abrams_tank

iniBuilds A310 first impressions

I have noticed that, often, I have to drop out of PROFILE mode and do a FL CH to get it where it should be on descent.  And then sometimes I can re-enter PROFILE mode and it picks right up again, once I've corrected altitude and speed.   I think that's neat, and I don't think it's necessarily a bug with this aircraft.   We're used to a lot of modern vnav precision I think.

@Maxis not sure I fully understand your post, but if the overhead hydraulic panel is showing a fault (light on) then something isn't switched on that should be.  If it's showing no fault then I'm not sure...maybe check the EFB and see if anything is noted in there.

Rhett

i7-8700k @ 5.0 ghz, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ, 3080Ti, 32" BenQ, 4K res

5 minutes ago, Mace said:

I have noticed that, often, I have to drop out of PROFILE mode and do a FL CH to get it where it should be on descent.  And then sometimes I can re-enter PROFILE mode and it picks right up again, once I've corrected altitude and speed.   I think that's neat, and I don't think it's necessarily a bug with this aircraft.   We're used to a lot of modern vnav precision I think.

@Maxis not sure I fully understand your post, but if the overhead hydraulic panel is showing a fault (light on) then something isn't switched on that should be.  If it's showing no fault then I'm not sure...maybe check the EFB and see if anything is noted in there.

Its showing a fault but there is no corresponding button that i may have missed because from my understanding the upper panel buttons should not have any lights illuminated when in normal config and all the appropriate pumps appear on the panel to be working.....Which is why im suspecting its something else procedure wise since these things happened twice post engine startup. but i will try this flight again tonight again and see if i actually make it to Miami. 

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Viotek 3440x1440p Freesync / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

2 minutes ago, Maxis said:

Its showing a fault but there is no corresponding button that i may have missed because from my understanding the upper panel buttons should not have any lights illuminated when in normal config and all the appropriate pumps appear on the panel to be working.....Which is why im suspecting its something else procedure wise since these things happened twice post engine startup. but i will try this flight again tonight again and see if i actually make it to Miami. 

Are you starting cold and dark at the gate?  And are you connecting external power there?  And then, at some point (after programming the FMS etc.) are you starting the APU?

I could see a problem if you are on EXT PWR and then disconnect EXT PWR and push back without the APU power on, i.e. a battery start.  The hydraulics could shut down to allow enough power to run the starters.  I've never done that, I'm just throwing it out there, I don't even know if it's possible to do a battery start (apu off) with this airplane on the ground.

Rhett

i7-8700k @ 5.0 ghz, 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ, 3080Ti, 32" BenQ, 4K res

13 minutes ago, Mace said:

Are you starting cold and dark at the gate?  And are you connecting external power there?  And then, at some point (after programming the FMS etc.) are you starting the APU?

I could see a problem if you are on EXT PWR and then disconnect EXT PWR and push back without the APU power on, i.e. a battery start.  The hydraulics could shut down to allow enough power to run the starters.  I've never done that, I'm just throwing it out there, I don't even know if it's possible to do a battery start (apu off) with this airplane on the ground.

Close but no dice .. You need bleed so i dont think you can start without something offering bleed and my engine starts on the ground have always been apu based.

Cold Dark .. with ground power with all the nav setup you mentioned ... then APU startup  .. then Close up the doors and then turn on the beacon and start up the pushback and startup procedures. The frustrating part is that the error doesn't show until after engine startup as it probably should since everything gets pressurized then but word not allowed .. all that prep work and going nowhere.

Edited by Maxis

AMD Ryzen 5900X / Asus Strix B550 F Gaming Wifi / Powercolor AMD 6800XT Red Devil / 32GB Gskill Trident Neo DDR4 3600 / 2x ADATA XPG 8200pro NVME / Arctic Liquid Freezer II 280 / EVGA Supernova 750 GT PSU / Lian Li Lancool II Mesh Performance /

Viotek 3440x1440p Freesync / Schiit Bifrost DAC+ Schiit Asgard AMP /  Sennheiser HD 558 / Thrustmaster T.16000M + TFRP Rudders

4 hours ago, B777ER said:

Got to thinking of which heavy iron to get started on once I’m done with my exclusive GA flying. Was thinking it was going to be Fenix as I spent the last year in P3D exclusively with FSL. But now I’m thinking this A310 (in the awesome new Delta livery I picked up at Flightsim.to) may be the ticket. It reminds me of the size and range of the Level-D 763 we all loved so much back in FSX days. 

It could sort of make sense to start with this one with its mix of old and new technology from the early 1980's. Then progress onto the Fenix from there. I've done it the other way around. I started in the Flybywire A320NX, then the Fenix and then this one. Doing it this way has definitely been a challenge as I've gotten so used to the flybywire technology (there's none in the A310) and the very modern and automated systems on the A320. 

If you decide to go for it I highly recommend the tutorial series by iniBuild - they really brought me up to speed on this one! I would have been quite helpless without them in fact. 

I really like this AA livery from the iniManager with it's shiny metallic look:

DZO5kMT.jpg

And by the way I did fly the 767-300 in FSX. A lot actually. I think it was the first airliner that I really got into depth with in a sim. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | WD Black SN850 2TB | LG 77" OLED | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals |

“Intensify the forward batteries. I don’t want anything to get through”

https://www.youtube.com/@captainpiett765

5 hours ago, Mace said:

The same here - I'm gradually getting used to not expecting 100% VNAV (or is it managed descent?) accuracy. The arc on the ND (again, not sure of the Airbus terminology) which indicates where the aircraft will level off is very useful. But I find myself using mostly LVL/CH then fine-tune using V/S. 

And I'm a bit exhilarated at the moment as I finally was able to nail down the RNAV approach in PROF mode. Wow that took a lot of attempts and a lot of practice. The trick was to slow down very early, be fully configured with gear down and landing flaps before FAP as well as select “FINAL 3.00” on the TO/APPR page in the MCDU. This last step is vital for "arming" the final approach mode. Clicking on the line select key (again, I'm probably mixing Airbus and Boeing terminology) next to "FINAL X.XX" will change it to "VDEV=X". MDA has to be entered before doing this though. 

As per the iniBuild's tutorials, the aircraft can fly different types of non-precision approaches, including VOR approaches either in "raw" VOR mode or an RNAV overlay mode. Common to all these approaches is the above procedure - fully configured before FAP. Also the autothrust logic is different than ILS approaches as autothrottle has to be deactivated on final approach. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a key bind for A/T off in MSFS. 

iSSc8aU.jpg
faNhMsV.gif

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 2

i9-12900KF @ 5.1GHz | MSI Trio Gaming X RTX4090 | G.Skill Trident Z5 32GB DDR5 | MSI MPG Z690 Carbon EK X | WD Black SN850 2TB | LG 77" OLED | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals |

11 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

Also the autothrust logic is different than ILS approaches as autothrottle has to be deactivated on final approach. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a key bind for A/T off in MSFS. 

Where did you read this? I have flown several RNAV in PROF in XP11 with ATHR and AP engaged (but take them off right before MDA). The ATHR will hold Vapp in an NPA while in PROF mode (speed window is dashed)

Edited by SAS443

EASA PPL SEPL + NQ , EFIS, Variable Pitch Prop / B23 / PA28 / C172S pilot
i9 9900K  | ASUS ROG Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC | 32 GB Corsair DDR4 RAM |
MSFS | X-Plane 12 | P3D v5

18 hours ago, Maxis said:

So I've got a running issue with hydraulics two days in a row. Hopefully someone can identify the potential culprit because while i know for a fact that my former hometown airline had these running tech tech issues with its A310s i wasn't expecting them to happen to me virtually as well with the flight getting completely cancelled.. (It feels almost too real having to disembark cause these A310's loved to go tech)

I also had these hydraulic problems while I did everything like before where it all worked. I thought it had something to do with failure settings. I switched the 'Engine stress causes damage' or something like that off and it never happened again.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

. Also the autothrust logic is different than ILS approaches as autothrottle has to be deactivated on final approach.

Why? Why not just dial in vref + 5 in the speed window and let AT handle vapp and vref?

1 hour ago, Ricardo41 said:

Why? Why not just dial in vref + 5 in the speed window and let AT handle vapp and vref?

Pitch-power coupling? Unlike the newer buses, the A310 does not have FBW and can´t compensate for this behavior.

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X @ 4.2 GHz (summer)/4.5 GHz (winter), 2x8 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (yeah, G-Sync compatible), Windows 10 Pro. Runing P3D 5.3 and MSFS2020 there.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... on just battery! ASUS TUF FX504GD now for sale (thanks for your service!).

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

5 hours ago, SAS443 said:

Where did you read this? I have flown several RNAV in PROF in XP11 with ATHR and AP engaged (but take them off right before MDA). The ATHR will hold Vapp in an NPA while in PROF mode (speed window is dashed)

I think what I meant was that ATHR has to be disconnected for landing on non-precision approaches. I did have it active for most of the approach though, and like you said it did hold Vapp while in PROF mode.

I got it from iniBuild's approach tutorial which I've been following religiously. Here's the timestamped link to the ATHR advice: https://youtu.be/4RkK6KNEnq0?t=615.

3 hours ago, Ricardo41 said:

This is what I've been doing. Looking at my post I can see it was confusing though. 

Edited by Cpt_Piett
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Cpt_Piett said:

. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a key bind for A/T off in MSFS. 

have yoy find it?

Autopilot 

Autothrottle Disconnect

works with A310

58 minutes ago, westman said:

have yoy find it?

Autopilot 

Autothrottle Disconnect

works with A310

Looking in the controls options right now, under autopilot, I can only see "auto throttle to GA" and "arm auto throttle". 

Wait - I found it! Thanks for you help! 🙂

On 11/22/2022 at 5:35 PM, Cpt_Piett said:

The same here - I'm gradually getting used to not expecting 100% VNAV (or is it managed descent?) accuracy. The arc on the ND (again, not sure of the Airbus terminology) which indicates where the aircraft will level off is very useful. But I find myself using mostly LVL/CH then fine-tune using V/S. 

And I'm a bit exhilarated at the moment as I finally was able to nail down the RNAV approach in PROF mode. Wow that took a lot of attempts and a lot of practice. The trick was to slow down very early, be fully configured with gear down and landing flaps before FAP as well as select “FINAL 3.00” on the TO/APPR page in the MCDU. This last step is vital for "arming" the final approach mode. Clicking on the line select key (again, I'm probably mixing Airbus and Boeing terminology) next to "FINAL X.XX" will change it to "VDEV=X". MDA has to be entered before doing this though. 

As per the iniBuild's tutorials, the aircraft can fly different types of non-precision approaches, including VOR approaches either in "raw" VOR mode or an RNAV overlay mode. Common to all these approaches is the above procedure - fully configured before FAP. Also the autothrust logic is different than ILS approaches as autothrottle has to be deactivated on final approach. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find a key bind for A/T off in MSFS. 

iSSc8aU.jpg
faNhMsV.gif

I am having a blast in the A310, Performance seems on par with the Fenix, Consistent 50fps @ 50Mhz refresh rate. 

I have completed a few ILS approaches now (Currently enroute to LEIB from EGCN) Will have to try an RNAV in the very near future for sure 

• Like 1

Richard

i7-12700K | Noctua NH-D15S Black Version | MSI Pro Z690 - A | 32 GB DDR4 3600 | EVGA FTW3 3090 | 1TB WD Blue NMVe (MSFS 2020) | 500 GB WD Black Gen 4 NVMe | 4TB WD Black Conventional | Fractal Design Torrent Case | Seasonic 1000W Gold Plus PSU | Honeycomb Yoke & Throttle | Airbus Side Stick | Virpil Rudder Pedals | TCL 43" 4K TV |

Sometimes the A310 will refuse to follow the glide scope. I have approach armed, AP1 & 2 enabled, it will intercept the glidescope, but then keep on going at the same altitude. G/S will stay as blue on the display.

Edited by Tuskin38