Sign in to follow this  
Touradg

Any hope for Cloud's Shadow? - Number of variables insi...

>For the record I'd like to see cloud shadows too, if it can>be feasibly done. I too but those shadows better look right. All shadows at present are way TOO strong, these are shadows similar to what you see on the Moon. :-erks I am better of without such shadows at all. Michael J.http://img142.imageshack.us/img142/9320/apollo17vf7.jpg

Hi NotASenatorI meant declared variables as they are actually updated continually. I have exactly the same idea and agree with you. And because of this I guess that it might be around millions. I myself tried to guess that by counting number of objects inside the area of simulation and also other factors such as weather, AI, ATC, Flight dynamic, Navigations and

Iransim Administrator

Microsoft Flight Simulator Add-on Developer Since 1998

Robert Goddard said: It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

And something about DX10,As I said earlier in this post and as reply to Phil, some features inside fsx are not mandatory but they are in and some are mandatory but they are not. I do not want to blame the team but believe me or not I have seen lots of people who learned how to fly in Fs and now they are in heavy irons just because of FS, I have seen many of my friends who became solo in 2-5 hours just because of this simulator, so it is going to be a training tool rather than a game (I really get angry when someone says it is a game). In my country we have many simulation institutes or companies which use fs as their training tools. I believe that instead of paying attention to unnecessary elements in fsx (although very nice) which are not part of flight itself, adding things like cloud's shadow or dust or volumetric clouds which you actually get lost inside them or even better taxi light and many other elements which are part of real world flying and are not in fsx Would make it seem more a training tool than a game. I am not critic of missions, animals, road traffics and so on but I think they already have things more important than those to create or actually fix. You have added bloom, right? If it is too resource hungry we just turn it off. But at least it is there, it is inside the world of flight simulator. And something else I really don't want to blame the fs team as in my idea they have already created a miracle (thumbs up). I just want to make it better and more realistic because this simulator is part of my life :DThank youTouradg

Iransim Administrator

Microsoft Flight Simulator Add-on Developer Since 1998

Robert Goddard said: It is difficult to say what is impossible, for the dream of yesterday is the hope of today and the reality of tomorrow.

Guest sheeny

NO CAST SHADOWS - Trees & BuildingsIm not sure if its just my copy of FSX DELUXE or what but have the cast shadows all but gone from FSX?, apart from on airports other planes and water, theres no cast shadows from buildings or trees. For example put the time to something like 19:00 when the shadows will be long and lush, fly and have a look on the ground..... the only things to cast a shadow are things on the airport and at sea!?. If it is just my copy then please show me a picture with cast shadows in non-airport non-sea photo screen shots because I cant see any...System Specs:Gigabyte 965P-S3 MotherboardDual Core E6700 3.55ghz2 GIG DDR II RAM8800GTX Graphics Card

The cloud shadows checkbox at CES, 18 MONTHS ago, was a big HOAX to make people buy DX10 and Vista. Obviously there is no cloud shadows code. This much is obvious...... Now :-fume

It should have been obvious in the free demo of fsx that there were no cloud shadows-thus enabling those who did not want to buy dx10, Vista or Fsx to avoid doing so if cloud shadows or avoiding new operating systems was their purpose in life. I am sure more had access to the demo than CES.There were probably a number of features that were added after CES and a few dropped like cloud shadows.http://mywebpages.comcast.net/geofa/pages/rxp-pilot.jpgForum Moderatorhttp://geofageofa.spaces.live.com/

I see shadows from placed buildings - airports and city's but not from Autogen. Some objects seem to cast shadows while others do not i.e cranes in a dock do but a ship next to it casts no shadow...I also see shadows cast by the terrain.Cloud shadows would look stunning, but I dread to think what sort of impact they would have on frame rates - one can dream though.

Guest sheeny

>I see shadows from placed buildings - airports and city's but>not from Autogen. Some objects seem to cast shadows while>others do not i.e cranes in a dock do but a ship next to it>casts no shadow.Thats exactly what I'm seeing!, thanks REDLINE for you feedback, its much appreciated. Now can anyone else varify this, ie. Autogen Scenery not casting shadows???. No problem with shadows cast by the terrain either.Clouds casting shadows might work in DX10.

I repeat, no it wont.The feature set for DX10 is smaller than we would like due to the focused dev time we had available, SP1 ran 6-8 weeks longer than we planned and cut into DX10 time. That was the right thing to do for the community, as SP1 was and is more important than DX10 support.

Guest sheeny

Hi Phil,Ok understandable about DX10. What about the Autogen scenery not casting shadows in FSX though?, is this a bug thats going to be fixed by a future service pack in FSX?. The issue is with me anyway, is that more attention to cast shadows in FSX would have more greatfully recieved than say the moving cars,boats etc. I'm not talking about cast shadows from clouds either, I'm talking about cast shadows from builds & trees (Autogen scenery mostly), there are none in this version of Flight Simulator. I think and I'm sure alot of people will agree with me on this, the cast shadowing was far better in FS2004. Ok maybe it is a resource hog but at least give us the option of turning it on through the menu's.Best Reguards,signed,Sam,Jess,Ben,Rocket,Wadey,Seth,Isabel.

I'd have to disagree. Shadows are static and I stop noticing them. to the point that I turn shadows off for the performance improvement. Moving cars and boats, etc. add life to what was a quite dead looking product in FS2004.In my experience, the moving cars, especially with the Ultimate Terrain/X addon, totally bring FS to life for me in a way that isn't describable without seeing it, and you can't capture that effect in a picture.Shadows would be cool occasionally for me, but I'd rather have the performance I get with them turned off.Thomas[a href=http://www.flyingscool.com] http://www.flyingscool.com/images/Signature.jpg [/a]I like using VC's :-)N15802 KASH '73 Piper Cherokee Challenger 180

Tom Perry

Signature.jpg

Hi there,actually, you are mistaken that autogen buildings or trees cast shadows in FS9, they don't! As far as I can tell, FSX is the same in that regard as FS9: autogen doesn't cast shadows but custom objects, including the generic ones, do so if the checkbox is active.Below are two comparison shots that point to the same behavior with regards to shadows, with custom buildings casting shadows and autogen/generic buildings not. More direct comparisons (though not taken specifically with regards to shadowing) are on this page: http://www.hsandmann.com/FSX/VanPlusFSX/Va...omp_fs2004.htmlCheers, Holgerhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178298.jpghttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/178299.jpg

Autogen brings the best computers to their knees. "Scenery cast shawdows" gives most computers hernia. Now you want augtogen that cast shawdows? No system will be able to handle that..not for another 10 years!