Sign in to follow this  
sidfadc

Cool scenery set for seaplane lovers

So I'm loving the DHC2 Beaver since the latest update.  I'm not sure how well known this scenery set is but I've just stumbled across it

Return to Misty Moorings - FS2020 Scenery

I've downloaded everything just booting up the sim now to test it out.  Its basically a load of seaplane bases and little airfields dotted around the Alaska region, looks really good.  It comes with very good documentation and looks like a labour of love for the author.  I'm going to fire up the beaver and report back.  There are more areas covered but this is what the coverage looks like in Little NavMap.

pic1.png

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Thomas Derbyshire

I never investigated Return to Misty Moorings myself so far, but it has a long history dating back to (at least?) FSX. And from all I read, "labour of love" should hit the mark.

Thanks for reminding.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Is there like... a single download link?  I got really confused on their site.

• Like 2

CPU: Core i5-6600K 4 core (3.5GHz) - overclock to 4.3 | RAM: (1066 MHz) 16GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170 Pro |  GeForce GTX 1070 8GB | MONITOR: 2560 X 1440 2K

Yep seems rooted in FSX and its been brought in MSFS.  I've just loaded it at "Misty Mooring" ICAO PF20 (not sure if this is real or ficticious) but I love what I see and this is only the first place I've loaded in.

Microsoft-Flight-Simulator-1-29-28-0-15-

• Like 3

Thomas Derbyshire

2 minutes ago, Mike S KPDX said:

Is there like... a single download link?  I got really confused on their site.

No you have download everything separately, was a bit of a pain but not too much trouble.  Download speeds were poor but some of the files are only few 100 KBs.  There are 4 prerequisite object libraries, biggest one was about 750MB.  Only took me about 15-20 mins grab everything.

Just go down the list from top to bottom - there are a ton of cabins as well (with smoke effects!) and lighthouses which I've not bothered with yet.  I just grabbed the airfields and SPBs.

Edited by sidfadc

Thomas Derbyshire

I flew in that area for years in P3D, or mayve FSX, I can't remember. Used to do multiplayer with other people that had that scenery. I had looked at it awhile back, in MSFS, but it seemed  to be pretty complicated to install it now. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

Before Return to Misty Moorings, there was Misty Moorings. RTMM was for FSX (any maybe other sims, but I flew  it in FSX).

I have no clue which sim MM was in, I'm guessing FS9 (FS2004).

• Like 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

7 minutes ago, Bobsk8 said:

I flew in that area for years in P3D, or mayve FSX, I can't remember. Used to do multiplayer with other people that had that scenery. I had looked at it awhile back, in MSFS, but it seemed  to be pretty complicated to install it now. 

Just a bunch of folders, dump them in community or what I did was create a RTMM folder, put all sceneries in one folder and used Addon Linker (so everything is contained) for future updates.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Thomas Derbyshire

2 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

Just a bunch of folders, dump them in community or what I did was create a RTMM folder, put all sceneries in one folder and used Addon Linker (so everything is contained) for future updates.

I remember we used to have a blast with the multiplayer in this area. About 5 of us would fly around and land at seaplane bases, cabins, and even on glaciers ....

• Like 2

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320,    Milviz C 310 ,  FSLTL  

TrackIR   Avliasoft EFB2    FSI Panel ,  ATC  by PF3  , A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS

RTMM is not compatible with Alaska Mesh (ORBX). Therefore if you want to use RTMM it is better to have bought Alaska Mesh at Orbx rather than marketplace (so you can use Addon Linker to quickly turn alaska mesh on and off).

• Upvote 1

Ryzen5 5800X3D, RTX4070, 600 Watt, TWO Dell S3222DGM 32" screens spanned with Nvidia surround 5185 x 1440p, 32 GB RAM, 4 TB  PCle 3 NVMe, Warthog throttle, CH Flightstick, Honeycomb Alpha yoke, CH quad, 3 Logitech panels, 2 StreamDecks, Desktop Aviator Trim Panel.

2 minutes ago, Fielder said:

RTMM is not compatible with Alaska Mesh (ORBX). Therefore if you want to use RTMM it is better to have bought Alaska Mesh at Orbx rather than marketplace (so you can use Addon Linker to quickly turn alaska mesh on and off).

Yea I saw that......and I have ORBX Alaska but I decided to just "give it a go" and see what I see.  It doesn't say what specifically is incompatible, I'm guessing it might be elevation issues and stuff but I'm going to leave ORBX Alaska installed until I run into issues and then decide if its worth the hassle disabling it.  Then again I can count on 1 hand how many times I have actually flown in Alaska with the ORBX scenery!

• Upvote 1

Thomas Derbyshire

22 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

No you have download everything separately, was a bit of a pain but not too much trouble.  Download speeds were poor but some of the files are only few 100 KBs.  There are 4 prerequisite object libraries, biggest one was about 750MB.  Only took me about 15-20 mins grab everything.

Just go down the list from top to bottom - there are a ton of cabins as well (with smoke effects!) and lighthouses which I've not bothered with yet.  I just grabbed the airfields and SPBs.

wrong, there is a single exe package that will auto install into proper folders. BTW, RTMM works great in P3D AND MSFS, probably XPLANE TOO. To get the best out of RTMM, you also need the old Tongass Fjiords which is now free. There is a learning curve for some of the installation. But, this is an amazing site, a real labor of love by those who created and used it. Scroll down and look for the installation options. Scroll down for the three express installations. For those who use MSFS, go to the RTMM main home page and click the MSFS2020 link. I do not know much about the procedures because I fly P3D V5.3. Good luck, join the forums to ask questions or post here and I or others who may know even more will try to help

Sherm

https://return.mistymoorings.com/s_install/index.php

16 minutes ago, sidfadc said:

I've just loaded it at "Misty Mooring" ICAO PF20 (not sure if this is real or fictitious)

A lot of these spots are real (or inspired by real places) but have fake identifiers so they show up in the airport menu.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

Loved this in FSX. Hoping it eventually gets a native MSFS version.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Yeah maybe the 'cabins' also have ICAO (LOL). There's  dozens of cabins. Anyway the cabins show up in Lil Nav Map as icons, so you can use them in LNM to make flight plans etc. And then follow magenta lines in the cockpit, or follow your current position path in Lil Nav Map.