Sign in to follow this  
scott967

FSX Install suggestions please.

I found a good price for FSX Deluxe on eBay ($32), so I took the plunge and am going to check it out.But....I plan on using FS9 for quite some time too. So, my question is, what is the safest way to install X and 9 on the same machine?I have FS9 on a separate partition, and could put FSX on another.I've heard some rare stories of FSX hijacking some FS9 .cfg files, and 'what not', and don't want X interfering with my FS9 install in any way.Still using XP.Thanks in advance.

There is no need to use separate partitions or worry about having both programs installed at once. They are separate and independent programs.

Thanks, I understand they are separate programs.So, the problems I have read prior are very rare occurances, or perhaps a 'local' issue?

I hate to ask an unpleasant question, but...is this eBay copy from a vendor or a private individual? Is it factory-sealed or open?I ask this because I wonder if this is someone's private copy that they already installed (and activated) on their system, then copied the DVDs for their personal use and sold the original. If this is the case, I don't know what might happen if you try to activate your copy, and it turns out that key has already been used for one (or more!) previous installs.

James David Walley

Ryzen 7 7700X, 32 GB, RTX 3080

The mention of having the original product DVD's are a very good point indeed. As far as the strange things happening with FSX and FS9 on the same machine. This could be an issue if you for example, uninstall FSX for some reason. ( In my case )I have had FS9 installed on my C drive for over two years since the last reinstall. When FSX came out, I installed it on another HD. Well that drive went south on me. When I got around to doing a fresh install of FSX upon the release of SP1, I wanted to start with a clean slate. Even though it was installed on a different HD, there are still entries that get placed on the C drive no matter what. I still chose to uninstall FSX for this reason, even though it really was on the drive that didn't exsist anymore. What it did was mess up my FS9 registry entry. I used the utility repair tool available on Flight1's website, and all seems fine now. This was the only thing I noticed that it caused, so other than that, you should be OK. Of course, as I'm sure you already know, everyones computer, even if a carbon copy of another can do different things from time to time, so some of the other things you may have read about are possible, but unlikely. I hope this helps. :)

Just install it lol....I got both my FSX and FS9 on the same partition, same physical drive..

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Believe me, I'm aware. It is said to be a new unopened copy from a company who sells software via eBay. If not, I return it as it has a 30 day warranty, and if necessary get a refund via PayPal.I've only had to do that once, but it worked. PayPal is pretty good protection.

Jeff, thanks for the informative response. That is the type of info I was hoping to receive.I just reinstalled FS9 on my new computer...again...this past winter, so I really don't want to to have to do it again with all the add-ons I have, (and even though I back my current 'critical' folders), along with a zipped copy of a fresh FS9 install.You can never be too safe.Thanks Again.

I installed FSX after FS9, and saw no areas of overlap. I haven't tried a reinstall of FS9, but don't see any reason why it would conflict.scott s..