Sign in to follow this  
Guest Redvan

Kirks F-16 in FSX

Guest Redvan

Does Kirk Olsson's F-16 work in FSX? How about the CO ANG repaint for it? cotiger.zip by Justin Lamb?EDIT: just downloaded fullf16pnl.zip for the gauges as kirk recommends, but where do I put all that? Or do I just copy and paste the panel_f16 folder and the gauges.zip that come in the fullf16pnl.zip to the gauges file in FSX?

Guest Redvan

>Does Kirk Olsson's F-16 work in FSX? How about the CO ANG>repaint for it? cotiger.zip by Justin Lamb?>>EDIT: just downloaded fullf16pnl.zip for the gauges as kirk>recommends, but where do I put all that? Or do I just copy>and paste the panel_f16 folder and the gauges.zip that come in>the fullf16pnl.zip to the gauges file in FSX? All I've done so far is put the files where they need to go from Kirk's origional model. I have not yet put in the fullf16pnl.zip files because there are no instructions as to what goes where... Also I got Bob Chicilo's FSX update for Kirk's F-16. Are the fullf16pnl.zip files still needed?I ran the F-16 to try it out, it gave me a warning asking if I'd like to allow viper_hud_adi.gau to run... I clicked no... what's it do?

Short answer is yes, but with one qualification:Extract from the Viper.txt in viperupx.zip which can be downloaded at FlightSim.com (I've checked, it's still there):"2D cockpit works fine/VC cockpit needs HUD symbology."You will need Kirk's original FS9 VIPER folder. Installation instructions come with the FSX compatibility update.Mike

Redvan, yes, the repaint will still work. The model has not been changed.Hi Mike,Thanks for the heads up on the fsx update. But I didn't understand the rest of what you were saying.Do you still need the fullf16pnl.zip file?Does it still need a HUD after the update?Does the HUD in fullf16pnl.zip work in FSX? (Redvan, why did you click no instead of yes? no harm in trying it out. If you crash, you can always delete the gauge.)Has anyone tried any of the other HUD available in the F16? I know there is one available for an F18 somewhere, and the VthMb for the ABC Crusader works in FSX (except you can't switch to a new plane or FSX will crash if the HUD is used in the Crusader).Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

I installed the version that was posted on AVSIM this week. The only problem I had was that I had NO sound at all? So, I removed it it as I was not sure how or why there was no sound.Jim

Sorry to got off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread just for one question. That question being if there is any news (or links, again) to that honking F-18 that's supposed to come out for FSX. The screens looked fantastic!

Guest jprintz

>Do you still need the fullf16pnl.zip file?>Does it still need a HUD after the update?>Does the HUD in fullf16pnl.zip work in FSX? (Redvan, why did>you click no instead of yes? no harm in trying it out. If you>crash, you can always delete the gauge.)>Has anyone tried any of the other HUD available in the F16? I>know there is one available for an F18 somewhere, and the>VthMb for the ABC Crusader works in FSX (except you can't>switch to a new plane or FSX will crash if the HUD is used in>the Crusader).>>ThomasHi Thomas. I'm working on a new F-16 HUD, much better than the one I released last year, and it's specifically for Kirk's F-16. It works in both the 2D panel and the virtual cockpit (see somewhat blurry screenshot, attached). It's also in higher resolution (though the VC resolution is limited by the model), built from the ground up for FSX, and there are several other improvements. Almost done now... should be another week or two. I'm having a ton of fun getting it there though!Yes, you can use the F/A-18 HUD in the F-16's VC, no problem. The trick would be to find the ONE perfect eyepoint setting that makes the ladder and flight path marker 100 % accurate. I was supposed to do that very thing for someone this week, and I will... so I'll just post those eyepoint settings here, too.

Guest Redvan

>Short answer is yes, but with one qualification:>>Extract from the Viper.txt in viperupx.zip which can be>downloaded at FlightSim.com (I've checked, it's still there):>>"2D cockpit works fine/VC cockpit needs HUD symbology.">>You will need Kirk's original FS9 VIPER folder. Installation>instructions come with the FSX compatibility update.>>Mike>>>>viperupx.zip is the same as viper.zip found here by Bob Chicilo... I already got that one... there is no viper.txt, nor any instructions on what to do...so how would an install procedure go? Kirks origional, then what?

Guest Redvan

if it looks and functions better, I'm all for it :)

Guest Redvan

anyone know an install procedure?

My apologies, Redvan, you are correct, there is no Viper.txt file. I had forgotten that I had lifted the text from a forum posting somewhere and saved it as Viper.txt for future reference.My FS9 Installation Files:USVIPER.zipfullf16pnl.zipF-16_upgrade.zipIf I were you and needed to install from scratch, then start by doing so to a temporary folder using ONLY the content of the USVIPER.zip. I don't think you need Eric Marciano's panel or the FS9 upgrade as the FSX Compatibility update (below) supplies all that is needed for FSX.Now, copy the VIPER folder over to Microsoft Simulator XSimObjectsAirplanes. Delete aircraft.cfg and viper.air and also the Panel folder. Replace with the FSX compatibility files from the archive (*) below.http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/175518.jpg(*)FSX Compatibility update:viperupx.zip (contains the read me.txt file)Remember to also copy/paste contents of Gauges and [/b]Effects[/b] from the above FSX compatibility update archive into their respective FSX Gauges and Effects folder. There is no thumbnail.jpg so I've provided a link below to one I created for your use. Place it in the VIPERtexture folder and the F-16 will appear in the aircraft selection screen.http://download.xdrive.com/s/848743795j5vH...PP&partner=plusHope this sorts things out for you.Mike

Guest Redvan

>My apologies, Redvan, you are correct, there is no Viper.txt>file. I had forgotten that I had lifted the text from a forum>posting somewhere and saved it as Viper.txt for future>reference.>>My FS9 Installation Files:>>USVIPER.zip>fullf16pnl.zip>F-16_upgrade.zip>>If I were you and needed to install from scratch, then start>by doing so to a temporary folder using ONLY the>content of the USVIPER.zip. I don't think you need Eric>Marciano's panel or the FS9 upgrade as the FSX Compatibility>update (below) supplies all that is needed for FSX.>>Now, copy the VIPER folder over to Microsoft Simulator>XSimObjectsAirplanes. Delete aircraft.cfg and viper.air and>also the Panel folder. Replace with the FSX compatibility>files from the archive (*) below.>>http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/175518.jpg>>>(*)FSX Compatibility update:>viperupx.zip (contains the read me.txt file)>>Remember to also copy/paste contents of Gauges and>[/b]Effects[/b] from the above FSX compatibility update>archive into their respective FSX Gauges and Effects folder.>There is no thumbnail.jpg so I've provided a link below to one>I created for your use. Place it in the VIPERtexture folder>and the F-16 will appear in the aircraft selection screen.>>http://download.xdrive.com/s/848743795j5vH...PP&partner=plus>>Hope this sorts things out for you.>>Mike>>>>>>>followed steps exactly and when I load up the F-16, after clicking "run" when it asks to run the different gauges and such, it says "Gauge created for Flight Sim 98 or earlier and is no longer supported: F16HUD" Is that normal?Thanks for the thumbnail :)

"followed steps exactly and when I load up the F-16, after clicking "run" when it asks to run the different gauges and such, it says "Gauge created for Flight Sim 98 or earlier and is no longer supported: F16HUD" Is that normal?"It's a while since I installed it into FSX so I can't give you a definitive answer. All I know is the 2D cockpit works fine whereas the VC cockpit lacks the HUD. This is a known issue. I am assuming that is why you are seeing the reference to the unsupported FS98 gauge for the "F16HUD"If you accept everything during the initial load does it work as is?One thing I have noted is you have to switch to the 2D Cockpit to get the afterburner effects to work. Strange but true!I have not loaded the Viper since the creation of a new FSX.cfg a few weeks back. So, I loaded it this evening and saw Security Warnings for F16.GAU, Cessna208.GAU and Concorde.GAU. All three I designated as 'Trusted' and selected 'Yes' to automatically load whenever FS is started.This is what I am seeing:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/175526.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/175527.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/175528.jpgThe images have been enhanced for the sake of clarity. Normally gradient banding is not visible in the sky (see 3rd image).Mike

Guest Redvan

yeah that's what i see... although i accidentally happened upon "shift+2" bringing up HUD in VC :) funny lookin, but it works :) Guess we'll just have to wait for Aerosofts F-16 for a classier pit :)