Sign in to follow this  
steve310002

What will you do to mark 40 years of Microsoft Flight Sim?

That's right folks, the big day is almost upon us (or with you already in Oceania). 40 years has past since our minds were blown for the first time, and normal life would never be the same again.

What will you be doing to mark the occasion? Perhaps, you might think of cracking open a bottle of fine wine and raise a toast to the original developers and all MSFS developers since? Or maybe, fly a few circuits around Meigs for old times sake?

Any fun ideas you might have, please share. Normally I cringe at such suggestions but this post is meant in both jest and also in a kind of weird, wacky and nerdy serious kind of way. 😆

• Like 8
  • Upvote 1

I might just raise my daily tot of whisky to Mr. Bruce Arthur Artwick. I shall then do a circuit or two in all the new aircraft, and weigh up my initial impressions. 😉

• Like 9
  • Upvote 1

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

7 minutes ago, steve310002 said:

That's right folks, the big day is almost upon us (or with you already in Oceania). 40 years has past since our minds were blown for the first time, and normal life would never be the same again.

We have to wait for the 12th here in Oceania. I'm in NZ and I believe it releases @ 5am 12th Nov.

I just really want to do the missions mostly!

• Like 1

Crack open a beer and cry into it as I lament all the time I wasted on flight sim since I was 15 while I could have been doing something constructive instead.😭

Edited by FBW737
  • Like 10

I will push the update and then uninstall MFS.

This is the most honorable way of commemorating such a memorable day and anniversary

• Like 1

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Start with a quick round of C64 Ace where it all started for me, then the Beaver around some of the Misty Moorings old haunts, then a quick blast with the gliders, then a few hours working out bindings and muscle memory for the helicopters.  After the family stuff is all taken care of😩😅

• Like 2

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I remember running the very first version on my Tandy 1000, thinking to myself "What could be better?".

Fast forward to today and we have a breathtaking experience at our beckoning,.   I have purchased a Thrust-master TCA yoke and have already flown with it a few times to square away any hardware setup issues and I am good to go on a 747 flight in the Anniversary Release.

Looking forwards to it !

• Like 1

I9 12900K @5.2Ghz  64 GB DDR4, RTX 4090, Win 11 Pro, 15 TB on 5 SSD's

Someone beat me to Bruce A.  I flew MSFS BEFORE it was MSFS and was instead SubLogic Flight Simulator by Bruce Artwick. That’s how old I am 😎  And I can truly say I have flown every version since…and then some  

Here is a link to the Master’s Wordpress. You can recreate this flight if you don’t have one of your own!

EDIT:  Whoops!  Wrong Bruce, still a great flight.

https://bruceair.wordpress.com/tag/gtn-750/

-B

Edited by btacon
  • Like 2

I'm going to drop my PC out of an airplane 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Finally get to fly a high quality rendition of the Hughes H-4 (Spruce Goose) I've wanted to do that since I was a kid and I got FS98 back in 1997 or so... As a kid I loved the movie Yogi Bear and the Spruce Goose,so naturally I wanted to fly it in the simulator... It only took 25 years to get a good Hughes H-4

• Like 1

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

SU10 was phenomenal and I can't imagine SU11 will surpass it but from all accounts it will.

Great time to be an MSFS'er.

Thanks once again MS / ASOBO.  Merry XMAS to you and yours.

sp

19 minutes ago, Sky_Pilot071 said:

SU10 was phenomenal and I can't imagine SU11 will surpass it but from all accounts it will.

Great time to be an MSFS'er.

Thanks once again MS / ASOBO.  Merry XMAS to you and yours.

sp

How do you know there are performance benefits in SU11? I haven't seen anyone say that, can you point me in the right direction Im not onthe BETA. 

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom