Sign in to follow this  
Waldo Pepper

Working Title Garmin GNS 530 / GNS 430 now available in MSFS

Does this item work with any AC using the GNS systems?

Regards,

Pivot

i9-10900k * 64Gb Ram * MSI RTX 4070 Ti Gaming X Trio * Steel Series Arctis Pro Wireless Headset * Win11 Home x64 * Oculus Rift-S * Tobii ET 5 * TM Warthog Combo, Honeycomb Alpha & Saitek Pro-Rudders

1 hour ago, Pivot said:

Does this item work with any AC using the GNS systems?

Yup..

• Like 1

Bert

If anyone installs this and also have the PMS GTN 750 they should be aware of this, posted by the PMS50 dev:

if you have an aircraft that can switch from GNS530 and GTN750 from the cockpit and installed the WT GNS530, you may have an unresponsive GTN750. This is an issue at the WT GNS530 level that has been reported.
A workaround consists of changing the gauge orders in the panel.cfg: the GTN750 must be before the GNS530. Do that only if you are sure of what you are doing.
This is because WT has declared the GNS530 as a touchscreen instrument. They did that because of the keyboard input for waypoints. We sent them the technical solution that fixed the issue. Hope this will be in the next WT GNS530 release.

Guess I'll keep the PMS50 GNS530 version until WT fixes this.

Edited by Alvega

Alvega

CPU: AMD 7800X3D | COOLER: Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240L Core ARGB | GPU: RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB OC | Mobo: ASUS TUF GAMING X670E-PLUS WIFI |
RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6000MHz PC5-48000 2x16GB CL36 | SSDs: WD Black SN770 2TB NVMe SSD (WIN11), WD Black SN850X SSD 2 TB M.2 2280 PCIe Gen4 NVMe (MSFS), Crucial MX500 2TB (Other stuff) | CASE: Forgeon Arcanite ARGB Mesh Tower ATX White | Power Supply: Forgeon Bolt PSU 850W 80+ Gold Full Modular White 

I guess this issue does not affect the TDS GTN 750 version then, only the PMS one?

GregH

Intel Core i7 14700K / Palit RTX4070Ti Super OC / Corsair 32GB DDR5 6000 MHz / MSI Z790 M/board / Corsair NVMe 9500 read, 8500 write / Corsair PSU1200W / CH Products Yoke, Pedals & Quad; Airbus Side Stick, Airbus Quadrant / TrackIR, 32” 4K 144hz 1ms Monitor

I can confirm this impacts the PMS GTN 750. Can’t click some options. 

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | RTX 4090 | 48GB DDR5 7200 RAM | 4TB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair H150i Liquid Cooled | 4K Dell G3223Q G-Sync | Win11 x64 Pro

Unfortunately the information posted by the PMS dev is not correct. This is not an issue in the GNS end, but on the sim end.

Both the PMS and the GNS register themselves as clickable instruments (the GNS does so so you can use the keyboard input mode). This should not cause any issues, however, if appears there is a sim-side bug that causes an instrument to still receive clicks even if it's mode in the model is hidden. This only affects aircraft with switchable panels.

We will be investigating the solution given to us by PMS: unfortunately it involves a bit of a hack that calls the sim event telling it the instrument has been loaded (which causes it to re-check the "should I be clickable" flag). However, this event is definitely not at all intended to be used in this manner when the instrument is already loaded, so may not be safe. The C++ side does a great deal when this event is called.

We've let aircraft developers know that while the switchable panel solution is convenient and clever, the sim was not really designed to be used in that way and there are some pretty significant problems that come with it. Instruments are only getting more complex, even these (the GNS is a hugely complex instrument on the code side) and so having switchable panels is a lot like having an airplane where you can switch between a 737 and an A320 panel in midair, and then somehow expecting all the state to transfer between them, despite the fact that they have a lot of totally unmappable concepts and data between the two. The solution implemented by (edit: previous said Milviz here, sorry!) FSW on thier aircraft is ultimately the right one at this time: separate variants for each panel.

We understand this is a bit painful from a livery end, though, so there is no perfect answer. As always, we are investigating all the possible solutions in a wholesale way, and trying to avoid hacks where possible as they can be brittle.

Edited by MattNischan
  • Like 8

20 minutes ago, MattNischan said:

Unfortunately the information posted by  The solution implemented by Milviz on thier aircraft is ultimately the right one at this time: separate variants for each panel.

Do you mean FSW with their C414?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

39 minutes ago, ryanbatc said:

Do you mean FSW with their C414?

Ah yes, sorry, that's correct! I've been in so many different addons every day the past few weeks they're starting to blend together. Hazards of making a hobby your day job 😅

So considering that the developers using switchable panels (Carenado, Justflight, Milviz/Blackbird, etc.) are not exactly renowned for the timeliness of their patches; are there any user edits we can make to permanently assign either a GTN or GNS to a particular aircraft (i.e. disable the hot-switching capability)?  I'm interested in trying out the new GNS units; but I also prefer to have the GTN in certain airplanes.

Edited by MadDog

19 minutes ago, MadDog said:

So considering that the developers using switchable panels (Carenado, Justflight, Milviz/Blackbird, etc.) are not exactly renowned for the timeliness of their patches; are there any user edits we can make to permanently assign either a GTN or GNS to a particular aircraft (i.e. disable the hot-switching capability)?  I'm interested in trying out the new GNS units; but I also prefer to have the GTN in certain airplanes.

Sure, disable any lines in the panel.cfg file that refer to the other GPS.

Bert

does anybody know which one is the most feature rich, the PMS or WT versions, assuming need to remove whatever one you don't want to use so they don't clash, thanks

Wayne

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

48 minutes ago, Jetman67 said:

does anybody know which one is the most feature rich, the PMS or WT versions, assuming need to remove whatever one you don't want to use so they don't clash, thanks

Wayne

The WT version most definitely.  I find that the PMS version will override the WT version if both are installed.. however, better to have only one version active, for sure.

Be aware that it is early going with the WT version, and the PMS GNS has been stable for quite a while.. so be prepared to fall back to it  (as I have..)

Bert

It's great we've got the guys at Working Title making progress on this stuff. I'm really excited to see what they do with the G3000/5000 update that they're apparently working on. Should be pretty spectacular if it's anything like the other work they've done. Again, THANK YOU, to the WT team!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bert Pieke said:

The WT version most definitely.  I find that the PMS version will override the WT version if both are installed.. however, better to have only one version active, for sure.

Be aware that it is early going with the WT version, and the PMS GNS has been stable for quite a while.. so be prepared to fall back to it  (as I have..)

thanks

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K