Sign in to follow this  
Forkboy2

Any reduced big city building textures (polygons)?

Hi,As an example here is the wonderful LDS 767 overflying Seattle. Now this is with UTX disabled, no auto gen, no traffic, water 1X, 2 meter textures, 38 meter mesh, fair weather and no fun. Frame rate went from 15 to 19 in the VC to 8.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/175456.jpgI am hoping there might be a substitute set for major cities that might allow me to actually fly near them. :) Or is there a way to just wipe out the skyscrapers altogether? I just cannot understand how ACES made a conscious decision to stuff Avogadro's number of polygons into major city buildings. Thank you in advance. Bob..

Hello"I am hoping there might be a substitute set for major cities that might allow me to actually fly near them. :)"There is, but they are all in FS9 :-)

Unfortunately I think you are right. The irritating part is I get the same FPS drop in the default Maule and the lack of any alternates is disappointing. Many have given up on FSX and will wait for DX10, better hardware, SP2,FSXI,rain,winning lottery ticket, and being hounded by Sports Illustrated swim suite models. :)Bob...

You know, I am having a hard time with FSX. On one hand, flying the C172 or similar around at low level with FSG mesh and the improved autogen and 1m textures is a huge leap over FS9.However, flying the LDS767 in FSX and then in FS9 leaves me feeling like FS9 is still the better option right now, especially when I get 14-19 FPS on finals in FSX with sliders about half way. With all the addon goodies and flawless weather provided by FE and AS6.5, 100% AI, detailed addon airports and all at 30+ FPS, FS9 still takes some beating. Of course, I would prefer to be able to do all this in the 'prettier' surroundings of FSX, but I may just have to wait 2 years or so!

Yes, without autogen. I only turn on autogen for GA flying.

that would be very nice to have a replacement set of textures for bigger cities. i think it would make quite a noticeable difference

I created some batch files many months ago that convert all the textures to lower resolution. I still have the BAT files, unfortunately I do not have the instructions anymore and I'm afraid to post publically without instructions. If anyone wants to take over that proejct let me know (mattfox at starstream dott net). I've basically shelved FSX until DX10 and I get faster machine so I'm not going to work on this anymore.Matt