Sign in to follow this  
AviatorMan

DC-3 impressions?

Haven't seen much discussion on this. So far I have checked out the cockpit and notice that most switches and controls seem functional. Tried one flight, but had trouble setting the cockpit view so that I could both see the instruments and see out the windshield. Any observations on systems depth etc?

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

38 minutes ago, AviatorMan said:

Haven't seen much discussion on this. So far I have checked out the cockpit and notice that most switches and controls seem functional. Tried one flight, but had trouble setting the cockpit view so that I could both see the instruments and see out the windshield. Any observations on systems depth etc?

I watched TwoToneMurphy go through the start-up procedure last night, and it seemed quite authentic.  (Worth a watch on YouTube, alongside AvAngel in the Beaver).

I believe a 'basic' model is installed with the anniversary edition, but if you download the enhanced version for free from the marketplace, like I did, apparently there are some problems with the flight model.  I pranged it about 15 seconds after take-off.  :unsure:  You can fly it, but it is unpredictable.  Apparently they know about it.

EDIT: Good old CptMoustache has fixed it up!  :smile:  As AH / MS / Asobo might take some time to get it in the content manager, as we know.

https://flightsim.to/file/43826/ccm-s-dc-3-flight-model-mod

A nice Beaver mod is out there as well.

https://flightsim.to/file/43824/dhc-2-improvement-mod-bush-mod

• Like 5

Call me Bob or Rob, I don't mind, but I prefer Rob.

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

9 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

:unsure:  You can fly it, but it is unpredictable.  Apparently they know about it.

Apparently, unpredictable for simmers. Accurate for the real aircraft.

From the developer of the flight model:

MSFS - DC-3 Flight Model - YouTube

Gotta fly it the way it was meant to be flown.

Edited by hs118
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, hs118 said:

Apparently, unpredictable for simmers. Accurate for the real aircraft.

From the developer of the flight model:

MSFS - DC-3 Flight Model - YouTube

https://flightsim.to/file/43826/ccm-s-dc-3-flight-model-mod

OK.  Above mod not needed for everyone then, but I will be using it anyway.  :smile:  I don't have time to watch the 1 hour video, but does it cover these issues?

I read a few comments, and fuel burn is wildly out and correct by the mod, so is the mad pitch up on take-off.

I wonder what Carl thinks of this.  @cavaricooper  Has anyone heard from him lately?  He was looking forward to this DC-3.

EDIT:  The guy himself who did the flight model (from the YouTube video) has replied...

"For those looking for a fix for DC-3 takeoff characteristics, and you have the ability to edit the flight model config file, try this ground effect table, lift_coef_ground_effect_mach_table = 0.055642:1.141188, 0.102462:1.094058, 0.196717:1.057306, 0.298358:1.041890, 0.400821:1.030873, 0.501642:1.024918, 0.601642:1.019753, 0.701642:1.015583, 0.8:1.010383, 0.9:1.005553, 1:1

The problem was that there were many points missing in the curve and if the sim interpolates between extremes, then lift will be too high in the middle of the range. I just did a quick test flight and it made a big difference. I was even able to take some of the nose down trim out. Or, you can remove passengers from the last couple of rows of seats to move the CG forward. I don't think most flights operated at 100% capacity anyway."

@hs118 So it was a valid problem - It was obvious it was wild on take-off - don't write simmers off so easily!  :laugh:
  • Like 6
  • Upvote 1

I like to trick airline passengers into thinking I have my own swimming pool in my back yard by painting a large blue rectangle on my patio.

Intel 14900K in a Z790 motherboard with water cooling, RTX 4080, 32 GB 6000 CL30 DDR5 RAM, W11 and MSFS on Samsung 980 Pro NVME SSD's.  Core Isolation Off, Game Mode Off.

I've had a couple of quickies in the DC-3. I've been waiting for this ac for a while.

Initial impression was difficult to get given the distraction of server issues.

It looks the part overall but suffers some texture roughness on my PC. External camera default position is too far away IMO. Cockpit camera default position is very bad. Too high and too close, difficult to see the instruments at that angle. I guess they've done that so I can see the runway during taxi. (I understand this isn't possible in the real thing)

Starting on runway It's is a bit floaty on take off, needs some trim in default take-off mode. It cheese's me off if every time I fly it I have to faff around adjusting the camera and trim.......Please would they set the trim to optimum for default take off config. I am happy to adjust if I alter the payload or after take off because I'm clever😉

I tried the livery that has GPS and there seems to be a massive bug for me. Flying straight and level and the ac went into a steep climb, half looped to inverted and spun dived all with no input from me..........how a DC-3 can do a half loop to inverted from that starting position is beyond me and all without stressing the aircraft.

Braking on rollout seems gentle, The old DC-3 on FSX would faceplant if you so much as touched the brakes with the rear wheel still off the ground. Not so with this one.

Like the wind/drag sounds whith flaps, steep angle of attack and undercarriage. I will stick with it because of nostalgia, I'm sure it will grow on me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

Rob- I haven't had a chance to fly the old girl...a couple of projects are eating up my time atm.  Looking forward to spending time at Cox's Bazaar eventually.... Manfred Jahn's C-47 spoiled me- nothing else has come close- here's hoping that changes with this release.

Hope all is well and that you are enjoying your pool before winter really sets in 😉

C

• Upvote 1

Best-

Carl Avari-Cooper

2 minutes ago, cavaricooper said:

Rob- I haven't had a chance to fly the old girl...a couple of projects are eating up my time atm.  Looking forward to spending time at Cox's Bazaar eventually.... Manfred Jahn's C-47 spoiled me- nothing else has come close- here's hoping that changes with this release.

Hope all is well and that you are enjoying your pool before winter really sets in 😉

C

Hello Carl!  Great to hear from you.  I hope you are well and it seems like you are keeping yourself busy!  :smile:

Yes, I think the DC-3 is not too bad for a freebie.  Obviously I have no deep knowledge of how it should fly, but with the mod it seems better behaved.  Sounds are good. 
Just a little disappointed there is no float version for my pool!  :laugh:

I don't think we can expect anything to touch Manfred's model as you say.

12 minutes ago, GaryK said:

I tried the livery that has GPS and there seems to be a massive bug for me. Flying straight and level and the ac went into a steep climb, half looped to inverted and spun dived all with no input from me..........how a DC-3 can do a half loop to inverted from that starting position is beyond me and all without stressing the aircraft.

It's not you Gary.  I had exactly the same behaviour.  I edited my post further up so you might have missed it.

You can either get the fs.to mod (which corrects fuel burn and a few other things), or insert the flight model fix from the original author that I listed.
Not blaming the author by the way.  These things happen and it sounds like they were pushed for time as always. :smile:

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

don't write simmers off so easily!  :laugh:

LOL. this may be a case of confirmation bias. 

Simmers have been very wrong many other times. See Milviz T-38 and F4 series in P3d.

Glad you were able to make the DC-3 work for you.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hs118 said:

LOL. this may be a case of confirmation bias. 

Simmers have been very wrong many other times. See Milviz T-38 and F4 series in P3d.

Oh yes - I know - they certainly can be.   

One way or the other, either with the mod or the authors fix, all good now!  :smile:

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, bobcat999 said:

It's not you Gary.  I had exactly the same behaviour.  I edited my post further up so you might have missed it.

You can either get the fs.to mod (which corrects fuel burn and a few other things), or insert the flight model fix from the original author that I listed.
Not blaming the author by the way.  These things happen and it sounds like they were pushed for time as always. :smile:

Flew the old DC-3 on FSX (or was it earlier? long time ago) and then the excellent freeware one and loved it. I even won a Screenshot comp using it, Tongass Fjords was the prize🙂

I'm sure I will fly this one many times. It's a freebie.......what's not to like?

• Like 1

i7-4790k @ 4.4ghz for the moment. Asus z87-k mobo. GTX 1080, 32gb ram. couple of SSDs....Saitek X52

I have flown the DC3 on a quite a few flights and really like it. I find it is a nice aircraft to fly by hand, on take-off I don't use any flaps and turn the elevator trim wheel down a few clicks this stops the steep climb tendency on take-off. I also find the plane easier to control with the tail wheel unlocked on take-off and landing. I am using the classic version as I like using the sperry auto pilot.

Asus Maximus Hero X11, Intel i9 10850k, 32gb Corsair Dominator ram, 2tb Corsair mp510 ssd  m2, Gigybyte turbo RTX 3090

1 minute ago, Scimiter said:

I also find the plane easier to control with the tail wheel unlocked on take-off and landing. 

The real dc-3 manuals say locked tailwheel should be used because the tail efficiency only comes to live some good time after you advance the throttles, and it'll have to compensate for at least a bit of torque effect and specially for any x-winds...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The only issue I’ve had was that it seemed to float up off the runway at low speed while taking off…I’ll give that flight model fix a try.

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

8 minutes ago, regis9 said:

The only issue I’ve had was that it seemed to float up off the runway at low speed while taking off…I’ll give that flight model fix a try.

That's what I found too, but I think - think - the flight model modification might have rectified that. My main problem now is trying to keep it straight on the runway during the roll out, or when throttling back up to take-off again. It goes all over the place.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org