Sign in to follow this  
lliaudais

Eyepoint question

Guest nwa60

Hi all,I noticed in FSX, that the eyepoint view is not functioning in the 2D cockpit but works fine in VC. In FS9, eyepoint works in both 2D and VC.Is there a fix or tweak for this problem?Thnx in advance,Larry

Larry,FSX is not FS9. The 2D in FSX is just a special case of the VC - one where you don't see the VC panel when you look forward, but a "2D" panel. You do see the VC interior in other directions, just not the front. And if you use shift+backspace while looking at the 2D panel ON THE GROUND, you will see clearly that you are lowering the viewpoint; look to the side when you've gone all the way down and you'll see that you've really lowered your viewpoint below the aircraft - but you took the 2D panel with you. What I think you may be asking is how come you can't see the runway better by using Shift enter/backspace like before. That's because it IS a VC and the view DOES go up and down but it takes the panel with it and it doesn't TILT like it did before. Tilt down for better view is now CTRL+Q. Using shift+CTRL+Q tilts the view upward. Ya gotta look for these kinds of things in the learning center. There have been just enough changes to throw you for a loop if you don't refer to the documentation first when you think something doesn't work right. I think one of those little pamphlets that were in the box even mentions using the new key combination to see better when landing. If you still think there's a problem, give us some more details and we'll try to help.Loyd

Guest JoeW

In the aircraft.cfg is a heading [VIEWS]Under that is:EYEPOINT=X,Y,ZWhere:X=longitudialY=LateralZ=VerticalThis is from the datum line in feet.Joe W.

Guest nwa60

Loyd and Joe,>FSX is not FS9. The 2D in FSX is just a special case of the>VC - one where you don't see the VC panel when you look>forward, but a "2D" panel. You do see the VC interior in other>directions, just not the front. >Ya gotta look for these kinds of things in the learning>center. There have been just enough changes to throw you for a>loop if you don't refer to the documentation first when you>think something doesn't work right. I think one of those>little pamphlets that were in the box even mentions using the>new key combination to see better when landing. Thanx for the info!I did play around with the views after I posted my question last night, and found exactly what you were referring to with regards to the 2D panel window. It was just too late to retract my post.The pamphlet makes only a general reference to the view options. Guess I'll have to find and visit the Learning Center before I ask questions.>If you still think there's a problem, give us some more>details and we'll try to help.I didn't "mean to imply" that there was a problem with FSX, just that "I" was having an "problem" with one of the functions, and couldn't find an answer.Joe,Thanx also for the info. I did notice the referrences in the aircraft.cfg, but chose not to alter it until I was sure of the effect.Thnx again,Larry

i think it really works just the way it did in the past, just the keyboard commands changed. To emphasize what Lloyd wrote, the "eyepoint" has always been a linear distance of the view from the aircraft reference point, expressed in feet. But in 2D, the panel is always placed in the same relative position to the viewer, regardless of the settings. It's just the world behind the panel that changes. Unless you are really close to the ground, it's hard to see.In the 2D, when people write about "raising the seat" what is meant is the View_forward_dir, which is really a rotation of the viewpoint (can't recall offhand if it is degrees or radians), kept at the same position (as set by eyepoint). The effect if you rotate down, is to make the view behind the 2d panel to appear to rise, relative to the panel. The 2d view is also affected by the zoom and the size_y (size_y "squishes" the screen view towards the top half of the window, so you "see" more of the view with the 2d panel in place. cycle through the mini-panel or no panel views to see the effect). scott s..

Larry,No worries about changing things in the aircraft config file IF you keep the old entry as a comment; very easy to undo.Since you can pause the sim, edit the file, resave, reload a/c and keep right on going with the new values, testing is relatively easy. For example, there are many a/c that have interiors modeled and an easy way to 'move' about the AC is to have alternate viewpoints ready to activate in the config. Here are some alternate viewpoints for the Dassault Falcon 50 for FS2002 that I flew also in FS9-Views-//eyepoint=15.70,-1.45,2.4 // original view//eyepoint=22.70,-1.40,2.4 // pilot's seat//eyepoint= 1.0, -1.40,2.4 // passenger lounge 1eyepoint= 5.0, 1.40,2.4 // passenger lounge 2Just comment out all the lines that aren't being used and you can experiment to your heart's content.Loyd