Sign in to follow this  
peloto

Which is the best FS20 helicopter controller?

Which is the best helicopter controller?, I fly them with a gamepad very well and precise but I am thinking to buy by first time a flight joystick like this,SF-gallery-T16000M-fcs-flight-pack-pc-1.https://www.thrustmaster.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/SF-gallery-T16000M-fcs-flight-pack-pc-1.png https://www.thrustmaster.com/en-gb/products/t-16000m-fcs-flight-pack/. I watch a collective and a joystick in the video attached to a chair,

though I guess it is not for normal sales or at affordable price.

Edited by peloto

Whatever brands you decide to use, to get the best helicopter experience, you will need pedals. You must have all 3 peripherals. (if you want what they call "as real as it gets").

• Upvote 1

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

For me the above one is the best, medium level-balanced, affordable, excellent for all type of planes too, pedals included, and very important, HOTAS, to map them with tons of functions like real choppers HOTAS e.g. like the HPG H145 has.
I think there isn´t any problem using throttle as collective, because I am using the gamepad rear triggers and very well, with some tricks and getting used with them.

In real helicopters if you leave the collective at some position free without hands on it, it maintains the position like an aircraft thrust levers, right?

2 hours ago, peloto said:

In real helicopters if you leave the collective at some position free without hands on it, it maintains the position like an aircraft thrust levers, right?

I don’t know all the helicopters but usually you have a friction in the collective, if you tighten it the collective should stay in the position you leave it but normally with the vibrations tends to go down.

Besides the friction other helicopters have a Trim release, usually a trigger button that you have to press to move the collective to the desired position.

• Upvote 1

I second the Virpil suggestion. I have ben using a Virpil flightstick for about 6 months now and absolutely LOVE it. I now have both an A-10 Thrustmaster HOTAS stick as well as a Honeycomb Alpha Yoke and Bravo Throttle sitting on a shelf not being used. I will be replacing my Thrustmaster A-10 Throttle with a Virpil Throttle as well in the next few months. 

And as others above have said, rudder pedals are very much a plus for helo control. Lot's of good options out there. I use a set of MFG Rudder Pedals. 

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11

The Viper´s are impressive, one thing I don´t like, seeking info, is that they all (well known brands) don´t have a lonely and sad vibration motor at least, is there anyone?, the Force Feed Back I understand for patents problems (already expired?) seeking info, and I thought that technology of decades ago was the norm today, I remember to think to buy one Microsoft with the FFB 20 years ago.

I doubt to buy now one without rumble at least, I like how the gamepad vibrate when sometimes I touch the tail first with the ground.

M$ held the FF joystick patent, which is indeed expired. The patent troll was about something else.

You can easily confirm that yourself, on the us patent website.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, conundrum said:

M$ held the FF joystick patent, which is indeed expired. The patent troll was about something else.

You can easily confirm that yourself, on the us patent website.

I am yet really not interested by the moment in one HOTAS without FF, I am very happy as always with my MS gamepad (keyboard-mouse) with rumbles that move all the body, for all aircrafts, and less hassle, cables, more space, no buttkickers needed etc..

I am flying with the VKB Gladiator and the TWCS. The VKB is reasonably sensitive for the purpose and does not have a strong spring. I often do to not connect rudder pedals, and use the small arms on the TWCS for anti-torque, and it's thrust lever for cyclic. This is obviously only a work-around, but I can fly helicopters very well with it, even nasty ones.

• Like 1

Paul Schmidt

We're fools to make war on our brothers in arms.

On 11/6/2022 at 6:51 PM, sniper31 said:

I have ben using a Virpil flightstick for about 6 months now and absolutely LOVE it.  

hi Landon

Curious to understand why you like it better than the WH? a wider throw ? a weaker spring ?

Edited by Dominique_K

Dominique

Simming since 1981 -  4770k@3.7 GHz with 16 GB of RAM and a 1080 with 8 GB VRAM running a 27" @ 2560*1440 - Windows 10 - Warthog HOTAS - MFG pedals - MSFS Standard version with Steam

2 hours ago, peloto said:

I am yet really not interested by the moment in one HOTAS without FF, I am very happy as always with my MS gamepad (keyboard-mouse) with rumbles that move all the body, for all aircrafts, and less hassle, cables, more space, no buttkickers needed etc..

That’s actually rumble, not FF.

While the last part of your sentence applies for jetseat/buttkicker type devices, it’s pretty immersive.

3 hours ago, flyingpauls said:

I am flying with the VKB Gladiator and the TWCS. The VKB is reasonably sensitive for the purpose and does not have a strong spring. I often do to not connect rudder pedals, and use the small arms on the TWCS for anti-torque, and it's thrust lever for cyclic. This is obviously only a work-around, but I can fly helicopters very well with it, even nasty ones.

I found this YouTube video (3) Gladiator NXT EVO Quick start guide - YouTube (best to start at 3 minutes) which shows one can easily remove the springs completely. Is this the model you use?

Edited by Espana Pete

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X on ROG CROSSHAIR VIIl DARK HERO (AM4), Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 3080 V2 OC and 32 GB Vengeance Pro Ram 3600MHz. DELL Alienware AW3420DW 3440x1440 and DELL U2414H

On 12/19/2022 at 4:19 AM, Dominique_K said:

hi Landon

Curious to understand why you like it better than the WH? a wider throw ? a weaker spring ?

Sorry for the late response, I have been away from home for a few weeks. As to why I like the Virpil stick, it's because it is much more sensitive and smooth, and has LOTS more buttons and hats to assign controls to. Also, the grip itself is more comfortable in the hand, there is an adjustable hand rest as well as a twist axis that can be turned on or off. I use the twist axis for nosewheel steering on large jet aircraft. My Warthog stick is by all means well made and there is nothing wrong with it, but it just feels outdated compared to the Virpil design, in my opinion and experience.

• Like 1

AMD Ryzen 7800X3D & Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master MB, w/32 Gb GSkill DDR5 RAM, MSI 4090 GPU, lots of SSD's and M.2 drives, Fractal Torrent Case, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, Virpil Constellation Alpha Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Yoke Boeing Edition and MFG Rudder pedals. Currently on Win11