Sign in to follow this  
dresoccer4

Can you tell which one is HDR?

I got a new HDR1000 monitor a few weeks ago and have been loving playing HDR games, everything looks fantastic. So I decided to fire up MSFS after a few months hiatus to try it out. However I'm confused because I honestly can't tell the difference bettwen HDR10 on and HDR10 off. Can you tell which is which? Anyone else run into this problem and found a solution?

https://ibb.co/Tt0VdYF 

https://ibb.co/YtD9Ytp 

(first, off)
(second, on)

28 minutes ago, dresoccer4 said:

Can you tell which is which?

Honestly, no.

• Like 1

Processor: Intel i9-13900KF 5.8GHz 24-Core, Graphics Processor: Nvidia RTX 4090 24GB GDDR6, System Memory: 64GB High Performance DDR5 SDRAM 5600MHz, Operating System: Windows 11 Home Edition, Motherboard: Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX, LGA 1700, CPU Cooling: Corsair H100i Elite 240mm Liquid Cooling, RGB and LCD Display, Chassis Fans: Corsair Low Decibel, Addressable RGB Fans, Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Fully Modular Ultra-Low-Noise Platinum ATX 1000 Watt, Primary Storage: 2TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, Secondary Storage: 1TB Samsung Gen 4 NVMe SSD, VR Headset: Meta Quest 2, Primary Display: SONY 4K Bravia 75-inch, 2nd Display: SONY 4K Bravia 43-inch, 3rd Display: Vizio 28-inch, 1920x1080. Controller: Xbox Controller attached to PC via USB.

Just now, David Mills said:

Honestly, no.

glad to hear! was worried i was going bling and missing the obvious 😄 

• Like 1

The one that says HDR on is the one where HDR is on and the one that says HDR off is the one with HDR off?

• Like 4

I have a HDR 10 LG C1 and I don't see a huge difference either. The main difference I find is in night lighting where lights and strobes appear brighter against a dark background.

Edited by steve310002

Funny to read a thread about high DYNAMIC(!) range and someone asking for a difference between two STATIC(!) screenshots. If you make a video, I am pretty sure most would be able to tell the difference...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Not surprisingly, on my iPad they look the same. I don’t think you can just take a screen shot of HDR and share it here and expect the difference to be visible. 

But also make sure you are using the Windows HDR utility to calibrate the white point to the max luminosity of your display. Your settings or lack of proper settings could be creating a tone map that doesn’t take full advantage of your display.  

Then look for blown out highlights vs more definition in the highlights… like the sun and clouds lit up by the sun.  

50 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Funny to read a thread about high DYNAMIC(!) range and someone asking for a difference between two STATIC(!) screenshots. If you make a video, I am pretty sure most would be able to tell the difference...

Its got nothing to do with moving images, I suppose, you've never heard of HDR photography?

Edited by Sceadu
  • Like 3

Are those screenshots?  If the image is enhanced on your HDR monitor, then it won't show on screenshots.  They are grabbed on your PC before the image is sent to your monitor for enhancement.

• Like 2

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

There is a known bug with HDR not activating in the sim properly with SU10. Try Alt-Entering to go to windowed. move the window on your screen and then Alt-Enter again. This should re-enable HDR. Its fixed in SU11

• Like 3

Chris Warner

PMDG : JS4100, MD-11, 737 NGX (Soon!)

3 hours ago, dresoccer4 said:

glad to hear! was worried i was going bling and missing the obvious 😄 

Have you tried the trick of alt+entering to go into windowed mode, moving the window slightly (you will see HDR kick in) then go back to full screen?

I think they fixed this in SU11 but SU10 to see HDR you have to go through above process.

i7 12700K , 32GB RAM @3600MHz, Asus Z690-Plus D4 MB, Gainward 4090 RTX Graphics, 850W Corsair PSU, Kraken AIO watercooler, Nvme 1TB ssd, 1TB ssd, 500GB ssd.

I'm assuming that you have HDR set in the Windows graphics settings and in msfs.

W11 does handle HDR much better than W10

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Why don’t you simply press WIN + ALT + B while running the sim and you can simply compare it instantly?

On my LG OLED HDR makes a huge difference. Especially at night / dark scenes. 

Edited by MySound
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Glenn Fitzpatrick said:

HDR, when working, is noticeably better even on my HDR400 monitor.

Like I said earlier though, if a lot of the processing is being done on the HDR monitor, how can a screenshot (taken from the PC image before being sent to the monitor) be expected to show the full HDR effect being displayed by the monitor?  Am I missing something or being stupid?  :smile:

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.