Sign in to follow this  
David Mills

Where were you on November 11, 1982?

Doing whatever two year olds do 😀

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

6 hours ago, Alpine Scenery said:

I was logged into a BBS arguing in ASCII, that MS FS 1.0 was not as good as Sub-Logic's original FS1 version on the Apple II.

Hmm... I wonder if we argued with each other?

5 hours ago, GSalden said:

I was 16 and living the 80s life : long hair, great music and luckily no cell phones. 
We saw eachother outside ….

Sounds exactly like the life I had here in the US. That's kind of funny.

1 hour ago, dihedral said:

Was actively flying the Sublogic flight sim on a Tandy TRS80 Model III - had been for about a year ± at that point iirc. Can't stress enough that in those days, it was just incredible to be able to be at home and "transport" oneself into a simulated realm of flight. Been at it ever since... 

That's exactly what I was doing at the computer lab in school. We had six Apple IIs, and four TRS 80s. I was hanging out with one of my friends after school playing flight Sim on a TRS-80 at the time when another friend walked in and told us that Microsoft had just released a new version. I can still hear the incessant clicking of the engine. LOL

• Like 2

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

I was 13yo and the only computer geek in my school (using those 'amazing' TRS-80s - hehehe).  Still two years away from my introduction into flight simulation (Sublogic Flight Simulator II on the C64).

• Like 2

10 hours ago, David Mills said:

Where were you -- and what were you doing -- on November 11, 1982, the day Microsoft Flight Simulator was first introduced 40 years ago?

My parents were getting married the very same day! So I was at least an idea back then. Now everything makes sense😁

Edited by Luis Hernandez
  • Like 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@120 Hz, Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4 (with v4.5 default airports).

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

Since it was a Thursday I was probably in Kindergarten until the afternoon and then at home playing in my room. 😉

• Like 1

https://postimg.cc/5XFnHWJ6

I was 46 years old on my 80286 Packard Bell, with 8Kb of ram and a 5-1/4" floppy drive, computer that I bought from Sears.  I couldn't believe that I could actually fly an airplane on my computer.

I was thinking then that it would be great if in the future,  I could actually see what was on the ground below me.

The future is now.

Roy

Edit:  Now that I remember my first computer was a Tandy TRS80.

Edited by Roy Warren
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, regis9 said:

Doing whatever two year olds do 😀

things didn't really change, did they? at least for some here every now and then 😉 

serious, back in 82 I was in 5th grade, a friend had a C64 and I was so jealous. Took me another 4 years to get an old TI with hundreds of BASIC code lines to be typed in manually. And another 5 years to get hold on FS4 running on an old (back then quite modern) amber screen PC I got for university but which I primarily used for flightsimming instead of doing my studies...

• Like 2

Phil Leaven

i5 10600KF, 32 GB 3200 RAM, MSI 3060 12GB OC, Asus ROG Z490-H, 2 WD Black NVME for each Win11 (500GB) and MSFS (1TB), MSFS Cache and Photogrammetry always disabled, Live Weather and Live Traffic always on, Res 2560x1440 on 27"

The first Pentiums (75 and up) were like the first "real PC's", everything before it was like a glorified calculator more than a PC.

• Like 1

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

Still serving in HM armed Forces [Royal Corps of Signals] and probably within a church recognising those who had "gone before", it was remembrance day.  Evenings probably helping son/daughter with their homework [TRS 80/BBC Computer] or working on my own SWTP Motorola 6800 Home Built computer.  Ah memories there 🙂 BR

M.

Edited by Paladin
Spelling
  • Like 1

Very Best Wishes,

Dr T. Maurice Murphy