucks for that wizzard.

Considering I have been spending 3 weeks on this thing it does seem like a reformat will be easier-though terribly painfull.I do have a concern though that this will be a regular event for the future.I agree this is absurd. Makes me want to almost reistall dos and go back to fs4!http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Guest UlfB

That's the price to pay for smart installers and copy protection.Ulf B

If you haven't already, you might want to check on some of the win sites, as maybe some of them can shed additional light on the best way to handle the problem.If that doesn't bear any fruit, then the format may be the simplest, most straightforward solution. And I do not say that lightly. I don't like saying that, but since it is my opinion that the activation and trusted store scheme is not robust, and since it seems to be so tightly hooked into the OS and its functioning, there seems no other feasible alternative in my mind.I have Acronis TrueImage, which, theoretically (I have not tested), would allow me to restore from a disk image, should my FSX start misbehaving. I did an image of an FSX+SP1 clean install. Before any mods. RhettAMD 3700+ (@2585 mhz), eVGA 7800GT 256 (Guru3D 93.71), ASUS A8N-E, PC Power 510 SLI, 2gb Corsair XMS 3-3-3-8 (1T), WD 150 gig 10000rpm Raptor, WD 250gig 7200rpm SATA2, Seagate 120gb 5400 rpm external HD, CoolerMaster Praetorian

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Ult B I had a similar problem installing .Net Framwork2 security patch so I sent an e-mail to MS support and received a utility called msicuu2.exe which removes MS installed items and instructions which I followed to successfully solve the problem. Sorry I deleted the information. The support address is mssupport.microsoft.com.Gary

Guest UlfB

Thanks Gary,I'll search for msicuu2.exe :-)Ulf B

Guest UlfB

Gary,I was easy. I used msicuu2.exe, which is the Windows Install Clean Up, and removed the installer data for .NET Framework 2. I then downloaded .NET Framwork 2 and the related security pathces. No problem with reinstalling.Thanks for the tip!Ulf B