Sign in to follow this  
lwt1971

Gliders, what do you think?

Thought I'd start a similar thread to the helicopters one :) ... I won't be able to try SU11 until next week and am excited to get into and learn more about gliders and helis. Would love to hear from all the IRL/sim glider experts out there on the two gliders DG-1001E &  LSB-18 in the 40th anniv edition.. flight dynamics, thermals & atmospheric airflow interaction, tow/winch features, visuals/audio, etc?

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 1

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS
Current system: i9 13900K, RTX 4090, 64GB DDR5 4800 RAM, 4TB NVMe SSD

Stupid question how the heck do I get going!!?  Throttle up?  Hold I don't have any engines.  How do initiate the pull to takeoff???

Thomas Derbyshire

Per https://fselite.net/content/exclusive-hands-on-microsoft-flight-simulator-40th-anniversary-edition/

Once you’ve picked what glider to fly, you can then also select how you wish to get airborne. In addition to using an AI-controlled Cessna 172 to take you to the skies there are also three different winch systems that will propel you. Regardless of your option, you always have to start by moving your rudder to let the sim know you’re ready to go. To assist with keeping the glider straight during the initial movement, a 3D animated character (known during the event as Jimmy) will run alongside you until he can keep up no more. It’s a nice touch that those who have used a glider before will surely appreciate.

In the air, I released the cable and flew around following the sound of the Audio Variometer, which was essential in order to stay in the air and maintain speed. Actively seeking out the thermals is best done on a warm, sunny day. To assist, a new option in the weather menu will allow you to visually see thermals, giving you the best chance to enjoy your glider flight. After some trial and error, I was confident in my ability.

This is the first iteration of what gliders will become in the future. The implementation here is already a great base, but there’s more to come in the future. I asked Martial Bossard, Executive Producer, if in the future the tow-plane can be manually controlled, to which he said “yes, in the future.” This would open up really cool possibilities in the future and make for some cool multiplayer experiences. You can also use the forests and terrain to help give you that much-needed momentum. Even in my short time, gliding was really fun and it’s going to give me a totally different take on discovering some of the more scenic areas of the world.

Note, in order to turn on the full visualizations of the atmospheric airflow, select Options -> Debug Weather and then enable the visualization related checkboxes (of course this applies to any aircraft not just gliders)

spacer.png

Edited by lwt1971
  • Like 2

Len
1980s: Sublogic FS II on C64 ---> 1990s: Flight Unlimited I/II, MSFS 95/98 ---> 2000s/2010s: FS/X, P3D, XP ---> 2020+: MSFS

5 minutes ago, Bushido5 said:

Use your rudder left right a few time to tell the tow aircraft to take off.

Nothing happening......im in the training activity now.  It says rudder left and right, nothing.  My rudder pedals are working, I can see the rudder pedals in the VC moving but nothing happening, am I being thick here or what?

• Upvote 1

Thomas Derbyshire

27 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Nothing happening......im in the training activity now.  It says rudder left and right, nothing.  My rudder pedals are working, I can see the rudder pedals in the VC moving but nothing happening, am I being thick here or what?

Having the same issue here.  I confirmed in the controls screen that my rudder axis is moving to full deflection.

Edited by regis9
  • Upvote 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

Unable to launch.  Like others have posted.  Nothing happens.  

KBJC 

AMD 3900 / RTX 2060 Pro

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Len

Very cool. Loving it!

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D, 64GB DDR5 6000MHZ RAM, RTX 2080Super 

I'll give it a go later with the Tow and fly without the visual and just look for the ques for lift I'd look for in real life and see how I do and if everything is as I'd expect it to be or not. I haven't ever flown a real LSB-18 or DG100 and I haven't flow any real glider in about 5 years but well I do have an FAI Silver so my opinion should count for something? 🤪

• Like 1

Complete glider noob here, what's all the beeping for in the cockpit (kind of annoying) linked to VS???

Thomas Derbyshire

28 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Complete glider noob here, what's all the beeping for in the cockpit (kind of annoying) linked to VS???

It's the variometer. Basically indicates whether you are in sinking or rising air. You should be able to turn the volume down or set it to only indicate lift. But one way or another its part and parcel of flying sailplanes. Some varios have a less annoying sound then others.

Edited by FBW737