Sign in to follow this  
Jude Bradley

X-Plane 12 beta 13 is released.

37 minutes ago, efis007 said:

requires too many floating point calculations

Is there such a thing as too many? I am quite curious about why this is happening. FP32 is FP32. Should be portable. Curious where did you read that it's floating point? The magenta means the values have gone out of range (inf or nan). The only thing I can conjure up is that they're actually using FP16 (which would be much faster). It looks like there were some transitions in how those values were being handled during those architecture years. Maybe this is NV's fault?

LR explicitly calls out Intel as not functional. I'm sure they expected 9xx to work, based on the spec sheets alone.

What we're probably seeing is LR had no reason to doubt that these cards would work and are doing what they can to "make it so", even for the very few. And like I said, the shaders are definitely still in flux.

If anything though, what I'm hearing from your statement is that the new photometric lighting engine is pushing new boundaries that will require people to upgrade their cards. Especially those still enjoying an 8 yr old GPU architecture. 

I also bet you'll be able to get your money back if your predictions (hopes?) come true. 

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

3 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

Curious where did you read that it's floating point?

Here: https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/forums/topic/271948-the-meaning-of-magenta-in-x-plane-12/

4 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

If anything though, what I'm hearing from your statement is that the new photometric lighting engine is pushing new boundaries that will require people to upgrade their cards.

XP12's photometric lighting is causing serious problems for nvidia 9xx owners.
If photometric lighting continues to generate the magenta bug, all users affected by this bug will be forced to buy other video cards.
And I underline an important aspect of the question: all these users will not have to change cards for framerate issues or anything else, but only to override a bug produced by XP12.
This thing doesn't make me happy. 🤔

29 minutes ago, blingthinger said:

I also bet you'll be able to get your money back if your predictions (hopes?) come true. 

No, I don't hope so.
I have been waiting for 2 months to try to fly with the new simulator.
Beta1.... beta... beta ... beta ...beta ... Beta13... nothing has changed.
It was all a waste of time, XP12 has too many bugs. 
In a year, when XP12 is improved and fixed, then maybe I will buy a new pc to fly with XP12.
Now I don't want to spend $400 on a video card or $2,000 on a pc.
Currently XP12 is not worth all this money compared to my excellent XP11.
😉

Creatore di * FS9 Supersky * ( plugin Atmo Ambient Environment ).
* XP11 atmoXphere * (
Atmo Ambient Environment plugin ) creatore.

-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
Pc intel i3-4160 3.6ghz, 8gb ram, (new) GeForce RTX-3060 12gb, Win10 Home 64bit
--------------- --------------------------------------------------------

33 minutes ago, efis007 said:

override a bug produced by XP12

Thanks for the link. I had forgotten about triplemon's post over there.

The thing that makes me question this statement is that I've never heard of anyone other than 9xx users having issues. That seems more like a hardware problem. For the vast vast majority of GPUs, the shaders are perfectly fine.

Either way though, fingers are crossed that it all works out.

Friendly reminder: WHITELIST AVSIM IN YOUR AD-BLOCKER. Especially if you're on a modern CPU that can run a flight simulator well. These web servers aren't free...

@ef6719 The last post by 'triplemon' clearly explains the reason behind this magenta bug. I am going to share the post here for others to see @blingthinger

" That magenta is a debugging **feature** deliberately made by and for the Laminar developers, only.
You see that because you're using a version of X-Plane made for debugging. Specifically made to show this magenta, that has NO options to turn it off.

So right now - you should at most take a screenshot and make a bug report with that screenshot.
If you want to see less of it, wait for future betas.
If you want it completely gone, wait for a version that is NOT made for debuging, but for general use. This will possibly be no sooner than the first release candidate or the officially released, final XP-Plane 12.00 version"

Edited by Baber20
  • Upvote 4

Baber

My Youtube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/HDOnlive

4 hours ago, UKflyer said:

not sure what they've done to the wind data but seems much more stable at higher levels

AIUI they have (or are still in the process of) moving all real world weather service "in house" onto their own servers.

Gives them a better degree of QC, and should also facilitate getting recreates on the remaining weather related bugs.

I still need to check if saved replays now properly dupe the weather, really hope that one is sorted soon.

• Like 1

AutoATC Developer

It did freeze and crash on me once I've turned off the taxiway after landing and surely still has its other quirks and issues, but it can't be overstated just how fine a flight simulator X-Plane 12 is.

(1440p, basically maximum rendering settings with the exception of 4 x  MSAA, 11 default AI aircraft, still very usable framerates)

spacer.png

• Like 1

7950X3D + 6900 XT + 64 GB + Linux | 4800H + RTX2060 + 32 GB + Linux
My add-ons from my FS9/FSX days

On 11/16/2022 at 12:38 PM, flying_carpet said:

Sounds good. I haven't downloaded it yet - could you estimate the increase in percent?

Can’t tell in percent. But I could increase rendering distance and cloud quality. Still have around 40fps like before.

NVIDIA 9XX are you kidding me? Why would you expect a 2022 sim run on 8 year old hardware?

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

On 11/16/2022 at 8:14 AM, efis007 said:

Yes, Beta13 on my pc.
This graphic mess is called "magenta bug", it is a bug that mainly affects Nvidia 9xx series cards and some ATI cards.
This bug was already in XP12 beta1, and today after 2 months it still hasn't been fixed.
In my opinion they will never fix it.

I saw it several times several Betas ago as of 6 I believe. Not since. I have an RX 580 8 gig. I keep my Radeon Adrenilin Drivers updated and I have auto OC set on GPU. I used to see it mostly in twilight lighting and overcast/rain. Haven't seen it since 7 but I have also been working with the suspect B58 suspension issue, trying to land without propstrike and loss of engines. The boys at KSEG are rolling their eyes by now and my aircraft insurance costs are virtually killing me. 🙂🙂🙂

• Upvote 1

My (now backup) 980ti can do mid gfx sliders at 20-30fps. Still enough vram to carry its weight. The fundamental chip architectures are the same across the 9xx family, so as long as there's enough vram on board... it will run. And with the recent betas perf keeps getting incrementally better.

Edited by blingthinger

8 hours ago, Colonel X said:

NVIDIA 9XX are you kidding me? Why would you expect a 2022 sim run on 8 year old hardware?

Maybe because Laminar engineers write it? 

https://www.x-plane.com/kb/x-plane-12-system-requirements/

spec.jpg

• Like 2

Creatore di * FS9 Supersky * ( plugin Atmo Ambient Environment ).
* XP11 atmoXphere * (
Atmo Ambient Environment plugin ) creatore.

-------------------------------------------------- ---------------------
Pc intel i3-4160 3.6ghz, 8gb ram, (new) GeForce RTX-3060 12gb, Win10 Home 64bit
--------------- --------------------------------------------------------

9 hours ago, Colonel X said:

I would imagine because Laminar Research said it would.

• Like 2

Intel i9-10900K @ 5.1Ghz,  Nvidia 2080ti 11Gb, 32Gb Ram, Samsung Odyssey G7 HDR 600 27inch Monitor 2560x1440, Windows 11 Home

Yeah I believe that is to be read as "the game will start" as opposed to "expect to have acceptable performance". Minimum system requirements have always been somewhat of a decoy, where it is clear the game will run really bad. That magenta bug is annoying yes, but I would rather have them edit the system requirements than wasting any time on trying to fix a bug for cards that should run X-Plane 10.

Edited by Colonel X
  • Like 5
  • Upvote 4

-

Belligerent X-Plane 12 enthusiast on Apple M1 Max 64GB

oh my, since when did the zibo have this amazing interior lighting?? I'm sure this wasn't there in previous betas

YQoRxEf.jpg

• Upvote 1