Sign in to follow this  
cianpars

Same mistakes every update

Whilst I have been guilty of one or more of these in the past (shamefully some more than once), it's always worth reminding of the basics again:

1. Rename your community folder;

2. Delete your rolling cache;

3. Following the update, download any updates from the store.

Depending on whether you use the Store or Steam versions, you may need to reboot your system before the update becomes available. 

Wishing you all a good update process and hoping that you enjoy all of the new content.

Only 6 hours to wait 🙂

• Like 3

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

5 minutes ago, cianpars said:

Whilst I have been guilty of one or more of these in the past (shamefully some more than once), it's always worth reminding of the basics again:

1. Rename your community folder;

No. Absolutely not necessary. Don't touch the community folder. 

• Like 8

And wear your lucky pyjamas. 

• Like 3

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

I disagree with the community folder advice.  Just leave it and only investigate it if you have problems.  The rest of the advice is good and common sense.

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

Yeah, when I've forgotten to rename the community folder, I have not personally had any issues, but MS do advise doing this.

I find it useful to run msfs once after an update with no addons, just to ensure everything is working OK before restoring the community folder.

Ryzen 5800X3D, Nvidia 3080 - 32 Gig DDR4 RAM, 1TB & 2 TB NVME drives - Windows 11 64 bit MSFS 2020 Premium Deluxe Edition Resolution 2560 x 1440 (32 inch curved monitor)

Just disable all your add-ons with linker, that just leaves PMDG and probably FSLTL in the community folder for me.
I don't rename it though.

Woo hoo, 5.5 more hours until we all crash the servers 😜

AMD 5800x | Nvidia 3080 (12gb) | 64gb ram

3 minutes ago, Alpine Scenery said:

Just disable all your add-ons with linker, that just leaves PMDG and probably FSLTL in the community folder for me.
I don't rename it though.

Woo hoo, 5.5 more hours until we all crash the servers 😜

PMDG, FSLTL, Navigraph stuffs, FBW thingies.....

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

5 minutes ago, yanfeng12342000 said:

Any reason why rename the community folder?

Irrational fear mostly. 

• Like 3

i9-12900K - Maximus Z690 Hero - Asus Strix 3090 - 32GB DDR5 - 1200W HX - H150i ELITE LCD - 980 Pro / Firecuda 530 - HOTAS Warthog

Don't know. All i ever did was hit the "update now" button. Never had any Sim deleted, Computer wrecked, or flooded cellar.

• Like 2

Intel i9-13900K | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Master | RTX4090 | 2x16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR5-6000 | Be quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX AiO | Win 11

I've never moved or renamed the Community folder before an update, though there's no harm in it if you want to. The lucky pyjamas is a must, however.

• Like 2

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

4 minutes ago, ThomseN_inc said:

Don't know. All i ever did was hit the "update now" button. Never had any Sim deleted, Computer wrecked, or flooded cellar.

Well, updates have come with some peril for me.  My wife threatened to leave me once.  I had to promise to take her out the following weekend! :unsure:

• Like 1

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I'm over here just updating, without doing a song and a dance, always just works... Always seems like people just need to make a process of everything. 

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

Just now, bobcat999 said:

Well, my wife nearly left me once.  I had to promise to take her out the following weekend! :unsure:

If she nearly left you for someone who did rename their community folder then it might be relevant. 

• Like 5

Just now, St Mawgan said:

If she nearly left you for someone who did rename their community folder then it might be relevant. 

:laugh:   Yes, I think it was the next door neighbour.  He has the Honeycomb yoke as well... She told me!  

• Like 1