Sign in to follow this  
RFields5421

Default GPS question

How to return to the preset flight plan after executing DIRECT to?Thanks.

I don't know but I also wondered about that. As soon as you exectue a Direct to, the complete flight plan is gone. Sometimes I want to skip a specific waypoint and move directly to the next WITHOUT deleting the REST of the flightplan. But whatever waypoint I choose to skip, the result is everything is gone... Maybe it's just a limitation of the FSX GPS...

Here is what the real world instructions say-don't know if the fsx one duplicates this or not:Try it out and then you can see if the fs unit is deficient in this area or not..http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/175324.jpgYou can get the real world manuals here:http://www8.garmin.com/support/userManual....ct=010-00139-11http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

Thx, but we are having problems AFTER these steps with which we are already familiar (right, Dirk98?). The problem isn't activating the Direct to, it's getting back to the flightplan. I memory serves me well, I could SKIP a waypoint by selecting another point in the Reality XP Garmin 430: the rest of the plan would stay in tact (or could at least be recalled/restored). But in the FSX version you have lost your flightplan as soon as you perform a Direct to... and THAT is the problem.

I qualify this by stating I don't use the fsx gps (I use a kln94)and I am busy right now with a bad problem with fsx so I can't check it out. But notice step two above. I assume if you just select direct to it changes the flight plan. I assume if you turn the right knob to flight plan-it will insert your "direct to" into the flight plan without modifying it-which if I understand correctly is what you wish to do.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

That's indeed what you would expect, but unfortunately it doesn't work that way... It deletes the rest of the flightplan and leaves the waypoint at which you want to fly directly as the only waypoint in the flightplan.But... I found out how to avoid this! Unfortunately this does ONLY work in the GNS500, so if you are flying a plane with the GPS 295 you are out of luck... The key simply is NOT to use the Direct to button anymore. Instead, go to the flightplan and enable the cursor. Move the cursor to the leg you want to activate (ending with the waypoint you want to fly to). Do NOT press the Direct to button, but press Menu instead. You will get a message asking if you want to activate the leg. Press Ent if you want to do so and there you are: the leg is activated while the rest of the plan is still completely intact! :)That is how Direct to SHOULD work btw... Wonder if this is a bug or not... BTW It IS a bit different of course, because Direct to will lead you DIRECTLY to the waypoint, while this method leads you to the LEG. But it's better than having the flightplan deleted altogether.BTW AFAIK this is the ONLY time the Menu button will work!

MS GPS handles one Plan at a time...Direct To and/or Selected Approach effectively replace the current plan when they are activated.

Best Regards,

Ron Hamilton PP|ASEL

Forumsig16.png

Yeh, thanks guys. It is still possible to load the original plan back while flying, isn't it? FS Flight Plannere in the menu.

Guest BobKK

While in flight, you can go into the flight planner and, via the "Edit" tab, restore your original flight plan. Just make sure you delete any waypoints that you have already crossed. (Otherwise, your AP will turn you around and try to fly to the first waypoint in the plan. Then re-save the plan and check "no" when you are asked if you want to start at your departure airport. Then resume the flight and ask ATC to approve your "new" flight plan, which they always will.

>But... I found out how to avoid this! Unfortunately this does>ONLY work in the GNS500, so if you are flying a plane with the>GPS 295 you are out of luck... Actually, that comment regarding the 295 is incorrect. There IS a way to accomplish the same goal using the GPS295.It's amazing what may be found simply by reading the Learning Center's extensive documentation... ;)To activate a specific leg of the active flight plan * From the Active Flight Plan page, press the CRSR button to activate the cursor. * Rotate the large knob to highlight the desired destination waypoint. * Press the MENU button, select the "Activate Leg?" option, and press the ENT button. (GPS 500 only) -or- Press the Direct-to button twice. (GPS 500 and GPS 295) A confirmation window will appear. * With Activate? highlighted, press the ENT button.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks, Bob. That's what I meant. I think it will take you a little longer to edit in the UI, than just select your ready plan, load it again and set the nex leg in the GPS.

>Actually, that comment regarding the 295 is incorrect. There>IS a way to accomplish the same goal using the GPS295.>>It's amazing what may be found simply by reading the Learning>Center's extensive documentation... ;)And it's even more amazing what may be found if you really read what I said. :(Let me repeat myself: when you use the Direct to option, the flightplan is erased and you are left only with the waypoint you want to fly to. You cannot restore the flightplan in the GPS itself. You can use the method to select a leg and press Menu, after which you can activate the leg (as you can see in your own post, copied from the Learning centre), but this is GPS500 ONLY, as I already said! I also already said that the option to use the Direct to does NOT work the way we want because the the rest of the plan will be erased! So, the text you copied indeed gives the impression that activating the leg using Menu gives the same result as using Direct to (the word 'or' implies that), but as I have said several times now this is NOT true! So this means that when you use the GPS 295 you can NOT activate a leg WITHOUT erasing the complete flightplan. Just like I said. ;) The GPS 295 has NO Menu button, so all you can do is use Direct to, which.... well, you know that by now. :(>Thanks, Bob. That's what I meant. I think it will take you a>little longer to edit in the UI, than just select your ready>plan, load it again and set the nex leg in the GPS.So Dirk98, be sure to use the GPS 500 AND the Menu button on the flightplan page and NOT (and I mean never ever) the Direct to button! Just as I said earlier today. ;) (Man, am I repeating myself or what...! :( )And if the plane you fly uses the GPS 295, you can quite simply edit the aircraft.cfg to replace the GPS 295 with the GPS 500! :)

You're correct, but in my situation the fix was not in the plan. It was VOX ATC that intelligently calculated the best route direct to that fix. If it were FS9 I could use RealityXP 530+400 combo. No way in FSX without losing the rest of the plan in my situation.

J van E, btw thanks for the find with the leg. I had read about it, but never came to use it practically. Sure, now I know what to do, if the ATC directs me to a fix that is IN THE ORIGINAL PLAN. Jeez, that bloody fix was not in the FMC database of FT's Legacy. Had to install Freandly Panel's GNS430 for such cases (very much functional btw compared to the default FSX). Some of my friends equipped more serious liners with handhelds (in real life) for similar occurrences. :)

No - you can only restore the original flight plan by going to the flight planner and reloading it.However, do not select the option to move the aircraft. If you do not allow that option, your aircraft will be exactly where you were.You can use the procedure above to select any waypoint in the flight plan and make it the NEXT ACTIVE waypoint.That has the same effect as Direct to - but does not erase all the future legs in the flight plan.Personally I think the section in the GPS-500 Learning Center cited above is poorly written.That may be how it works in the real world, but it won't do the job in Flight Simulator because we don't have the ability to enter a SERIES of additional waypoints without stopping the flight go to the flight planner.