Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eek

A VOR pop quiz...try your luck

I'm going to treat this one just as I would a backcourse localizer and say that the station is to my right and ahead, say 1-2:00, and I would have to turn to the right as well to intercept the selected course. Just taking a stab at it!http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Guest OneTinSoldier

>To answer the>original question you are at a bearing of 181 to 269 from the>station.>>Jack C>ATPL>DHC8 and soon to be B737-6-7-8>6000 TT>Hi,I believe this would be the correct answer.Cheers,OTS

Nope I screwed my self up. When I said 12 oclock i mean straight up (meaning north). So if it was 090 on the obs and the VOR is North of us, then the OFF flag would show. My translation got all screwed but yes your green area on the diagram is correct, same with the red. And like i was going to explain earlier, if you were in the green shaded area as per your diagram it may not be possbile to intercept the 090 radial. It depends on how far you are away from the VOR and how much of a cut. If you took a 90 degree cut (heading 360) you would never intercept the 090 radial.

I could be way wrong on this but this is may thinking. Wouldn't your plane be NW of the VOR. Somewhere between 270 and 360. If the CDI needle was to the left, then that would put you north of the 090 radial, and if the TO flag is on then you would be west of the Vor. You would have to turn left to intercept it. So I would look over my left shoulder between 9 and 6 o'clock, being that 12 o'clock is the direction I am going. I don't think it matters if the OBS is set to 090 or 270 except for the TO/From flag. If you tuned in the 270 then the only thing that would change is the flag. Like I said I could be wrong in my thinking but that is what I came up with.Glenn

My solution.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/154428.jpgThe VOR indication is independent of the aircraft heading and indicates the deviation from the selected radial, in this case 90 deg, as shown by the right-hand CDI. So the aircraft is to the north of the 90 deg radial and in the quadrant between 0 deg and 90 deg because the TO flag is showing. The aircraft heading is 270 deg and the left-hand CDI is rotated to align with the aircraft heading but its indication doesn't change. So the VOR is ahead and to the left of the aircaft.

After looking at your diagram, I think I got myself confused on the flag. I was thinking it would change from TO/FROM by changing the OBS, but it doesn't, it will only change with the plane flying past it. So I was thinking that by having the TO on the 090 I would be west, but I would realy be east of the vor and north. So I think I was wrong by saying NW, I should have said NE. So it would be in front and to the left. That makes the most since to me.Glenn

Guest Stryker

Gah, I was posting this while they moved the topic. Here it is again:A couple things:mgh, your diagram is incorrect because it is not possible for the nav indicator to show a "to" flag when tuned to 090 when the aircraft is anywhere east of the station, since tracking 090 would actually take you from the station.The aircraft is southwest of the VOR. Glenn, If you were to switch the OBS around to 270, the to/from flag would indeed switch over to "from", BUT the needle would also swing over to the right side of the display.I found a java VOR trainer using google. Everyone can try your theories out on this.http://www.visi.com/~mim/nav/Ok, now for something I noticed in CowlFlaps's original post but dismissed earlier as an error in terminology. It may be a simple question or a trick question depending on what he means when he says "radial."He says you have the 090 RADIAL tuned in and asks how can you intercept the 090 RADIAL. First of all, to use precise terminology, you do not tune in a radial on the OBS, you tune in a course. Technically it is kind of incorrect to say you have the 090 radial tuned in. You actually have the 090 course tuned in. Then, depending on what side of the station you are on, the CDI is telling you your deviation from the actual radial of the course tuned in ("from" flag) or it's reciprocal ("to" flag).The 090 radial only exists on the east side of the VOR. The term "radial" only refers to courses from the VOR, not to. However, people often make the mistake of saying that they are dialing in a "radial TO the station." I assumed that CowlFlaps made this common error, especially when he also put in parentheses "on the course index", and when he asks what direction you would turn "to intercept the radial" I assumed he actually just meant he wanted the needle centered. In this case, if you turned right to 360, the needle would eventually center, and you would be on the 270 radial.If, in fact, the question is "from the given information, how does one intercept the 090 radial?" then there are a few ways, all technically correct. You could turn left to 090, fly east until the to/from indicator flips to "from", then turn left to a northeasterly heading to intercept the 090 radial.You could also turn right to heading 360, intercept the 270 radial and track it inbound to the station, then once you pass it you will be on the 090 radial. You would leave the OBS on 090 the whole time, because to track a radial inbound to the station (270 in this case), you tune its reciprocal in the OBS.You could also turn right (or left, but right is a shorter turn) to some northeasterly heading and fly it until the needle centers. In this case, the needle may center before or after you pass the station, but in either case you will eventually be on the 090 radial.*takes a drink of water and caps the dry-erase marker*Ok, I think I have all the bases covered here. My question to Cowlflaps is, were you trying to trick us with that terminology, or did you really mean "course" every time you said "radial"?

Guest Stryker

A couple more things after rereading the entire thread:1. Jack assumed "090 radial" literally meant "090 radial" all along. I assumed it meant "090 course" up until my last post.2. I like Manny's VOR trainter link better.3. I've obviously broken the 10-second rule.

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi, A less silly answer than my last one.On a course of 270, with the VOR set at 90 and the marker set to the left and the flag showing to the VOR you are flying parallel to the VOR and would need to look over your left shoulder somewhere between 6 and 9 o'clock to see it.To intercept the 90 radial,keeping the flag to the left, you need first to turn the airplane to a heading somewhere between 0 and 90 and fly that until the pointer starts to centre itself, then you turn to 270 again and continue on your course.Andy.Took me way longer than 10 seconds to get this far. I still need to ask why?!

Weird how people keep coming up with different answers. The answer IS you are to the SE of the VOR and IF you are heading 270 you would have to turn your head 091 to 179 relative to the nose of the aircraft.

Guest Stryker

>The answer IS you are to the SE of the VOR...You mean SW, 181 to 269 relative to the station, like you said the first time, and also as indicated by the green area of my crude drawing, which you said you agreed with.

LMAO SEE i am screwing myself up royally already. YES SW. thx guys

Guest lemonadedrinker

hi,<<>>you're quite right!I was confused by the lights and everything.Andy.

mgh,In your diagram the VOR does not show reverse sensing.,.. which it should... when the VOR's OBS is 90 and the airplane's heading is 270.Let;s say, the airplane turns from the heading of 270 around its axis to 90 degrees.. your airplane's VOR needle would be pointing away from the track.. which is not right. Mind you.. the needle is not going to change no matter the airplanes heading.Jeremy Louden has it right.Manny

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter