Sign in to follow this  
Guest Eek

A VOR pop quiz...try your luck

Guest Stryker

Still waiting to hear from CFO if he actually meant the "true" (magnetic actually) 090 radial and was not just talking about centering the needle.

Lemonade...Yes it would....because it is tuned to an incorrect OBS. You could turn the OBS and center the needle, but if you kept turning it it would right on past center to the otherside.http://www.my-buddy-icon.com/Icons/objects/red_3d_plane.gifAlex ChristoffN562ZBaltimore, MD

PowerSpec G426 PC running Windows 11 Pro 64-bit OS, Intel Core i7-6700K processor @3.5GHz, ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 12GB Dual Graphics Card, ASUS TUF Z590-Plus Gaming motherboard, Samsung 870 EVO 2TB SSD, Samsung 750 EVO 500GB SSD, Acer Predator X34 34" curved monitor (external view), RealSim Gear G-1000 avionics hardware, Slavix, Stay Level Custom Metal Panel, Honeycomb Alpha Yoke, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Redbird Alloy THI, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals.

Yes, you are quite correct. I got it wrong :(

Hey Jeremy, In my above response I was useing the mooney bravo in fs2004 and the CDI needle stays on the left side when I spin it around. But I relize now that that it stays on the left side of me looking at the instrument and not the needle. You are obviously correct when saying that it moves right to left, I just got confused, which then confused me on what CFO was trying to say. So I was thinking that it was on the left when pointing at 090, but now know that it was really to the right, which put me to the north. Thanks for clearning that up for me. I hope that was not to confusing, I seem to be doing that alot lately.Glenn

Guest lemonadedrinker

Hi,this has been a great post. Sown plenty of confusion and plenty of intelligent comment!!What it's all about.Andy.

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

HI all. I really enjoyed this. Sorry I didn't get back earlier, but internet out after a storm for a day or so!!Anyway, this puzzle is embedded in a current edition of the AOPA training eMagazine. Check it out. It was just small example in the larger article that could almost be missed but I realized it was not obvious. More importantly, I had been making these types of errors in the flight sim, Wih enough thought I can solve them, but I realized I will need to do so more efficiently when I resule training in real life.early everyone realized that your ac's heading doesn't dictate the To/From ut it does matter as you begin to think about which way to turn.Jack, Jeremy, Styker gave great answers, as did others. The short answer is:You are SW of the VOR and you need to turn right (a course north/ northwest) to intercept and track the 90/TO Course indicator. The Vor is thus between 3 and 5-6 o'clock.The challenge is to solve these efficiently, and I'm no expert. Here's how I reasoned it. The radial in question was the 90/TO. Radials always radiate FROM a station, so to know your position relative to the station, you need to know the FROM indication. The 90/TO is of course the 270/FROM. You can only receive a 270/FROM (90/TO) if you are in the same hemisphere as the 270/FROM. Thus you must be West of the station (If you were in the corresponding location East, you would be receiving 90/FROM and 270/TO, just to belabor the point). You are west of the VOR and heading west (the problem said ac heading 270). So, from the VOR's perspective, it "sees" you to the west and receding away. But are you north or south of the specific radial? If you wanted to tune your OBI consistent with your flight path and relative location you would tune 270/FROM. If you did so, and if the 270/FROM was to your actual left, your CDI would reflect left and vice versa (ignoring the zone of abiguity. There are ways to detect this tho). But, you tuned 90/TO, the reciprocal. This is the metaphoric equivalent of turning around to face the VOR as you walk backwards away from it to the west. Your CDI is saying the specific radial is to your left in this circumstance, but you can easily visualize that if you turned to "face" forward again, your old left would be on your right. The radial in question is to the right of your course and you are west of the VOR. Look over your right shoulder to "see" the VOR and turn right to intercept the radial you set.

>>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/154495.jpg>If I missed the approach, it's total IMC, and I know that rising terrain is close in several directions; and my mind is beginning to whirl in uncertainty, as sweat bubbles form on my forehead...........I'll take the pic on the left, which represents what you'd see on a moving map GPS. A split second to decipher exact location, versus a possible ten seconds to affinity to interpret the gauges on the right.Yep, when the mind looses it, a picture is just like a thousand words, and this quiz seems to prove it! :-hah L.Adamson ---- bring on the GPS's and decommission the VOR's :7

Guest Stryker

>The radial in question was the 90/TO.>Radials always radiate FROM a station.To be nitpicky, you're contradicting yourself there. There is no 090 radial TO the station. There is a 090 COURSE to the station, which is the correct terminology. ATC will always tell you the radial ("from" only), and then whether they want you to track inbound (in which you tune the reciprocal course) or outbound.In the problem given, if you turn north and intercept the 090 course to the station, you won't actually be on the 090 radial until after you pass the VOR. I wasn't sure if you wanted to be that technical in the answer though.It's a common mistake in terminology though, and one I didn't realize until I became a CFII. Like I said I wasn't sure if it was intentional and it was a semi-trick question, or if you actually made the mistake yourself.Great thread!

Guest DreamFleet

I would hope that we all know that aircraft heading does not indicate TO / FROM. Heck, you could be upside down and pointing towards the ground and it makes no difference.Consider this: What if you were in a helicopter, hovering? Does anyone think what which way the nose of the chopper is pointing would make a difference?However, your aircraft's heading and movement will eventually cause the CDI / TO / FROM indicator to do something. ;-) Anyone ever try the OBS mode on the Garmin 430/530?Regards,http://www.dreamfleet2000.com/gfx/images/F...R_FORUM_LOU.jpg

Guest CowlFlapsOpen

Hey Jeremy. You're correct, I should have been more precise. There are only FROM radials technically.

Guest Eek

>L.Adamson ---- bring on the GPS's and decommission the VOR's>:7 Just a hypothetical... The U.S. is under attack by aircraft like Sept.11 and you're flying along with your GPS. The DOD decides to shut off the GPS sats to prevent/hinder the attacks :-eek (from what I understand, they can disable the GPS system at anytime).Your GPS receiver is a fancy paperweight. Wouldn't you like to have some nice VORs and ADFs to guide you home (or at least to the nearest)? :-smile12~EwingKATLMSI K8N Neo2 PlatinumAMD Athlon 64 3200+ 2.0 GHz2GB Corsair PC-3200 512x4 Dual Channel CL2.5 DDR DIMM eVGA nVIDIA GeForce 6800 GT 256MB DDR3Sound Blaster Audigy LSOCZ Powerstream 420WWinXPPro (SP1)