Sign in to follow this  
tf51d

Problem with ATC at KDFW?

Has anyone notice a problem approaching DFW with FSX ATC? This has happened the last 3 flights I flew into there. One from KBOS, KLAX and KMCO. All were flightplan flights created via FSBuild. ATC would clear me for a Runway, usually 17L and I would be cleared on step descents as usual down to about 10000, I would end up on a westerly vector usually 280 and then it basically forgets about me, eventually after flying out of range it cancels my IFR flightplan. This in itself is not unusual as I have gotten this before at other airports. (Usually the busier ones, I think FSX fills up a queue, and if your to far down on it, bye bye ATC!) What's different in this case though, is I turn back towards the airport, as I get closer and contact the tower (After weeding through the nearest airport list!) I request a full stop landing, which ATC grants, but on the opposite side runway 35R, so I think to myself, ok the wind must have changed, but then I notice all the AI aircraft is landing and being cleared by ATC to the 17 runways, as well as planes taking off! This has happened on the last 3 flights into DFW and the only ones I have flown cleared to the 17 runways. Has anyone else notice this at DFW?

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

Yes---that has happened to me a number of times, most recently at ATL. I thought it was me, but now I know it wasn't!! FSX just has soooo many problems.B. Scott

Guest Dave65

I have had this happen in FS9 as well.

I used to have this happen in FS9 coming into KHOU for the ILS 04 approach. If it seemed like they forgot me I would request another approach which got me back into the queue, and then I would request the original approach and from then on could do the approach and landing.Since getting FSX, have not had that problem. I thought it had been fixed, but probably is just improved.Phill

The main reason this "forgetting me" occurs is that you have so much AI that the ATC cannot keep up with all the calls until you pass outside the control sector.One option is to ask for a different approach, one which does not require vectors.Another is to lower the AI %.The "Head to Head" runway usage is new in FSX and a direct result of user requests to avoid the situation in FS2004.The problem is that once an aircraft is assigned to an approach/ runway - it will continue to landing/ takeoff.Your situation clearly shows that - with many AI aircraft in line to land on the 17/ 18 runways while your later runway assignment put you on the 35 / 36 runways.I'm sure we would all love to have the ATC capable of turning the entire airport at one time - breaking off the approaches of AI aircraft in the air, or in taxi on the ground - and assigning them to new runways.I'm also sure that none of us would want to pay the penalty in CPU performance hit of moving a couple hundred aircraft around to new runway usages.

Guest _MSW_

The best thing to do is purchase Radar Contact and never look back. FSX ATC is just as bad as FS9 was. I don't believe FSX ATC was even changed from FS9.Since using Radar Contact with FS9 and now with FSX, I have never used the flight simulator ATC.Mike

>The best thing to do is purchase Radar Contact and never look>back. FSX ATC is just as bad as FS9 was. I don't believe FSX>ATC was even changed from FS9.>>Since using Radar Contact with FS9 and now with FSX, I have>never used the flight simulator ATC.>>MikeYeah, I just broke down and bought RC! I held off mainly due to the lack of ground control, and I have AISmooth configured so I never have any issues with runway stacking anymore, so it worked pretty good for me, (except for the above). I haven't installed it yet, just finished the huge download!Thanks!

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

Guest Dave65

>The best thing to do is purchase Radar Contact and never look>back. FSX ATC is just as bad as FS9 was. I don't believe FSX>ATC was even changed from FS9.>>Since using Radar Contact with FS9 and now with FSX, I have>never used the flight simulator ATC.>>MikeWere can I get Radar Contact??Can't seem to find it at any of the online stores.

Guest _MSW_

I'm hoping that the new version (Version 5) they are working on will have some ground control. That would be icing on the cake for this ATC addon.Mike

>I'm hoping that the new version (Version 5) they are working>on will have some ground control. That would be icing on the>cake for this ATC addon.>>MikeSorry but JD already posted it probably won't! He says, it's too difficult to ensure he won't get into a head to head situation with other taxiing AI aircraft.

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!