Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Truth about 4090 connector.

Acording to Gamers Nexus.

They sent the adapters to a failure analysis lab. And did lots of testing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Virtual-Chris said:

Sounds like it’s largely down to owners not seating the cable in the socket fully... User error. 

Looks like not seating the connector properly is the primary cause, along with that connector being pulled out of place even more as the cables are manipulated in the case to cable manage.

Foreign object debris inside the connector makes the situation worse so they say.

I would agree with Gamers Nexus, in that if this can happen to a connector and result in a fire, then maybe there needs to be a redesign so that its more obvious that the connector needs an extra shove. 

The bottom line seems to be, make sure your connectors are fully inserted!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, martin-w said:

Looks like not seating the connector properly is the primary cause, along with that connector being pulled out of place even more as the cables are manipulated in the case to cable manage.

Foreign object debris inside the connector makes the situation worse so they say.

I would agree with Gamers Nexus, in that if this can happen to a connector and result in a fire, then maybe there needs to be a redesign so that its more obvious that the connector needs an extra shove. 

The bottom line seems to be, make sure your connectors are fully inserted!

yes , dont understand the 4  8pin connectors its overkill for 600w they mange +1200w 

i bought from cablemods for my evga 1600w with 3, 8pin and the sense pins grounded for 600w , mine card have 2 x connectors use 6, 8pin on powersupplay.

i do the cooling as i did on the 3090 lot of work, they have no cooling ready yet they give me a full cover block when they ar ready.

here a pic with a modded sense connector , if you have powercables for 3090ti without sense pins

https://www.dropbox.com/s/fyoinyebkchq9hf/image0000011.jpg?dl=0

Edited by westman
  • Like 1